1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

The Smart Start Mod Version 21: New starting gear for Charles! (CHEAT CODES TOO!) (patch 1.5.2)

Discussion in 'Sea Dogs: To Each His Own' started by begginfokillz, Oct 25, 2017.

1. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

NOW UPDATED TO V1.5.2! TOTALLY REWRITTEN NON BETA RELEASE VERSION NOW AVAILABLE!

it uses latest game files, so no issues will occur. fully tested. Enjoy :)
    ALSO, community cheat codes available since version 17!

NOTICE: Incompatible with MOST MODS for the moment. please be aware of that!
    ahoy lads,

i have created a simple but helpful mod, to get new start gear, which you may enjoy at any point, if you store it in the proper storage unit before talking to the local boss man ;)

Version 21 is the most current variant.
    This mod allows you to start with different gear, according to taste. Three balanced starts, and one super start, aka the fourth one. It will be obvious if you see it. All come with a bespoke fleut instead of starting sloop or lugger!

The main variant is the normal version, which is version 20, and it includes the following kit, as issued at start of game to the damned annoying french rich kid your forced to use at the beginning:

Since Version 12.0 gear includes, but is not limited to:
    Dueling pistol x3
    Schiavona (sword) x1
    Cartridges x325
    250k Starting Cash*
    Gold Cross x1
    Castilian ciurass x1
    health elixirs x125
    nautical spyglass x1
    AND you start with some even better skills AND better stats (lvl 15 each)*
    AND you start with some ability points! (x7 ship, x7 personal!)*
    AND the redskin officer is enhanced!
    AND You can keep your gear post arrest!
    AND loan by father benoit is much larger
    AND Starting Ship is a CUSTOM FLEUT!

*starting hero kit 4 only

I tested it, and consider it very balanced and fun at same time. Version 10 is the latest and most up to date variant. I also think of the logic as, your a noble, why not bring some small starting gear from the homeland if you don't know what to expect!

Changelog 10/25/2017 8:58 am:
    Better start gear
    less start money
    included potions of health
    changes readme from .rtf to .txt
    changes packing of mod from .rar to .zip

Changelog 10/28/2017 9.21 am:
    removed the other files for being overly op, and there are now only two downloads. It simplifies stuff.

changelog 10/28/2017 5:36 pm:
    final public version uploaded. Will continue to update though
    Deleted download for version 6, and it is replaced with version 7

changelog 10/30/2017 10:27 am:
    deleted version 7 and naval officer edition, and put in a main single version, version 10

changelog 10/30/2017 8:37 pm:
    Final update to public version. version ten now has start ship changed, and fix for regatta quest...i think.

changelog 10/31/2017 10:06 am:
    Fixed a broken quest from fadey and regatta should be fixed...again...i hope
    requires new save

changelog 10/31/2017 1:31 pm:
    Fixed regatta.....again...i i swear upon me mum.
    requires new save

changelog 11/1/2017 10:08 am:
    Updated to latest patch.
    requires new save

changelog 11/2/2017 10:08 am:
    Updated to latest patch. and made open beta downloadable
    requires new save

changelog 11/2/2017 5:40 pm:
    Fixed a folk dulc bug

changelog 11/3/2017 4:58 pm:
    added community cheat codes

changelog 11/5/2017 8:32 am:
    added more community cheat codes
    fixed broken dialog
    removed old variants to clear up space
    added version 18

changelog 11/5/2017 10:07 pm:
    added more community cheat codes
    added version 20
    Nerfed super start for reasons i will not explain

changelog 11/6/2017 10:47 pm:
    Fixed major bug
    added version 21

changelog 11/6/2017 10:47 pm:
    Fixed multiple UNKNOWN TO ME PREVIOUSLY major bugs involving the new npc's
    added version 2 accordingly

the attached .rar files are what you need to use. Follow the instructions in the readme. I am not giving any more info than this. The Readme will explain it all :D

Do note, however, that this will require a separate mod. Again, read the Readme for further info

//***********COMMUNITY CHEATS AVAILBLE:**************\\
    Key Effect
    ----------------------------------------------------
    // C God mode On/Off
    // U +50,000 PESOS
    // I +250,000 PESOS
    // O +1,000 DUBLOONS
    // Z SQUAD EQUIPMENT DROP
    // L Ammo Resupply
    // P Spawn a Glorious Russian Badass
    // Y Spawn a Expendable French Badass
    // N Spawn a Russian Half Demon
    //~ +5 Skill points
    // ? ????????????

*cheats are in version 17 and after only

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. LarryHookins

LarryHookins Buccaneer Staff Member Storm Modder

There are a few problems here.

The mod needs a more descriptive and unique name than MyMod.

A required version number is absolutely essential. Without it this mod is guaranteed to start breaking people's code by the next update. @kb31 needs to modify the program so that you have to give a version number or the mod won't work.

The readme file should be text, not rtf, and should have the same name as the mod so people can find it.

Each character type should have a weapon appropriate to his class. You've given them all the same starting weapon, along with the new weapon. If you're giving them a new weapon, at least give them one that matches their weapons class. It looks like you just copied and pasted HeroType_1's code to all the rest.

You've removed most of the gems they're given, and given them and instead given them 25 of one of them.

