• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Pilgrim Sails Again in Buccaneers!

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
The Ocean Institute's famous brig sails once more in virtual form!

Some of you may be familiar with the Pilgrim, a replica brig based in Dana Point, California. She has been used as a floating classroom for many years, inspiring generations of children and teaching them about maritime history.

y4mOL6qjbcI39qhA9pejH0ZMtpNCGx_cn590P76fyoy1zYFlPu7NZ58YgB8npc6b3HfmAcMkIkC8bhNcU5NvHxHfm8iG84W7xfH4D-KQLzX8S_0U0X-OKSzbtCOyHroZGpgjVlACtSnUGOAxwK2Rv3W7n_pGTyRkNXFBM7x3HjJwcvFVoJu07SIdoTC80ggrMSoJouPLV_NrtSM1RCsQdOAPA

Image credit: Dan Goldbacher, The Ocean Institute

The original Pilgrim was a 19th century merchant brig made famous by the novel Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana Jr., in which he depicts his journey from Boston to California aboard the vessel. The modern replica started life as a three-masted schooner, built in 1945 in Denmark, before being converted to a brig in Portugal in 1975. The Ocean Institute acquired the ship in 1981 and has been using her ever since as part of their educational program.

Sadly, the replica sank in her slip earlier this year, and as there was no safe way to raise the vessel, she was dismantled shortly afterwards.

Now, as part of Skyward Digital's partnership with the Ocean Institute, the Pilgrim has been virtually recreated as a playable vessel in Buccaneers!, and will feature in the institute's upcoming Maritime Festival.

y4mdkqUQ0w7zrIoPbVT09W0PVttyKLlNZFM8-ws4dGoNdAayoppzh4QbZtTYuqttXql9S6AgqaEGEgXR96EtMU1i-cQnmHR6eWEYmQvhc028uwcrFLRlUWdK6bltkM_2XFJMwMvNewaaWAqAwCDtVVSHqWuW8lRiaYEwToKVsh_4tCwm7jQhM0qcWUMxJsilqGZO7_TY-AyVIOJ9JDJmlcNBw

The Pilgrim will be available as a DLC ship when Buccaneers! launches, and a portion of the DLC's proceeds will go to the Ocean Institute to support their ongoing efforts.

You can find out more about the Ocean Institute on their website.
For more information about Buccaneers!, be sure to visit the Steam page and follow our social channels:

Attachments

• OI_Maritime-Festival_Main-Logo.png
    OI_Maritime-Festival_Main-Logo.png
    32 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Nice story, even if a sad one.

Though in the end the legacy will continue, which warms my heart, beautiful ship she is. :love

Welcome back, dear Pilgrim!
She's a real beaut. :woot

Now suddenly I understand why you wanted to get in contact with @Post Captain.
He sailed on her if I remember. :shock

The Pilgrim will be available as a DLC ship when Buccaneers! launches, and a portion of the DLC's proceeds will go to the Ocean Institute to support their ongoing efforts.
Really noble effort. :onya

Back