• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Tides of War (1999)

Alan Miller

Landlubber
Hello all (or maybe 'Ahoy ya scurvy dogs!' would be better?)*

*first post, cut me some slack...

I need a spot of help.
After a long time looking I have managed to download a copy of Devil's Thumb 1999 pc game 'Tides of War', a game I played back in the day and enjoyed it despite it's shortcomings - I sure some of you will know of it.
The game opens fine and seems to respond (the ship rotates in the direction of mouse clicks) but, even with full sail, I cannot get the ship to move...
I'm presuming (hoping) it's not a game fault, but a 'raise the anchor, you idiot!' thing but there's no obvious means of doing so on screen so I'm [further] presuming anchor raising is a keyboard command?
Is this right? And if so does anyone have a copy of the manual, or the necessary instructions I need..?
TIA

He has taken/is taking part in the making of a game named Tides of War: Letters of Marque so i believe he knows about the 1999 game you are referring.

Sorry, that is a completely different game than ours, I have no idea about any of the controls or gameplay.

If it is somehow still actual, the algorithm of sailing in ToW is following: left-click anywhere at sea to turn the ship's bow to that direction, then left-click on the mast icon at the bottom of the screen to send some men to the masts (left-click-and-drag-up to fill it to the full manpower capacity), then left-click-and-drag on the mast picture at the left side of the screen to set sails (you can do it via keys: Home for full sails, End for no sails, PgUp and PgDn for gradual increasing-decreasing of sail surface).

Fell free to ask me anything about this charming old game.

If it is somehow still actual, the algorithm of sailing in ToW is following: left-click anywhere at sea to turn the ship's bow to that direction, then left-click on the mast icon at the bottom of the screen to send some men to the masts (left-click-and-drag-up to fill it to the full manpower capacity), then left-click-and-drag on the mast picture at the left side of the screen to set sails (you can do it via keys: Home for full sails, End for no sails, PgUp and PgDn for gradual increasing-decreasing of sail surface).

Fell free to ask me anything about this charming old game.
Can you still obtain the game?

Back