• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Reputation Problem

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Several people have mentioned the reputatain bug in the build. My latest encounter was after successfully getting married and spending " a wonderful night and day" when I tried to address my bride she said "what cheek, how dare you speak to me like that" and my rep dropped from neutral to swindler.

For me this rasied two issues:

1. What casued my "wife to react that way? That seemes very odd.

2. It doesn't seem like the exchange should casue any drop in rep let alone on like that.

Also it seems much harder to raise rep than to drop it.

I've noticed that when a longer period of time passes (at a shipyard, for example, or spending "a night and day" with your wife), your reputation couls drop. I don't know if it's a bug or actually meant to happen, but these reputation "problems" may be very well caused by this.

Oh so its a bug? I was a Hero, fought some pirates, and at the end of the battle my rep went to Bloke.

Jason: Maybe you two need marriage consuleing :yes

This IS a problem... Because my relations with the pirate were hostile, yet while battling them at Douwesen (by the fort) I fired upon and ONLY HIT the pirates (no Dutch ships were present) (and no, I did not hit the fort) and WHAM, my rep went from Neutral to Bloody Terror in one jump!

<!--`QuoteBegin-Jason`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jason)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Also it seems much harder to raise rep than to drop it.[/quote]Yes, I've noticed that too. It's more expensive at the church... However if you persist, you can go back and forth through a jungle portal and find damsels in distress to rescue - after you save enough of them - most will thank you and say they'll tell everyone about how brave you are - your rep will jump up enough levels to at least have the locals willing to talk to you again.

But I will say it again, it is a problem! :yes :cheers

Weird indeed.
I guess the only solution will be to run a trace() whenever ChangeCharacterReputation is called, to get a bead on when it is.

Sorry. :yes

<snicker!>

Hey I just had something interesting happen to me - Playing at Adventurer, I was at level 20 and boarded a Lineship and took her (from my Corvette). Seems to me there might have also been a Fleut involved (that I also took) but I sold it... Think I also sank a rank 1 ship, whatever it was... Anyhoo...

I knew during the melee battle that I'd upped a level... Well. I took a looksee and found I'd upped TEN LEVELS. WOW!

I didn't think I'd done anything that spectacular that warranted a jump that high, especially since I'd been struggling at Swashbuckler and dying a LOT... Heh...

But the jump seemed odd, just like the jump from Neutral to Bloody Terror in the rep... Unnatural... ???

Just kinda weird, you know?

Haha, right Rico! I wasn't *complaining*, just noticing that it is one of those odd jumps like the rep drop...

I haven't gone far enough yet to see whether this will repeat itself if I go out and capture and sink some more ships - been busy with other things...

But... You know I'll be out there again soon! :cheers Should be fun... :yes

Now now, none of that. I'm a mortal, just like everyone else. :woot

Regarding tracing.
One of the functions Akella left in POTC for debugging is the trace(string tracestr) function.
It will output to complile.log the string passed to it.
I.e. trace("CCRep started, old rep " + oldrep + ", new rep " +newrep);
Which will output to compile.log, say, CCRep started, old rep 45, new rep 40
All the stuff in compile.log is done via tracing.

Back