• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Trade Overhaul Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to Luke159, I have fixed the fedex style missions, in regards to prompting what goods are being transported, and in the same way have fixed the the loot issues. I have also fixed the consumption rates, so that they favor sea travel. IE: When buying 30 days of food at the store, you will have 31 days of food at sea....

Outstanding! A very good mod made excellent! :onya

Congrats FB. :onya

The trade system was something that was far too easy to make money from in small ships and exploit with ships with huge cargoholds. I'm happy to see you have managed to fix the problems and get this area of the game fixed and to a more realistic experiencve of trading. :will :bow

Congrats FB. :onya

The trade system was something that was far too easy to make money from in small ships and exploit with ships with huge cargoholds. I'm happy to see you have managed to fix the problems and get this area of the game fixed and to a more realistic experiencve of trading. :will :bow
thx bud. It was a pleasure finding out what these colonies traded at the time, and learned quite about the 1600's and 1700's in the process. This mod was great to make, and I had a lot of fun doing it.

Your rebalancing really helped. Since testing started on the Ship Upgrade Mod, I have only managed to bank about 2 mil, and thats after 22 hours of game play. Even with the advantage of that the new upgrades provide, it is much much harder to get huge bank accounts rollin like it was before.

I can only hope that the next mod that I help make will be as fun as this one was

No problem bud but i just noticed these two lines of code in Goods.H

As you can see i have enclosed the two problems with a red box, the first should not be 25 it should be 15, the second should not be 24ooo it should be 24.

I managed to grab half an hour and tested your upgrade mod out, the rich and Rockin version, the costs of upgrades now make sense and because cargoholds are smaller it makes you question what is more benifical a upgrade or a new ship. I have 2 Galleons and the most i have made from them is 42,000, i can't wait to upgrade them. It makes you want to go pirate to gather the money quicker which makes it feel more realistic because you never had to do that before, you could easily make the money after a few merchant trips with 1 Galleon let alone 2 of them. Also upgrading the cargohold is more important now because most ships can't mount there max calibure with all supplies and enough room to make some money via trading. You have to decide which is more important trading or better calibure of guns mounted. I had a look via a cheat game for testing to see how much the cargohold was upgraded for a Galleon and a Sloop, i was pleased to see how much the increases was. Well done bud. However i think the crew upgrade is a little too high, from a Galleon that could carry at max 357 crew i filled it to over 700. :shock giving you an extra 100 to 150 crew i think is better. With 700+ crew i would be able to board anyone and never fire a single shot.

No problem bud but i just noticed these two lines of code in Goods.H

As you can see i have enclosed the two problems with a red box, the first should not be 25 it should be 15, the second should not be 24ooo it should be 24.

As for the 25 to 15 i thought i had fixed that, and will be releasing a fix...the 24ooo doesnt shop in my files...which is very strange.
I managed to grab half an hour and tested your upgrade mod out, the rich and Rockin version, the costs of upgrades now make sense and because cargoholds are smaller it makes you question what is more benifical a upgrade or a new ship. I have 2 Galleons and the most i have made from them is 42,000, i can't wait to upgrade them. It makes you want to go pirate to gather the money quicker which makes it feel more realistic because you never had to do that before, you could easily make the money after a few merchant trips with 1 Galleon let alone 2 of them. Also upgrading the cargohold is more important now because most ships can't mount there max calibure with all supplies and enough room to make some money via trading. You have to decide which is more important trading or better calibure of guns mounted. I had a look via a cheat game for testing to see how much the cargohold was upgraded for a Galleon and a Sloop, i was pleased to see how much the increases was. Well done bud. However i think the crew upgrade is a little too high, from a Galleon that could carry at max 357 crew i filled it to over 700. :shock giving you an extra 100 to 150 crew i think is better. With 700+ crew i would be able to board anyone and never fire a single shot.

Thx dude. I know the crew upgrade is a bit high, but the idea was to be able to double up the number of hammocks. You notice that the crew is still cramped, and will cause the moral to drop all the same. I was thinking about adjusting it so that not only is much more expensive, and not doubling up the crew, but a bit less maybe adding 50% to the max crew.
(hehe, I had fun changing the dialog too, with the shipbuilder saying how they would be cramped in like sardines...lol)

The Updated 1.4 version is here

Attachments

• Trade Overhaul Mod v1.4.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
Found an additional problem, and a concern:

1st the problem, just noticed that slaves weigh 30 each, te heaviest item in the game. I had a ship surrender, to 90 of them as slaves, used up 2700 cargo space in my hold. Put me way over the limit. Perhaps this is intentional, or is it a mistake?

