• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Three new locations in Colombia (including Gambling House)

Levis

Find(Rum) = false;
Staff member
Administrator
Creative Support
Programmer
Storm Modder
This adds two new locations in colombia which will later be used for a sidequest. Both locations have a character in them. One has special dialog (which does nothing at the moment) and the other just has generic dialog. Adding these now already might prevent the use of a new game ones I finish the sidequest, and hey it adds more places in that big city, so less doors with nothing behind them is better right :p ?

You can download included zip and extract it to your POTC main folder (it's only tested with the may 19th release from this post) .
A new game is required for this to work. Maybe a ReInit would work but probably not.

If you use this mod with one of my other released mods please check if files overlap and if so use a program like winmerge to make sure everything is included

NEW VERSION IN THIS POST

Last edited:
Possibly make Alejandro de Mendoza use "Enc_resident_dialog.c" rather than "Cartagena citizen_dialog.c"? That would make him behave more like a normal resident rather than someone wandering the streets. You can easily switch him to a different dialog file during the sidequest, then put him back to "Enc_resident_dialog.c" (or "Cartagena citizen_dialog.c") when he has done his part for the quest.

File "RESOURCE\mansioninside.tga.tx" and folder "RESOURCE\Loading" should go into the "Textures" folder. File "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\inside\office\Mansion_Inside.tga.tx" seems to be a duplicate of "RESOURCE\Loading\English\Mansion_Inside.tga.tx".

Cartagena is a big city so it's certainly good for some places to be used (especially if Alejandro de Mendoza can provide all the services of a normal resident), and there's still plenty of space left if anyone else wants to add new locations. :onya

Possibly make Alejandro de Mendoza use "Enc_resident_dialog.c" rather than "Cartagena citizen_dialog.c"? That would make him behave more like a normal resident rather than someone wandering the streets. You can easily switch him to a different dialog file during the sidequest, then put him back to "Enc_resident_dialog.c" (or "Cartagena citizen_dialog.c") when he has done his part for the quest.

File "RESOURCE\mansioninside.tga.tx" and folder "RESOURCE\Loading" should go into the "Textures" folder. File "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\inside\office\Mansion_Inside.tga.tx" seems to be a duplicate of "RESOURCE\Loading\English\Mansion_Inside.tga.tx".

Cartagena is a big city so it's certainly good for some places to be used (especially if Alejandro de Mendoza can provide all the services of a normal resident), and there's still plenty of space left if anyone else wants to add new locations. :onya
I must have been a bit sleepy when I made it. you want a new archive or is it okay this way?
I'm toally fine with giving him the enc resident dialog, so if you want to change that go ahead :) .

I believe the mansion_inside.tga.tx should be a bit different from the one in the english folder, but it's only for 1 or 2 textures in there.

There is "mansioninside.tga.tx" which is the texture for the mansion interior. And there ia "Mansion_Inside.tga.tx" which is completely different as it's the loading screen. The copy in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\inside\office" is a duplicate of the loading screen - a WinMerge comparison of the two files says they're identical. In any case, texture files in "RESOURCE\MODELS" aren't going to be used because the game doesn't look for textures there. ;)

I've already put the texture files into the "RESOURCE\Textures" folder, and also renamed "Chima.c/h" to "Chima_dialog.c/h".

Looking at the locations file in more detail, it seems these new locations aren't in the town centre. "House Grandma" is in the small area similar to part of St. Pierre in Martinique, from where a gate leads to the residence; and "Cartagena Mansion Town" is in the area of town next to the port. Perhaps I can relocate "Cartagena Mansion Town" to one of the houses in the town centre? That big town centre is the area which could do with some new active places.

Ah I think I then copied something wrong indeed. So yeah leave the loading screen out of there.

Not sure about moving it to the town square big building. I would prefer it to stay at this location. mostly because I always found this one a thorn in my eye too.
I'll promise soon I will add some more stuff to the town square again :) .

