• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

To Keep or Not To Keep

marrbodude

Sailor Apprentice
I read somewhere in forum.

You can capture a town for your nation you are playing for.
Does the town get taken over by the nation right away or
do you get a choice to keep it.

If you choose to keep it can you finish the nation quest.
Does the nation put you on their Wanted List and fire on you the next time you sail into port.

The governor-generals walkthroughs here on the forums will usually state whether you can keep the colony for yourself or if you have to give it to the nation to complete the mission. I have breezed through the walkthroughs, and I think that most of the towns you take as part of a mission have to be taken over by your nation to complete the mission. The one exception I remember is The Spanish governor-general missions, where you can take over La Vega for yourself, in an early mission, after you raid it in the name of Spain.

I have learned the hard way that there are a few things to consider if you want to capture colonies for yourself. First it helps choose the Corsair profession for your character so that you have the land assault perk, a hidden ability, which allows you to raid port towns from the jungle, and capture jungle settlements without a fort. Second, is that you need to complete the governor-generals missions in order to capture settlements for yourself. Third, in order to capture settlements with forts, you must destroy the forts cannons and then defeat the garrison.

I still am not sure whether you can capture settlements where a nations governor-general is located. It would also help to know what caliber of guns are best at destroying forts cannons. I assume larger is better, but the reload is longer, so I dont know if 100 24lb shots are better then 300-400 12lb shots.

I still am not sure whether you can capture settlements where a nations governor-general is located. It would also help to know what caliber of guns are best at destroying forts cannons. I assume larger is better, but the reload is longer, so I dont know if 100 24lb shots are better then 300-400 12lb shots.

I think you can loot them but cannot capture permanently. Also AFAIK you can loot but not capture Port Orange too.

I am going to try taking Port Orange in my current game. May take a while though as I am playing a Dutch Corsair and only just started the profile.

Out of all the nations I would say that the Dutch governor-general missions are the easiest because you only have to attack one settlement.

I wish that I knew how bad the onslaught against the player was once I start taking colonies for myself. My goal after completing the missions was to pay off all bounties on my head and focus on taking out Spain first. I dont know if other countries will go after my captured Spanish colonies if I have bad relations with them. If so I may have to adapt a different strategy.

Back