• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The value of old versions of Pirates!

Jeff_ATARI

Landlubber
Hi all,

Jeff your friendly neighborhood Atari brand manager here. Some of you suggested that I throw out a topic for discussion, so I can get a glimpse of feedback from a sampling of pirates fans. Here it is:

How much do you care about playing older versions of Pirates! on your PC?

Pros:
- All of us have fond memories of playing one of the original versions of Pirates!, be it on C64, Amiga, Nintendo, Genesis, Apple II, or original IBM PCs. Playing the original brings us back.
- Just like 80's Arcade Hit collections and emulators like MAME, it's quite a trip to go back and experience favorite games.
- Over and over again we receive requests from people asking to have the chance to play the original again.

Cons:
- Have you ever tried playing "Atari 2600 classic hits" or "The Intellivision collection"? I've tried them all. Oftentimes I'll play a given game for about 5 minutes, awash in the memories of the fun times I had in my living room with some of my childhood friends. Then it gets boring and old and I go back to Civ or Neverwinter Nights or some such. It's just not as interesting as you expect it to be.
- Getting old versions of Pirates! to work on today's computers is very difficult, requiring a combination of 3rd party utilities like MoSlo, DOS emulation modes, or funky WinXP tinkerings.
- We'd never be able to update the code -- the source for that stuff is long gone, and the people we know of who programmed it are either at other companies or working on the new version. So there's no way to improve it, issue patches, offer helpful tech support, etc.
- Who wants to play the old version when the new version will have the same core gameplay but be so much better?

Nevertheless, I'm guessing that people are willing to try. So... where would this old version show up?
- It could be an extra included in a Pirates! Limited Edition package.
- It could be a free download for people who sign up for the Pirates! email newsletter.
- It could be a separate install from the regular edition CD.

So... what are your thoughts? I'd love to hear them. Your comments can very much help us on working through the best way to make it available.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

Jeff,

Did you ever play Day of the Tentacle by LucasArts? In the game, if you go to a computer in the mansion, you get to play the entire original Maniac Mansion game.

Now, I'm not saying put the original Pirates inside of the sequel as an Easter Egg, but what I'm saying is since Pirates is such a classic game with a nostalgic charm about it (which is why even today we still play it) it should just be packaged with Pirates 2 on the installation disc.

Regardless of whether the code makers are working at different companies, I think it would be safe to assume that though the source code for the original version or for Pirates! Gold cannot be that complex and if given a little time could be opened up. There is ALWAYS a way.

Jeff,

I agree that it should be made available again. If it did come with the new Pirates!, it would be a great added bonus. I would be more inclined to pick it up and look at it being a 26 year old with fond memories of the game. Would I play it? You bet! I've been searching for an old computer and copy of the game just so I can play it! I remember coming across the game at a friend's house about a year ago, and played for hours.

So I guess, to answer your question, I would like to see the game come in a limited edition set of Pirates! It would be a good combination of the new and the old.

<!--`QuoteBegin-muddymonkey77`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muddymonkey77)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Jeff,

I agree that it should be made available again.  If it did come with the new Pirates!, it would be a great added bonus.  I would be more inclined to pick it up and look at it being a 26 year old with fond memories of the game.  Would I play it?  You bet!  I've been searching for an old computer and copy of the game just so I can play it!  I remember coming across the game at a friend's house about a year ago, and played for hours.

So I guess, to answer your question, I would like to see the game come in a limited edition set of Pirates!  It would be a good combination of the new and the old.[/quote]

I'm new here.... xD:

Hi guys,
My name is Barry Caudill and I am the producer for Sid Meier's Pirates! I didn't know about this forum until Jeff mentioned it in passing in an email. I will try to check in whenever I can (as you can imagine, I am quite busy right now). Here's an interesting question for you. If Atari were to include a playable version of the original game, which one would it be? The original C64 version? The Amiga version? Sega Genesis (a personal fave although I got my start with the C64 version)? Pirates Gold? I would be interested in hearing what everyone's favorite version of Pirates is (of course, that will all change when the new one comes out :D ). Anyway, I'm glad I found this place and I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Sincerely,
Barry

Hi Barry,

I'm William. Keith and I run this here establishment! xD:

Wow, we must be getting popular for us to even get the Firaxis crew around here. It's definitely a pleasure by the way!

Speaking on my own behalf, I think it would be Pirates Gold! just because of the updated graphics and sounds. I think that and the new version would be an awesome package to put together!

Good to have you here Barry.
Thanks Jeff!