Another reason why I'd prefer to move it out of the building which looks like Port Royale town hall is that I have my own ideas for that place. British merchants can buy their licence from the East India Company in Port Royale. Dutch merchants can get theirs from the Dutch West India Company in Willemstad. Spanish merchants currently have nowhere to buy a licence, and that big building in the location near the port is the perfect home for the local office of the Casa de Contratación.

@Grey Roger can I persuade you to maybe use this building for it (it's next to the church close to the wall in the main square)?
building.png

Else I wouldn't be opposed to actually using that building for it. The character I need has to have some authority to have a cleaning lady. That could very well be the trade office. So feel free to use this model and character for that if you want. You probably do need to change the loading screen, but just changing the text should be enough.

Do you mean that you want that building to be your character's home? I should certainly be able to put a locator by that building if I can find it. (If you can zip up a savegame with you standing outside it, that would make finding it easier.)

Do you mean that you want that building to be your character's home? I should certainly be able to put a locator by that building if I can find it. (If you can zip up a savegame with you standing outside it, that would make finding it easier.)
No I mean you can use that building for the office.
If I'm going to move this location to the city quare I would also need to change the background etc (the things you see trough the windows).

I've found the building in your picture. Once I've finished with the Spanish trade office, I'll see about putting some locators near that building.

But in any case, I can't include your mansion because I don't have "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\inside\Office\office2.gm". Can you upload it?

I've found the building in your picture. Once I've finished with the Spanish trade office, I'll see about putting some locators near that building.

But in any case, I can't include your mansion because I don't have "RESOURCE\MODELS\Locations\inside\Office\office2.gm". Can you upload it?
I must have really messed up the making of that zip :p .

Btw I'm also adding some locators to the town so if you are at the point where you want to add them let me know then I can send you my file so you can add them there.

Attachments

• office2.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 138
Yes, please send the updated locators. @Jack Rackham is also fixing the locator for the loanshark, and I need to add the entry locator for your building. Then I can use TOOL to convert the various versions of the locator file to plain text, merge the whole lot, and create one unified locator file with everyone's work in it.

here are my new locators, and I also moved the loanshark a bit, but I think it's just slightly not enough.

Attachments

• cartTown_l.zip
    4 KB · Views: 125
Here's my fix for the loanshark reload7. It's the only locator that I have changed but in three files.
I found two other situations which were better solved by making the reload locators a little larger.
Comes with my next upload as I am working on that file (Colombia.c) with other things.

I noticed at least three other things with the "Cartagena_center" which I am going to fix but not today.

Attachments

• Cartagena locator fix.7z
    4.4 KB · Views: 173
Thanks, @Levis and @Jack Rackham! :cheers

Attached is a version of the locator file which includes @Levis' new "reload13" plus officer reloads, @Jack Rackham's fixed "reload7", and my new "reload14" plus officer reloads for the new mansion:
reload14.jpg

The mansion is very bright:
mansion.jpg

That's because "office2" has no lighting files. TOOL can be used to create basic lighting files, but for best results, edit "RESOURCE\INI\loclighter.ini", find this bit...
Code:
;Loading Location lighter
loading = 0
... and change the 0 to 1. Then go into the room, press numeric keypad 0 to open the lighting tool, play around with the sliders, and save the result when you're happy with the lighting. Put this into "console.c":
Code:
        Locations[FindLocation("Cartagena Mansion Town")].reload.l13.close_for_night = 0;
//    SetCurrentTime(00.00, 0); // NIGHT1.COL
//    SetCurrentTime(06.00, 0); // EVENING3.COL
//    SetCurrentTime(12.00, 0); // DAY1.COL
//    SetCurrentTime(20.00, 0); // MORNING1.COL
        DoQuestReloadToLocation("Cartagena Mansion Town", "reload", "reload1" ,"_");
Uncomment the relevant time line, press F12 to teleport to the mansion, set up the lighting, then repeat the process for all four times. No, that's not a typo - "MORNING1" and "EVENING3" are indeed confused!