And the concern: Food seems very scarce. My current ship is Enterprise class, I'm running max crew of 250. Seems that all I get done doing is bouncing around looking for food. Port - au - Prince used to be my hangout (before this mod) as food was always plentiful there, now I exhaust all food and have to go looking for more after feeding my measly 250 man crew. I don't know how I'll manage once I get into the real big ships.

This is on captain difficulty, don't know if that effects anything or not.

EDIT -- Ok, after examining some files, namely the "food.c" file, I've notice a key difference between your file and the stock cmv3 file.

Stock:

#include "TEXT\scripts\Food.h"

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->
#define FOOD_BY_CREW 10.0
#define FOOD_BY_SLAVES 20.0
#define FOOD_BY_PASSENGERS 10.0

TradeMod:

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->
#define FOOD_BY_CREW 1.0
#define FOOD_BY_SLAVES 2.0
#define FOOD_BY_PASSENGERS 1.0

We know that slaves consume half the food that a normal crew member does. Therefore the smaller the number the more food is consumed. Or at least this is how a rookie modder like me interprets these numbers. So to follow, it appears that in your mod the crew is consuming 10x the amount of food as compared to stock cmv3, making it seem like food is in short supply. Again, I'm a novice at reading this data, but if this is intended; wow! As I stated earlier I'm having trouble scraping meals together for a meager 250 guys. What the heck am I going to do when I have a big fleet with 1000+ crew between my ships?

1st the problem, just noticed that slaves weigh 30 each, te heaviest item in the game. I had a ship surrender, to 90 of them as slaves, used up 2700 cargo space in my hold. Put me way over the limit. Perhaps this is intentional, or is it a mistake?

Yes, this is intentional. It was found that cramming thousands upon thosand of slaves into a ship is also completly unrealistic. The largest slaving vessel, built exclusively for this purpose, had room for only 1000 slaves, and many died during the journey.

And the concern: Food seems very scarce. My current ship is Enterprise class, I'm running max crew of 250. Seems that all I get done doing is bouncing around looking for food. Port - au - Prince used to be my hangout (before this mod) as food was always plentiful there, now I exhaust all food and have to go looking for more after feeding my measly 250 man crew. I don't know how I'll manage once I get into the real big ships.

EDIT -- Ok, after examining some files, namely the "food.c" file, I've notice a key difference between your file and the stock cmv3 file.

Stock:

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->

TradeMod:

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->
#define FOOD_BY_CREW 1.0

We know that slaves consume half the food that a normal crew member does. Therefore the smaller the number the more food is consumed. Or at least this is how a rookie modder like me interprets these numbers. So to follow, it appears that in your mod the crew is consuming 10x the amount of food as compared to stock cmv3, making it seem like food is in short supply. Again, I'm a novice at reading this data, but if this is intended; wow! As I stated earlier I'm having trouble scraping meals together for a meager 250 guys. What the heck am I going to do when I have a big fleet with 1000+ crew between my ships?

The food issue is an on going issue that we are trying to figure out. The reason why we adjusted this was because we felt that food was hard to come by in the first place. I should have stated that we havent quite nailed this food issue down, but i have done testing in regards to this. I will devoting all of my work on this issue tommorrow, and hsould have a fix available. I do have a feeling that you are correct in this regard. I had been looking at the problem all wrong.

I will keep you posted

(FB EDIT: After testing today, I have found that shovelmonkey is correct in his assesment, and the larger the number, the less food it takes to keep your crew fed. Thank you very much shovelmonkey for pointing that out. As such, I am releasing v1.5 of the trade overhaul mod, complete with 50% increase for how long food will last for slaves and crew, and a 50% reduction for how long food will last for passengers (I fell that paying passengers should be allowed to eat more, and this is also for a future mod

The newest version Trade Overhaul v1.5
)

Yes, this is intentional. It was found that cramming thousands upon thosand of slaves into a ship is also completly unrealistic. The largest slaving vessel, built exclusively for this purpose, had room for only 1000 slaves, and many died during the journey.

Stock:

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->

TradeMod:

#define I_MIN_MORALE 10
// boal -->
#define FOOD_BY_CREW 1.0

The food issue is an on going issue that we are trying to figure out. The reason why we adjusted this was because we felt that food was hard to come by in the first place. I should have stated that we havent quite nailed this food issue down, but i have done testing in regards to this. I will devoting all of my work on this issue tommorrow, and hsould have a fix available. I do have a feeling that you are correct in this regard. I had been looking at the problem all wrong.

