• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Usual runtime error

Joafu

Landlubber
Ahoy there! I've lurked for some time, but I finally broke down and bought PotC for PC just to play with build 13. I've seen this pop up here several times, and I've tried several solutions, but I'm still having getting started. I just installed (twice now, to make sure), and I get 'engine.exe error' after a brief period of loading right after I select a new game. I had been running build 13, but uninstalled and reinstalled to start fresh from the vanilla version. I have:

-installed twice
-updated my graphics driver (910gl, I know, it's a crap chipset but I'm a month away from getting the rest of my new rig put together; I don't think this is the problem)
-added a crack that modifies 'the xinterface.dll'- didn't work, but now I can install on a second computer to see if it's my chipset; I have my legally purchased version beside me, I only installed the crack because I heard that worked elsewhere on the intertubes
-modified the 'init_pc.c' file- also didn't work [CI_CreateAndSetControls( "WorldMapControls", "WMapSkipEncounter", CI_GetKeyCode("KEY_B"), 0, true )]
-deleted 'sea.dll' out of frustration as it was popping up in the error log- this actually let me load a new game and meet my first mate with tears of joy; I was allowed to explore outside (no ocean or water, jumping off the dock lets me walk on dry land; I walked under my boat)

So my problem is in the vanilla version. Is the original sea.dll file corrupted? Or does anyone have any fresh ideas? I loved this game on the xbox several years back, and am anxious to set sail again.

Comp specs:
Pentium 4 3.00GHz HT
2 GB RAM
Win XP SP2
179 GB free HD space
910gl chipset

I'm in the process of piecing together a new computer now that I'm done with school; I have a feeling I'll run into the same issue I'm having on that rig, so I'm trying to solve now. I will also award five (5) free internets to anyone who can help produce a working solution.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lack of sea.JPG
    lack of sea.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 158
Ahoy Joafu, welcome aboard mate! Your problem is your Graphics chipset, Intel chipsets are notoriously bad for gaming and they really don't like POTC. Your best bet is to try Swiftshader, unfortunately you will take a bit of a performance hit, but it should at least allow you to run the game.

You can download it from HERE!

Ah, thank you for the tip. I'm currently uninstalling/reinstalling so I can have a fresh copy of the game to work with. I'll post results if successful.

Any luck mate? :?

SwiftShader will allow your game to run, but probably not smoothly.
Once you get your new computer with another graphics card, the game should work fine.

I remember at the installation windw there were 2 options, one for a resolve at the intel intergrated chipset problems, and the other for better graphics. However I remember SwiftShader being on the better graphics not on Intel. Am I wrong? Also the thing for better graphics, are there any downsides to it? (also what is meant by saying lowering the performance?)

I accidentally swapped the descriptions of the two options.
Recommendation: Don't install them from the installer; get them seperately from our ModDB profile instead.
That way you're certain to actually get the one you want.

Disadvantage of the ENB rendered: unless you've got a good computer, your framerate might drop notably.
However, it's been working quite smoothly on the new laptop I'm using.

Ticking the advanced graphics however will install them not the intel stuff right? If not I need to reinstall >_>
edit: Whatever I installed, it needs uninstalling... My framerate is horrible. If it's advanced graphics then I was overly optimistic.

Back