When you've finished, remember to put "loclighter.ini" back to normal. (And you'll probably want to redo the loading image once the lighting is right.)

Attachments

• cartTown_l.zip
    4 KB · Views: 121
I'll take a look at this soon(ish).
I'm also adding another location now at the reload13 so will do that at the same time.
Somewhere end of the week I hope to have it ready :).

btw I also made a background model voor the town which can be used for the loandshark and the new location I'm adding.
I will see if I can also make one for the hotel (if it need it).
I needed I could look into make it for some of the other places in the town too, after some figuring out I think I have the routine down now. The images dont stick together that well yet because of the many geometries in the town, but when looking trough the windows and not looking very closely I'd say you dont notice :) .

Yes, I noticed that "reload13" leads to a staircase round the side of the loanshark's office and guessed you might have plans there.

Incidentally, there are "reload11" and "reload13" but no "reload12". Originally I named the new locator for the mansion "reload12", then when it was positioned correctly, I walked onto it to make sure I could walk onto it - I've been caught out like that before, positioned a locator too close to a door, then couldn't move from it because the walk points didn't reach there! And then the door indicated that it led to the hotel. This is why:
Code:
   Locations[n].reload.l12.name = "reload12";
   Locations[n].reload.l12.go = "Cartagena Hotel";
   Locations[n].reload.l12.emerge = "reload8";
   Locations[n].reload.l12.autoreload = "0";
   Locations[n].reload.l12.label = "Cartagena Hotel.";
   Locations[n].locators_radius.reload.reload12 = 0.5;
So I renamed the mansion locator "reload14".

Meanwhile, the Casa de Contratación is operational but not finished. At present it uses the default residence interior and loading screen. I'm working on a major retexturing of the residence interior which is currently used for Santiago, after which I'll make a loading image and probably also arrange a fast travel.

The mansion and tailor will probably need a different background image from the loanshark, though the hotel is close enough that it can probably use the loanshark one. (At the moment the mansion uses the same background image as the tailor, probably taken from San Juan judging by its name.)

Incidentally, there are "reload11" and "reload13" but no "reload12". Originally I named the new locator for the mansion "reload12", then when it was positioned correctly, I walked onto it to make sure I could walk onto it - I've been caught out like that before, positioned a locator too close to a door, then couldn't move from it because the walk points didn't reach there! And then the door indicated that it led to the hotel.
So I renamed the mansion locator "reload14".
I noticed that one as well and don't know what it exactly was used for. It's possible to add locators by code so I tought that might be whats happening somewhere. That's why I numbered it 13.
Meanwhile, the Casa de Contratación is operational but not finished. At present it uses the default residence interior and loading screen. I'm working on a major retexturing of the residence interior which is currently used for Santiago, after which I'll make a loading image and probably also arrange a fast travel.
If you make it I can always later add the background model to it. I'm also in the work of retexturing now for the new location I'm adding.
The mansion and tailor will probably need a different background image from the loanshark, though the hotel is close enough that it can probably use the loanshark one. (At the moment the mansion uses the same background image as the tailor, probably taken from San Juan judging by its name.)
The mansion is in the other area right? I believe it uses the right background. But things like the shipyard might need some. I could look into it later, but it does take time so I would probably do this over a longer period.
Because of how the town is build up it's hard to really reuse the same background at many locations.

The Casa de Contratación is in the building which looks like Port Royale town hall, in that part of Cartagena which looks like Port Royale, so it can just use the standard Port Royale background model. The mansion is in the building by the church.

I'd reckon that Cartagena town centre needs at most three backgrounds. One for the area near the gate (shipyard, loanshark, and whatever you have planned for "reload13"). One for the area near the church (tailor and your mansion). And possibly one for the area with the store, blacksmith and second tavern, though they might get away with the shipyard/loanshark background. Bear in mind that unless you go right next to a window with the specific intent of seeing whether the view matches what you see when you leave the building, you don't see much through the window anyway.

And then there are other locations which could do with new backgrounds - Havana, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Turks Island... :p

Back