• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The HMS Agamemnon

Nice work mate. :dance
A deck plan of the HMS Bellona in the FTP folder Takeda-One available in PDF format.

Thanks, I haven't looked at it yet though :)
I'm gonna stick with the deckplans from the book "The Anatomy of the Ship - The 74-Gun Ship Bellona", I'd recommend it to anyone making a ship of the line.

Here's another screenshot, the dummy guns you see in this picture are hidden behind bulkheads (So you wouldn't have been able to see them if you were standing on the deck).

Upperdeck.jpg

This is coming along very nicely :)

Btw, did you UV-map the hull yet? If not, it may be a bit early to cut out the gunports as it just complicates the uv-mapping, especially if you´ve used a boolean operator.

Here's another update, all the gunports has been added apart from those on the quaterdeck.

Next thing to do is modeling the upper deck's interior...... I really should begin making the textures, but I hate doing them :D

Agamemnonwithdeck.jpg

I might need an advise as to what to do with the poop and quaterdeck rail, Should they appear as when the ship was first launched? or as they would around 1800? (As the Agamemnon saw action for 28 years she was modified a couple of times just like many other SotLs at the time.)

:gday

You may have noticed the lack of updates lately, this is because I ran into a series of problems... first the booleans function stopped working (Not a major problem, but very annoying when it happens).

Anyway.. the real problem is that this ship, as dumb as it sounds might not be the Agamemnon :modding

On the drawings I got from the NMM it says Agamemnon 1764, however the dimensions are not the same as those on most of the wooden models I've been using as reference.

Therefore I'm gonna put this project on hold for now until I've resolved the problem (I might even have to redo it).

How big are the differences? IIRC the Agi went through various refits during her rather long career and the differences might be a result of those.

How big are the differences? IIRC the Agi went through various refits during her rather long career and the differences might be a result of those.

The first thing I noticed was the Main Wale and Channel Wale, also the position of some of the gunports on the Quarter deck (though this may be because of a diffrent rail for better protection in her later years.)
Would you change the location of the Wales during a replanking? :mm

I might release her as a 64-SotL though, and make a new attempt on the actual Agamemnon later... I have a feeling that the ship I'm making is her sistership the HMS Ardent which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just wasn't what I planned :cheeky

either way, I was planning on doing a "late" version of Agamemnon, but if I continue with this one I'm gonna have to remake the deck and rail, and call her an "early" version because of the wales.

Would you change the location of the Wales during a replanking?

Well, some 60s or 74s lost an entire gundeck during a refit so a repositioning of the whales is certainly possible :cheeky Especially if a different layout of the whales on vessels of a similiar size (or even later built, modified sister ships) was thought to have more advantages. Ship building has been more of an art than a science at the time and a lot of trial and error was involved.

either way, I was planning on doing a "late" version of Agamemnon, but if I continue with this one I'm gonna have to remake the deck and rail, and call her an "early" version because of the wales.

Just say you built the ship 'as planned' in 1764 :cheeky And you have a good base for a Nelson era Agamemnon.

I've been working a bit on it. :yes

I've joined the army and going through basic training before I can do officer school, so I haven't got much time to work on it :dance

Back