• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help This compared CoAS?

Båtsman

Landlubber
I have spent a lot of time on AoP2, and before I buy this, is the travel system the same? Silent Hunter (or Sid Meier's Pirates! for that matter) did it right by simulating the whole ocean and the map mode was just you watching tha map as your ship voyaged at fast forward. It still simulated your sub, other ships and hostile fighters. You just saw a marker move along the map, but you could perform all actions that you could in external view. AoP2 annoyed me by having a very random overmap that had no connection with the archipelagoes, just an RNG.
So is it improved upon in Sea Dogs?

IDK the storyline doesn't let you off the island until you've completed the main quest (still trying to figure it out) its like the Peter Blood quest in CoAS. you cant do nothing until you finish the story line, then you're free for world roaming. I've done most of it, trying to raise 8K to hire a crew, but no missions left :(

IDK the storyline doesn't let you off the island until you've completed the main quest (still trying to figure it out) its like the Peter Blood quest in CoAS. you cant do nothing until you finish the story line, then you're free for world roaming. I've done most of it, trying to raise 8K to hire a crew, but no missions left :(

Well, thats a bummer. Is there anyone that has completed it?

While I haven't played this game, I can pretty much guarantee you that the map works exactly the same as the one in CoAS does because they use the same base game engine.

I've got to admit I'm also quite interested to hear from actual players what this new game is like.
Especially the GOOD parts! :woot

Well, thats a bummer. Is there anyone that has completed it?
IDK might get some responses from others...this is what Sam wrote in another post I was asking for help on it.
"After you gave the $ 8.000 to the captain in the tavern you receive the crew automaticly but that isn´t all. You have to talk to the barkeeper again for a navigator, then go to prison and try to free him but that isn´t possible at the moment. Then go to the banker and make a deal with him. Free his spanish friend from the pirates at Le Marin Cove by feet. Then return to the banker and avoid guards on your way back. You have to pass the city gate after 23 PM for that. Then take the Navigator from prison and meet him in your ships cabin. He will tell you what is all necessary for leaving. Ask for jobs, steel or play cards or dice in the tavern if you run out of money in between. Then travel to Le Francais Tavern and talk to the barkeeper there. Then enter and sink the pirates ship. ONLY AFTER ALL THAT you can sail to Guadeloupe and talk to Fadey (formerly Ascolds house from AoP2) before you can talk to your brother in Martinique again. After talking to your brother again, the introduction of the game ends and you are free for everything (depending on your momentary skills of course). If you want to free your brother at first for example, you have to ask Fadey in Guadeloupe for work. But most of that is also always written in your Quest log"

I still cant find a way to raise 5K to hire a crew.

Sure wish someone would make a step by step walkthrough, like they did with AoPCoAS. its really needed, I'm doing this by trial and error.
1. meet the guy @ the docks and he shows you around.
2. go to the church and talk to the priest on the left.
3. follow the guard to the dungeon.
4. explore dungeon and talk to the brother.
5. talk to the town man who asks you to get a whore for him (he gives you 6000)
6. talk to the madam (give her 3000) then @ 11pm pick up the girl and deliver her to a house in town
7. talk to the ship master (need to raise 17K for the ship)
8. talk to the harbor master and then find a guy with a rifle near the back gate.
9. go with him to the cave and defeat the Indians. (substantial rewards for this one)
10. talk to the store owner--> go to the pirate town and talk to the assistant--->go back to the store owner--->go back to pirate town and have a few drinks, talk to the bar owner. 3 guys then show up and you have to choose 1,--->go deliver him to the store owner (you should get enuf $ to then by a boat)
11. go buy the boat
12. go to the tavern and sleep
13. come down the steps and talk to the guy @ the left table, (you're down to bout 3K) he will ask you to hire him and crew which totals to be bout 8K.
(that's as far as I've got through.)

I could start a step by step walkthrough for the introduction of the game tomorrow here if you want me to but today i don´t have more time. It´s already late and i have to be with my family. But tomorrow i can start it here during the morning time.

The game is very similar to CoAS but they changed a lot things so that it is more like the RPGs from the good old times where you have to make everything yourself. For example bullets and powder crafting for pistols and you can create your own potions for healing or use amuletts for beeing stronger or better protected. Even with ships and canons. CoAS is more an action RPG where that kind of things are automaticly at your service and you can grow faster. But the gameplay on land and see is absolutely similar like Pieter said already. They where just changing the way of playing and the quests of course. The graphics and the looking of the people is better than in CoAS for my taste.

Thanks. So it has the same map modes as the previous ones. On a related note, did they fix the sil animations yet? It completely broke my immersion of sailing when the sails were sheeted for a close haul, but I had the speed and wind direction of running before the wind.

Sure wish someone would make a step by step walkthrough, like they did with AoPCoAS. its really needed, I'm doing this by trial and error.
1. meet the guy @ the docks and he shows you around.
2. go to the church and talk to the priest on the left.
3. follow the guard to the dungeon.
4. explore dungeon and talk to the brother.
5. talk to the town man who asks you to get a whore for him (he gives you 6000)
6. talk to the madam (give her 3000) then @ 11pm pick up the girl and deliver her to a house in town
7. talk to the ship master (need to raise 17K for the ship)
8. talk to the harbor master and then find a guy with a rifle near the back gate.
9. go with him to the cave and defeat the Indians. (substantial rewards for this one)
10. talk to the store owner--> go to the pirate town and talk to the assistant--->go back to the store owner--->go back to pirate town and have a few drinks, talk to the bar owner. 3 guys then show up and you have to choose 1,--->go deliver him to the store owner (you should get enuf $ to then by a boat)
11. go buy the boat
12. go to the tavern and sleep
13. come down the steps and talk to the guy @ the left table, (you're down to bout 3K) he will ask you to hire him and crew which totals to be bout 8K.
(that's as far as I've got through.)
Read what i posted in this tread (specificly about fort it will help you to double your money): Need Help - Swordblocking doesn´t work | PiratesAhoy!

While I haven't played this game, I can pretty much guarantee you that the map works exactly the same as the one in CoAS does because they use the same base game engine.

I've got to admit I'm also quite interested to hear from actual players what this new game is like.
Especially the GOOD parts! :woot
Thank you very much. Good job and well done!! :thumbs1

Back