• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The old rule holds true

kiithsomtaaw

Landlubber
As has been true in many many games, AOP2 is no different,

The AI can not Drive,

they seem to be oblivious to land, rocks, and each other, continuing to drive into each other, get in each other way, half the time its like they try to play chicken with the ships.

The also don't discriminate when firing, if your in between the AI ship and its target, even if its one of your fleet, they will happily fire over (or more often through) you

XD hurrah for Artificial Stupidity, may it never change

Hence why I play with only one ship, expcept when doing a trade run.

I watched in disbelief when one of my big ships turned around and sunk my favorite little war tartane. I guess the ships captain couldn't see her. It made the game seem more real as I saw the whole thing unfold but it was sad to watch none the less as my little tartane is now gone to Davy Jones locker. Bad AI or realism? I have fired on my own ships by accident during the heat of battle so this does happen.

AI problem.
The one thing I have had a problem with is some times after going ashore then returning to my fleet of ships one of my ships is in another bay and tries to drive through land to get to my location receiving damage while it tries to do so. This is an obvious AI problem, so I always quick save before boarding my ship from a towns pier.

Now, when I first leave any harbor I fly the sail at half mast and some times even issue orders for my other ships to raise there sails, so they don't move, then order them to sail away one at a time to avoid collisions and damage. 

For me this is still the best wooden ship simulation, rpg, and realistic play, open ended game ever. Load a small ship up with gun powder then send it on a explosion run. Or captain a war tartane into battle. You have to be really close to your target ship while aboard the tartane and things get really exiting.

For what its worth, I've been playing Sid M. Pirates all weekend but all the dancing with homely daughters is poopen me out. Still its a pirates in little ships game and very enjoyable. Moves a little to fast for my liking though, and it is very buggy, it crashes all the time. But its very fun and good for the whole family kind of game.

At least most of the AI problems in the aop2 game are obvious after a while and it rarely crashes on my system. Just try to be aware of the reoccurring bugs and adjust your play accordingly if possible.  

Happy Sailing............ Lord Fauntleroy
----------------------------------------------
This is of a little exploding tartane, she was loaded with gun powder. I sent her to explode near the pirate ship. That ship was ultimately captured by my little 64 man war tartane crew. 
Sorry for the darkness of the picture :-( this was a great great battle that lasted about an hour.

http://www.imgxc.com...mage/q3iY84.jpg

Back