• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug The Mysterious Plants quest - where did the prison officer go?

I hope I have now resolved the issues identified plus those I came across whilst looking at this again.

Fixed dialogue with greenford commander about warehouse.

Changed apothecary/Jack Sparrow dialogues. (still to put a note in walkthrough)

Tested @Jack Rackham's fix for constant looping and (after further consultation) have left the puzzle set without spurious dialogues if you give up (so you could do it later in theory). I also intend to add some hints under spoiler wraps for the hotel piece and perhaps a bit for the end walkthrough in the wiki.

Fixed a couple of instances of wrong dialogue occurring with unusual pathways through the quest.

Interestingly @Fluen 's save was using crew ashore not officers and they re-appear in Cartagena (without your ship) and in the attic if doing it later. I've not fixed that that for now.

My games is currently sept 2020 but I doubt any affected file has changed?

Attachments

• Apothecary tweaks.7z
    92 KB · Views: 116
Thanks for that, @pedrwyth! :cheers

"PROGRAM\QUESTS\quests_side.c" has certainly changed since September 2020, but I always use WinMerge to check new stuff. I've used it to add in your "Mysterious Plants" fixes to a new version of the file containing some other new changes.

Interestingly @Fluen 's save was using crew ashore not officers and they re-appear in Cartagena (without your ship) and in the attic if doing it later. I've not fixed that that for now.

Yes, I always use crewmembers as backup, as officers are expensive and don't upgrade the same as crewmembers. Crewmembers seem to match the main character, who needs to learn to fight really quick to survive, while I prefer my officers to keep my ships afloat and focus on those perks for them.

But I didn't have my crewmembers as company, when I went to Cartegna or in the hotel. From the moment I went aboard Cook's ship, I was alone about handling things. So if pedrwyth found himself accompanied by crewmembers in Cartegna, there might be differences in our files?

Yes, I always use crewmembers as backup, as officers are expensive and don't upgrade the same as crewmembers. Crewmembers seem to match the main character, who needs to learn to fight really quick to survive, while I prefer my officers to keep my ships afloat and focus on those perks for them.

The first time I even thought about it was when I went to meet Cook at the lighthouse, there was suddenly an alarm and the crew ran off towards the lighthouse. For an instant I thought I had somehow triggered the indians but then realised it was just one of the land events that can trigger if you are using crew ashore. Had me going for a second though, I think I just talked to Cook and ignored it. I did then try and see if it had any impact on the crew rescue in the warehouse but it seemed OK

But I didn't have my crewmembers as company, when I went to Cartegna or in the hotel. From the moment I went aboard Cook's ship, I was alone about handling things. So if pedrwyth found himself accompanied by crewmembers in Cartegna, there might be differences in our files?
No, whilst my files did alter as I worked to fix the issues this was just me being stupid/confused.

I generated many saves for different scenarios whilst testing including one that returned with Cook and then immediately returned to Cartagena (and before formally giving up at the Apothecary) to test events at the hotel under these conditions and it was this one that (naturally) had the crew in Cartagena but I had later forgotten how it was generated. The removal of your ship and crew when with Cook should ensure you have zero crew to help you. However if you return later you can have crew (if activated) and this is when they appear in the attic if you go there. No big deal since you are a long way from the plot line by then.

Thanks to @Jack Rackham and @pedrwyth for further fixing this one! :bow

And I have played the Woodes Rogers quest and did not find it interesting. After all, I'm in this for sea battles and island-spanding missions. For puzzles I play Tomb Raider.
Fair enough.
Different things for different people, right?

There is certainly sense in that.

That's of course one of the reasons that feature exists at all; and why you no longer need your officers to follow you ashore for them to contribute their perks.

You CAN hire specific "fighter" officers who you can then upgrade and equip to your liking to help you out ashore.
But... you can also not do that. :cheeky

Back