• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide Tips & Tricks for Playing the Game

Yes, taking crew ashore leads to more attacks. Last time I tried it as an experiment, the attacks caused by the extra crew were more dangerous than normal random attacks - at least, I died more quickly as a result of those attacks than in encounters with normal thugs or highwaymen. So my experience is that extra crew are more trouble than they're worth and I never take them.

I was farming the dungeon in Port Royale. That fighting is way easier than boarding ye, great tip! Also I tried the grenades I found there while boarding instead of the pistol. Blew my enemies mind :bounce:woot must say, having no cooldown on those things is a bit silly

Understood. But how about a ''reload'' of 2 seconds for the action of grabbing one? As I imagine they would be in a bag of some sort.
I also have a question regarding the weapons locker on your ship(s). How many swords etc do you need to put in there? Is there like a max based on the number of crew on the ship? Or the number of combatants during the boarding?

Last edited:
Understood. But how about a ''reload'' of 2 seconds for the action of grabbing one? As I imagine they would be in a bag of some sort.
Search for "grenade" in PROGRAM\ITEMS\initItems.c; you can probably find the line there to change the reload time.

Any general tips on starting off? It's been a long time since I played PotC well. (had a good save on my original xbox). New Horizons changes a few things around. I'm playing the free play type character thing.

Any general tips on starting off? It's been a long time since I played PotC well. (had a good save on my original xbox). New Horizons changes a few things around. I'm playing the free play type character thing.
:ahoyand welcome to the community @Silverskull! :beer:
You are going to enjoy it. Well, I'd say for starters:
  1. Get more money -
  • go to random houses and steal stuff. Mind the different prices when selling your junk. Street vendors sometimes offer more than the store.
  • Talk to random people and do realistic favours for them when they offer you one.
  • Talk to the Mayor or Governor for jobs.
  • Go to the tavern and interact with people especially the owner and basically every major shop owners for quests. Go talk to the priests in the churches.
  • When you're a little bit confident with your skills. Try exploring the jungle and do a couple kills from the thugs out there, rob them and sell it. The mayor/governor I think sometimes offer these jobs too so that's more money.
  • You can also try to get ship goods from the store, as much as you can hold on your current ship, and sell it to another town for a better price.
Remember to visit the store and check the prices whenever you get to a new town so later in the game you can compare prices and know the best places to get something cheap and where to sell it for more.
  • When you get enough money, you should prioritize on getting a better ship so you can broaden the variety of quests you can accept. Obviously, if your hold is too small you can't really do goods transportation quests.
I think this is good enough knowledge for a start. You'll figure out the rest as you explore the Caribbean. Now go and have fun! :guns:

There are also a few dungeons to explore. Easiest are those in towns as you don't need to go through jungles to find them. The inhabitants of dungeons tend to be less tough than thugs and highwaymen in the jungle, so dungeons are good places to practice your fencing. There's also a nice sword hidden somewhere in each dungeon.

There's one in Speightstown (near the shipyard, or jump off the pier and swim round the corner). Another is in Port Royale (in the part of town with the church, near the gate leading to the town centre with the governor's house). And Kralendijk has one (near the store and tavern). The Port Royale one is particularly good because of the sword to be found there. If you are willing to take your chances in the jungle, there's another dungeon in a cave on Barbados, somewhere between Speightstown and Bridgetown. This also has a nice sword.

Look for sidequests. Visit Martinique, it probably has more sidequests than any other single location and several of them are short enough to be completed without having to leave the island.

Would anyone happen to know a way to increase the UI scale in the game without having to change the resolution? I'm running the game at 1080p but the interface is too small for me to see easily (I've got bad eyes lol). It's a lot easier to see at 720p or smaller but then A) I lose resolution detail and B) I have to run it in fullscreen mode so I can't Alt+Tab anymore.
Thanks for any advice!

Back