The mod gives them 55 bullets and powder, not 25.

If they get arrested, they'll lose the 25000 you've given them, right? And everything else. Some people using this mod won't know about getting arrested and losing their stuff.

I'm not sure why you've given them two spyglasses.

Hook

Edit: And just to be sure, I've never started the game with less than about 55,000 by the time I bought my ship. You can get even more with the new option to skip the tutorial.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

first, thanks for the criticism and feedback. It was constructive and helps me make things better, and yes, most of that is true, and i consider most of it good, rather than bad, but i do admit some points you brought up do need fixing. i am changing readme to .txt as we speak. also, i thought chest in grotto was common knowledge. i always store stuff in the grotto pre arrest. The dummy spyglass is to be equipped so you can store good stuff in chest. the HeroType_1 is indeed copy pasted, since liked the loadout i made/customized/probably screwed up with for it. You do have a good idea though: i will likely make a new type per class. ETA indeterminate.

also, many thanks for the "WARNING: remove this mod after using it to get the new starting items. It will break your game when the game is updated. I will remove this warning if the mod is fixed". it will help future down loaders and ill add it to the readme for the moment, in case it indeed breaks stuff post update.

again, many thanks. editing the stuff now. but i might not change many things, its my mod, but I still respect some points.

thanks for trying it enough to give feedback :D

4. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

according to my experiments, it seems that adding a version number breaks mod itself ;-;

5. LarryHookins

If you add the wrong version number, it's INTENDED to break the mod. That's what the version number is for. When a new version is released, the version number in the game is supposed to change. Last time it kept the same date even with some changes to the code. The next DLC will finish Charles' story and the one after that will add a new character and that is absolutely guaranteed to change the code in that particular file.

Y0u should be able to follow the examples in other mods to get the correct format for the version number.

Hookmod is
    ReqVersion=ver. 1.5.1.ENG

Active map doesn't have a version number because the file it changes isn't being used by the game.

If you've got a cracked copy of the game, you won't be able to add a version number (we don't know what it should be anyway) and you're likely to mess up everyone's game that isn't cracked. If you have a cracked copy of the game, please do not attempt to publish mods. Or publish them on whatever site you got the cracked game from.

Note: version 3 didn't fix anything but using a good name in the ini file and changing the readme file to text. The readme file still has the wrong name. I suggest NewStartKit.txt for the name. The default weapons are still the same.

Hook

6. LarryHookins

As for the chest in the grotto, it's better than one in a house or the tavern room, but not as good as the one behind the fort on the right. You have to go there to get the wine quest from the soldier anyway, and it's closer than the grotto.

I just noticed the money and health potion changes. Seems good. If you get arrested, you get the cheap leather armor belt, maybe you should give the player that as well. It's probably worth more than everything else he starts with in a normal game.

Hook

7. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

added the numbers thingy to the file,. so it should be fine.

8. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

Just updated downloads and deleted some. things are now simple again :)

I also added version 7. It replaced version 6

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  9. LarryHookins

Unfortunately, this is going to be incompatible with Hookmod. Do not try to install both at once as they will overwrite each other's files.

If you want to switch between mods, you must completely uninstall the one you currently have installed before installing the other.

For Hookmod, delete the PROGRAM folder and tehomod_hookmod.ini files, then verify your game's files in the Steam client. Right click on Sea Dogs: To Each His Own in your game list, select Properties, click on the Local Files tab, then Verify Integrity of Game Files. This will restore your game to its original state.

For NewStartKit, delete the PROGRAM folder and whatever the current name of the ini file for that mod is, then verify your game files as above.

If you do not verify the files, you will have some files that do not match your game. This is almost certain to break something.

Note that Hookmod was specifically designed so that you could install or remove it at any time without affecting your game. The only problem you might have is if you're in the middle of running the Regatta, and as long as you have a save from before you removed the mod (or installed NewStartKit with Hookmod still installed) you should be able to reinstall Hookmod and continue the race without problems.

Hook

10. LarryHookins

Please note that this mod will not work until we get the new 1.5.2 version of the code. Simply changing the version number will not fix problems with changed code and other files.

Hook

11. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

i changed code a lot, not just a version number.

12. LarryHookins

Without the new 1.5.2 code and other files, it won't matter what you've changed, you'll be changing the wrong version of the files. Sorry.

13. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

just used the new files. no issues are in it. fully tested.

14. begginfokillz

begginfokillz Landlubber

for all to know, the mod cannot be used with any other mod

15. kb31

kb31 Sailor Apprentice Storm Modder

This is not true, but you'd better to avoid modifying seadogs.c file if possible. For example, you can make ProcessCheat analog in the other file and trigger events using tehomod binds instead of ProcessControls.

16. LarryHookins

If two mods change the same files, then having them both installed at the same time is almost certain to break some part of the game.

Hookmod and NewStartMod have several files in common that they both modify. You won't be able to have both installed at the same time. See my post above on how to switch between mods.

Changing init_pc to add or remove key commands is a major problem. It will probably only work right if you start a new game, and even that isn't guaranteed. If two mods use the same key commands and are both installed, there will be problems. For example, both Hookmod and NewStartMod use the C key, and Hookmod uses key bindings.

NewStartMod is not using key bindings. @kb31 you may have to help him with this.

Hook