• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Too often recognized as traitor on shore

Jason

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Playing August 11 version in BBF I have noticed a couple of things in game play.

1. The corpses seem to have a lot of money, more than in the past. If you cut that in half that would probably be about right.

2. There seem to be a lot of Alarms when walking around talking to citizens. Since you lose 3 reputation points every time that happens it makes reputation even more difficult when it happens so frequently. Is there somewhere you can point me that explains how that works. Also the same request for the relations flag recognition parameters.

1. The corpses seem to have a lot of money, more than in the past. If you cut that in half that would probably be about right.
@Levis, that is this section of code in Leveling.c, isn't it?
Code:
  if (!CheckAttribute(chref,"Money")) {
  chref.Money = GetRandCharMoney(chref, makeint(Rand(15)+10));
  } else {
  if (sti(chref.Money) == 0) chref.Money = GetRandCharMoney(chref, makeint(Rand(15)+10));
  }
How would you propose changing that?

2. There seem to be a lot of Alarms when walking around talking to citizens. Since you lose 3 reputation points every time that happens it makes reputation even more difficult when it happens so frequently. Is there somewhere you can point me that explains how that works.
With the Brave Black Flag start, your served nation is PIRATE. That marks you as a traitor and you might be recognized for that in towns.
If you aren't part of the Pirate Brotherhood and get a LoM from one of the other nations, you can undo your traitor status.

We knew something like this would happen; now we need to know how to best deal with it.
Some thoughts:
- Don't start Rebels (=traitors) with served nation PIRATE but instead set them to PERSONAL_NATION
- Possibly link this to Difficulty or Realism mode instead
- Keep the possibility to be detected, but reduce the chance (possibly factoring in the false flag detection chance used elsewhere too)

I'd definitely welcome thoughts and suggestions on this one.

Also the same request for the relations flag recognition parameters.
False flag recognition chance is still 100% for testing purposes. If I get enough feedback and we can confirm everything else behaves itself there at last,
we can see about balancing it to be dynamic throughout the game next week.

The money people have is probably linked to theire level, and most are a bit higher now. So check GetRandCharMoney and add a divider or something. There probably is a global variable in there already to manage it. @Pieter Boelen

@Levis, that is this section of code in Leveling.c, isn't it?
Code:
  if (!CheckAttribute(chref,"Money")) {
  chref.Money = GetRandCharMoney(chref, makeint(Rand(15)+10));
  } else {
  if (sti(chref.Money) == 0) chref.Money = GetRandCharMoney(chref, makeint(Rand(15)+10));
  }
How would you propose changing that?

With the Brave Black Flag start, your served nation is PIRATE. That marks you as a traitor and you might be recognized for that in towns.
If you aren't part of the Pirate Brotherhood and get a LoM from one of the other nations, you can undo your traitor status.

We knew something like this would happen; now we need to know how to best deal with it.
Some thoughts:
- Don't start Rebels (=traitors) with served nation PIRATE but instead set them to PERSONAL_NATION
- Possibly link this to Difficulty or Realism mode instead
- Keep the possibility to be detected, but reduce the chance (possibly factoring in the false flag detection chance used elsewhere too)

I'd definitely welcome thoughts and suggestions on this one.

False flag recognition chance is still 100% for testing purposes. If I get enough feedback and we can confirm everything else behaves itself there at last,
we can see about balancing it to be dynamic throughout the game next week.

Here are some thoughts on the traitor recognition thing. First the reality (I suppose) If you rebel against an English if you rebel against an English captain that is lead a mutiny and take his ship that is not likely to be known by anyone immediately but eventually the Royal Navy would find out in the local area (Caribbean) and you would then be a traitor/rebel/outlaw to the English and, somewhat later perhaps, to any allied power but in this time period that is probably not likely. The response of England's enemies probably to varied b/s "so what" and "oh goodie". The other nations have no reason to be hostile to you until you do something against them. You have no reason to rush off and join the pirates immediately. So working off that logic I think I would set the nation to personal and the traitor alarm to work only in English ports unless you join the pirates.

I know you have relations set to English hostile and every one else neutral in the Arcade game and that makes sense to me. I don't play the realistic game so I really have no stake in what they want to do.

The money people have is probably linked to theire level, and most are a bit higher now. So check GetRandCharMoney and add a divider or something. There probably is a global variable in there already to manage it. @Pieter Boelen

Ok then, I am fine if we leave it alone. I think it is working fine, and I am conservative when it comes messing with things that are working.

Here are some thoughts on the traitor recognition thing. First the reality (I suppose) If you rebel against an English if you rebel against an English captain that is lead a mutiny and take his ship that is not likely to be known by anyone immediately but eventually the Royal Navy would find out in the local area (Caribbean) and you would then be a traitor/rebel/outlaw to the English and, somewhat later perhaps, to any allied power but in this time period that is probably not likely. The response of England's enemies probably to varied b/s "so what" and "oh goodie". The other nations have no reason to be hostile to you until you do something against them. You have no reason to rush off and join the pirates immediately. So working off that logic I think I would set the nation to personal and the traitor alarm to work only in English ports unless you join the pirates.
I want something simple.... I also want to be done with it soon. :facepalm

So for simplicity's sake, how about we set the served nation of a Rebel to PERSONAL_NATION and call it a day?
No traitor behaviour unless you actually decide to join the pirates.

I want something simple.... I also want to be done with it soon. :facepalm

So for simplicity's sake, how about we set the served nation of a Rebel to PERSONAL_NATION and call it a day?
No traitor behaviour unless you actually decide to join the pirates.

I think that would be excellent and accomlplish what I suggested.

I,for one, appreciate all the time, skill and effort you have put and continue to put into the game over these many years.

:cheers

Rebels no longer start with Served Nation PIRATE, so this should be Fixed until I hear otherwise.

Back