I will keep you posted

(FB EDIT: After testing today, I have found that shovelmonkey is correct in his assesment, and the larger the number, the less food it takes to keep your crew fed. Thank you very much shovelmonkey for pointing that out. As such, I am releasing v1.5 of the trade overhaul mod, complete with 50% increase for how long food will last for slaves and crew, and a 50% reduction for how long food will last for passengers (I fell that paying passengers should be allowed to eat more, and this is also for a future mod

The newest version Trade Overhaul v1.5
)

Downloading and installing now!

Uninstalling that mod for it just ruined the game. Sorry but this is not a simulation. The added ships are bad enough in CM mods, but can be coped with. Next thing someone will add AK47's.

The game is far too easy with the stock game value's for the goods. You can make alot of money from just a few trips and by the second month you are already looking to buy a trade ship like the Fluet. I know this isn't a simulation but this mod makes it far more realistic to how it would have been and adds more playablility to the game since you have to do alot more trading before you can buy a better ship, with the added Bermuda upgrade mod this works very well. I know we can't please everyone as much as we would like to but i believe the mods been added to CMV3 have made the game far more playable and the new mods in developement like the trade mod have further increased the playability of the game. Some minor changes can be made to make the weight of slaves a little lighter but even so the chances are you still will not be able to carry many more slaves than you can right now.

Uninstalling that mod for it just ruined the game. Sorry but this is not a simulation. The added ships are bad enough in CM mods, but can be coped with. Next thing someone will add AK47's.
So i don't quite understand. Do you find that this mod makes the game too easy or too difficult. Perhaps if you specified your issues with the mod, I could adjust them in a way that you see fit. I do not mind critism, just so long as it is constructive.

The game is far too easy with the stock game value's for the goods. You can make alot of money from just a few trips and by the second month you are already looking to buy a trade ship like the Fluet. I know this isn't a simulation but this mod makes it far more realistic to how it would have been and adds more playablility to the game since you have to do alot more trading before you can buy a better ship, with the added Bermuda upgrade mod this works very well. I know we can't please everyone as much as we would like to but i believe the mods been added to CMV3 have made the game far more playable and the new mods in developement like the trade mod have further increased the playability of the game. Some minor changes can be made to make the weight of slaves a little lighter but even so the chances are you still will not be able to carry many more slaves than you can right now.

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.

This is a fantastic mod FireBat! Great work mates! The economy in these games has always been way to simplistic, and this mod improves on it a great deal! :onya

This is a fantastic mod FireBat! Great work mates! The economy in these games has always been way to simplistic, and this mod improves on it a great deal! :onya

Thanks matey. I cant stress enough how much help I had to build this mod. A large portion of that help came from Officerpuppy by showing me the ropes, and another large portion came from Luke159 who did all the weight adjustments for the various goods. Without the help from these 2, I'd still be trying to figure stuff out.

Yet, there is plenty of room for improvment in the economy of this game. As time goes along, we will be looking to improve other areas of the economy, including a way to try introduce triangular trade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade) As well, more tradeable items will be added, and the rebalancing will dialed in a bit better.

Please, if you have any suggestions as to how the triangle trade system can be accomplished, or other ideas that you may have, please post them, or drop me a pm.

After further testing, Luke and myself have found that some items are much too heavy. We (and by we i mean mostly Luke159) have dialed in the weights of all the trade goods, and cannons.
This is the final release of this mod (I hope)
here

(PS dont forget to use the re-init button to have the wieghts applied to your current save game. The re-init button is shown bellow in the white box)

Sail+Mode+1.JPG

Nice one, Firebat. Love seeing things made so its not so easy the game becomes boring in no time.

Cap'n Drow

Edit: Post removed because I'm a fool. I had downloaded 1.4 (the version in the first post, should probably update that) and the food balancing was incredibly unbalanced, so I whined a bit. I've just realized my mistake and am installing 1.6 now...

This mod has been added in part to cmv3 patch 1. However a couple of files were left out.
Trade Overhaul mod 1.6 is available here and on the first post of this thread

Oh. Well. Crap. What are the odds that installing this over 3.1 would actually do damage, then? I'd hate for any of the bugs I've been reporting to actually be the result of a stupid mistake on my part.

Edit: Yup, there are conflicts. Suppose this will teach me not to remember what I read in the release notes :facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back