:D

I'm very happy to see Atari took time to come out to our lonely port :D

Ahoy, Jeff and Barry, welcome aboard! Pull up a keg and sit, have a couple on us! xD:

It is certainly wonderful that you would consider opinions our little group here in putting together your game. Thanks so much, we all really appreciate the attention! :D

Congratulations to William and Keith are also in order! :mrgreen: You've got to be feeling pretty fat and sassy right about now. And `well-deserved`! :(

I would welcome seeing older versions of P! included with the new game, if they could be made easily playable. There are just some games you just don't want to let go of! I'll vote for the Pirates! Gold version, for pretty much the same reasons as William...

Here is a suggestion - offer the download to whomever would like it - if they register their new game. That way, you know they have your new game, and you don't have to make separate versions of the game (like the limited edition) unless of course you want to do that... I myself don't collect software for the rarities...

Just my "piece of eight"! :|

Cat has an interesting point.

If the person is put into a situation of registering, you know they got there version of the new Pirates! legit, and as a way of getting their contact information for future releases, patches (basic customer service stuff we all appreciate) your 'Thank You' would be the original version of Pirates! that is playable on a `high-end` machine.

Just package a 4x6 or larger piece of glossy paper that let's them know by registering they will receive some super cool, and when they do they get the goods. :D

I like that idea. It works out for both parties.

Yeah, the download using a cd key from the original would be a good idea, for the added bonus type thing, Id like to see either the Pirates! Gold version aswell however its delivered, i think most would agree to that as thats probably the one most have played and only the people getting on now :D would remember playing the C64 version and so on.

Only drama is that if you supply P! gold would you also be supporting it? As if you were to package it in a cd which people would be purchasing along with P!2 you may have problems with people asking the "why wont this run on my comp" type thing

First, I would just like to say thanks to Jeff_ATARI and Firaxis_Barry for stopping by our humble port. xD: It's good to know at least you guys value our opinions enough to ask a few questions. It seems there are fewer and fewer software companies out there these days who acknowledge that fan feedback is more than just the $50 we spend on a game. Are you listening Bethesda?

I like Cat's idea, a free download for registering the new version. It would be a good change of pace after thousands of hours of playing the new version :D

Hmmm. I guess I'd vote for the Sega Version. Even though it's more cartoonish than the PC Gold version, it's more polished, and has more of a "fun" atmosphere that befits games of this age. Course Atari would have to wrap up the game AND a sort of emulator as a single `self-running` exe.
Course, the new game will be so terrific that I doubt any of us will stop playing long enough to revisit the old one. :D

The day of the tentacol idea could work, you could have an old man somewhere who offers to tell you a tale of a pirate and you can go into the orgional pirates, and you could stop him at any point and be like "we can finish this later" to save it.
or something like that, regrettabley i never actually played the origional (i know im a disgrace) but just an idea, it worked great in DOT

If it could be included in Pirates! 2 as a Bonus that's be really kewl. I played the Genesis version but think the Gold one would be best. Playing Devil's Advocate though, if it takes you guys a long time to install the original then I'd consider letting it slide no point spending alot of money on something that'll be a side thing. I'd definetly play it for a while. the only reason I found this forum 3 weeks ago was because I was looking for an old pirates! Read a bunch of posts found out about PoTC and jumped on that instead. Akella owes this forum a finders fee. Anyways pros and cons should be weighed, if it could be done, quick, easy and without compromising the integrity of the original game I say go for it.

I'd vote for Pirates! Gold... I remember it fondly.

But I've never seen the Sega version, that might be the ticket as well!

So, either - or for me.

Here's my two cents: If it's going to be emulated, include both, just go with whatever is easiest. :cheers I know... it's kind of a cop out, but they are not the games I want to play. It's just like civilization or master of orion. I can go back and play the original, but once the new version(if it is actually fun to play) comes out, the old one goes onto a shelf.

I'd personally prefer to make those public domain when the game is released :yes

favorite version? C64 original. I almost failed a grade because of it... :evil:

Welcome Aboard Incognito!

lol .. I think some of us did worse than almost fail a grade ...

Marriages fell apart, jobs lossed, houses mortgaged ... :cheers

I'll toss my hat into the ring and say Pirates Gold! too - for the same reasons - it's sort of updated.

A friend gave me his copy many moons ago when his old 386 died recently (yike!) and I've tried to get it running, but to no avail. Darn `new-fangled` video card doesn't like it, even if I can get it running slow enough :cheers

I'd love to play it, even if due to all of the good comments here.

Well I haven't played the Original :eek: :cheers ...... But I would like to play so I would say put it in the game on the CD(s) or on a different CD. So people would who haven't played it (me) would be able to try that one first then see all the new and grand improvements. :cheers :cheers

Back