• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Too many hostiles in ports

Brian Janowich

Landlubber
First off I am running build 14 beta 2.1 with 2.2 lite. Is there anyway to stop, cut down, or just plain delete all the hostile ships in every port when I am sailing into or out of the ports? Sea battles are nice but it gets old after a while when every time I sail into or out of a port there are 5 to 8 ships to fight off first before I can anchor and get things done! Realistically you would have to get lucky once in a while and not have a ton of hostiles in every port at every island. This makes the gameplay a lot less desired and I just may have to can the mod because of it. Any help would on this matter would be appreciated. You can email me at brjanowich@mail2world.com with help in this matter. Great mod though anyway.

:ahoy mate!

First, it is probably not a good idea to post your email address.

5 to 8 hostiles? That sounds like Barbados. I have been chased by up to 11 ships there. :ship
Every island has 6 ships around it and anything from 0-6 could be pirates. Then there are random fleets that might happen to not like you that are just passing by. Barbados also has the French blockade squadron as an added attraction. So it is easy to get the feeling that one has to run a gauntlet in and out of a port.
This is especially bad early in the game when you are at the bottom of the food chain. The fort is your friend! Run for its umbrella of covering fire. Later as one's skills and ship improve things will get better. There will be less hostiles and they will sometimes choose to sail away.

There is also the option to adjust things in the Internalsettings.h file. This is located in POTC--->program. Scroll down until you find it.

:ahoy mate!

First, it is probably not a good idea to post your email address.

5 to 8 hostiles? That sounds like Barbados. I have been chased by up to 11 ships there. :ship
Every island has 6 ships around it and anything from 0-6 could be pirates. Then there are random fleets that might happen to not like you that are just passing by. Barbados also has the French blockade squadron as an added attraction. So it is easy to get the feeling that one has to run a gauntlet in and out of a port.
This is especially bad early in the game when you are at the bottom of the food chain. The fort is your friend! Run for its umbrella of covering fire. Later as one's skills and ship improve things will get better. There will be less hostiles and they will sometimes choose to sail away.

There is also the option to adjust things in the Internalsettings.h file. This is located in POTC--->program. Scroll down until you find it.
I do have my email address in the posting and thank you for the help. I am just sick of tired of a bunch of hostiles in every port no matter if I am coming or going! It makes me want to change the name of the game to ship battles instead of what it is. I will look into the file you suggested. An example is when you go to the pirate island that does not have a fort, no matter when I go there are about 10 hostiles! nothing I can do except die. Too many to fight and can't out run them. Sailed all the way around the island once and lost them on the far side, when I got back to the dock 10 more appeared from nowhere? Are they like the pirates from the movie tracking me down because of something I have or did the builders just want to make it aggrevating?

Are you talking about Nevis? You do not have to land at that dock. You can land at Charlestown or on the other side of the island and go cross country to that pirate settlement. Of course land battle is extremely difficult until after one gets to level 16 too. :duel: Save very often!

I do have my email address in the posting
Hylie actually said it's not a good idea to post your e-mail address, for your own security, really. You never know what might be scouring pages like this for addresses to send spam to.
Besides, we don't tend to use e-mails to contact individuals anyway; Personal Conversations are better for that purpose.

I thought that's what we had this thread for? I always prefer discussing ANYTHING that is not specific to only certain people on the forum itself.
More people can see, more people can help. :shrug

Anyway, you can go through the Options>Advanced Options menu and have a look at the Coast Raider settings.
You should be able to tweak some things to have less ships around.

Anyway, you can go through the Options>Advanced Options menu and have a look at the Coast Raider settings.
You should be able to tweak some things to have less ships around.

I think the Coast Raiders settings ( where you can specify the number of ships that are generated arround an island ) in the advanced options has been removed in Beta 2. :razz

Are they like the pirates from the movie tracking me down because of something I have or did the builders just want to make it aggrevating?

Have you taken any loans from loansharks - and not repaid them on time. - They can send people after you.

You could look at the the F2 Relations screen and try flying a flag that makes your relations Friendly/Neutral with as many people as possible. Remember to change flags at sea ( before you get the Land Ho for arriving at the island ) and before you set sail from an island.

:cheers

I think the Coast Raiders settings ( where you can specify the number of ships that are generated arround an island ) in the advanced options has been removed in Beta 2. :razz
That one has been. By me. As part of the Cleanup project. But there are some other settings left that may help?

Back