• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Thinking of making a pirate style game!

That isn't easy. Do you have a plan or any resources to make use of? :confused:

There are a fair few pirate game projects already being worked on, some of which are MMORPG style too.
It is difficult to make a large game by yourself, so you might want to consider joining some of the existing projects.

For example:
http://www.heartsofoakgame.com/ (Single Player)
http://www.indiedb.com/games/tempest-open-world-exploration (Multi Player Treasure Hunt)
http://www.navalaction.com (Multi Player)
http://www.blackwake.com (Multi Player)

@Captain Murphy: What is the name of your new project again? I know I have it in Skype, but I don't have access to that right now.

Ours is MMO tactical battle more than RPG, but I imagine like any game someone is going to RP in it!
Letters of Marque (and Reprisal)
http://www.indiedb.com/games/letters-of-marque-and-reprisal
http://www.wolfpackgames.co/Projects/LettersofMarque/tabid/599/Default.aspx

There are actually quite a few MMORPG style games coming to the pirate genre lately. There is a cartoonish one that is coming out that was featured at E3 that looks pretty nice.

The latest version of Naval Action that I saw was open world but not first person as of yet. It is getting more RPG like as they get the builds done but I am not positive of their final roadmap. Tempest recently switched to Unreal Engine and has made some good progress. Blackwake is a multiplayer battle type game but focused on working as a team on a single ship in FPS style.

My Idea is to really bring something new to the pirate rpg genre because I feel it is always lacking. One game is based on Naval combat while the other is focused on sword play. I want to be able to bring into one. At first the map will be small because well I can't over burden my self by terrain but later as I get things going i'll be focusing more so on expansion. I need to write a course of action for which I want to start pushing forward. I will be using unity assets and other things to that. I really love the ones you guy have listed and I am already following black wake and hearts of oak. That is actually what brought me here. It'll be a first person game later it could be a third person one but for now i'll be just happy with first person. Already got a melee script working somewhat but direction attacks will be the tough part. Buoyancy is something i'll be working on tonight.

Sounds to me like all the separate developers end up reinventing the wheel over and over again.
I've always hoped for some proper collaboration so that there could be less wasting of time doing the same things over and over.
You're using Unity, which matches wih Hearts of Oak, Naval Action and Blackwake.
Perhaps some of the developers on those game are willing to share some stuff with you if you're willing to share some stuff in return.

Personally I would rather have one or two amazing pirate games, rather than a dozen ones that aren't impressive with half of the projects abandoned because it was just "too much".
Silly is what that is! :whipa

Anyway, a lot of the developers have an account on this forum and I have a conversation with all of them included.
Perhaps you'd be interested in contacting some of those other developers?

Sounds to me like all the separate developers end up reinventing the wheel over and over again.
I've always hoped for some proper collaboration so that there could be less wasting of time doing the same things over and over.
You're using Unity, which matches wih Hearts of Oak, Naval Action and Blackwake.
Perhaps some of the developers on those game are willing to share some stuff with you if you're willing to share some stuff in return.

Personally I would rather have one or two amazing pirate games, rather than a dozen ones that aren't impressive with half of the projects abandoned because it was just "too much".
Silly is what that is! :whipa

Anyway, a lot of the developers have an account on this forum and I have a conversation with all of them included.
Perhaps you'd be interested in contacting some of those other developers?
I agree i'd rather one or two amazing pirate games but those pirate games are very rare for me because of what I grew up playing and what I am into when it comes to a mmorpg.

I've already started the islands and added a day/night cycle. About to implement a small melee system. Working on also weather and some silly ai.

@Captain Murphy: How well do those ideas fit in with your idea for a game?

Otherwise perhaps Tempest is closest to what you've got in mind, but they recently switched to Unreal (they were using CryEngine before) so no Unity.

Even if separate games are being made with the same time setting in the same engine, perhaps that can still be collaboration between the various developers?

Very true, I'm still very new to this so I don't want to be a burden to people though.

Attachments

• firstpicofgame.png
    firstpicofgame.png
    650.9 KB · Views: 190
@Pieter Boelen, I recall seeing another Unity based game here a while back but for the life of me cannot find the thread for it. It was a FPS styled game that I can't recall if it was going to be MMO or not.

Our game is very different than an MMORPG. We aren't doing any FPS at all so there is that as the starting difference. We simply focus on the combat aspect of ships and leave the boarding to algorithms. Everything in ours is tactical handling of a battle situation to manage resources and crew while fighting.

@BlackFootRoberts, I can give quite a few pointers when it comes to the coding for the MMO aspect though. There are a LOT of considerations needed when working on a multiplayer game that are each hurdles in their own right, but trying to handle them on a first time game is going to be rather difficult. I will give my honest recommendation here. Make small games first. FPS style games are already very complicated and the multiplayer portion of that is even more so. Without getting into detail of the back end server architecture needed to support an MMO smoothly, suffice to say you end up writing two entire code bases. One for the server to run headless (without an interactable game) and then another for the client. We also haven't gotten into handling of characters as they change areas and all of the fun that comes with that on the server side. As much as I can appreciate the ambition, I would recommend teaming up with the HoO group and 'cutting your teeth' with some code there first. I can imagine that @JohnSilver can teach you a few things about development that will greatly help in your goal of the MMO. That doesn't mean you should stop developing it, just put it on the back burner for a while and do a few other games before coming back around to it.

I can also recommend some great assets to speed your development along for weather, sky, FPS, etc. But I would still recommend starting small before going big on the project.

So I was looking for models today and stumbled across turbosquid.com and it has sooo many free models from ships to characters! http://www.turbosquid.com/

@Captain Murphy
What are the assets for weather and the other stuff you have listed? I'd love to get a hold of those! My day night cycle is very simple so it's not like I have a night sky or anything.

Last edited:
I ran into some problems yesterday working on the ocean shader and I had some issues with lighting. I started a new terrain and readded some assets. I also will be implementing some new stuff tonight. Doors that open with a interaction key. I will also be creating a logo/name within the next week plus the design idea is going to be single player first then multiplayer later once I learn more. Thank you to @Captain Murphy for the advice! It dawned I was grabbing more then I can hold. hahaha

I ran into some problems yesterday working on the ocean shader and I had some issues with lighting. I started a new terrain and readded some assets. I also will be implementing some new stuff tonight. Doors that open with a interaction key. I will also be creating a logo/name within the next week plus the design idea is going to be single player first then multiplayer later once I learn more. Thank you to @Captain Murphy for the advice! It dawned I was grabbing more then I can hold. hahaha

Attachments

• tmp_31200-FB_IMG_1437682411329-562591116.jpg
    tmp_31200-FB_IMG_1437682411329-562591116.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 160
Back