• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tribute

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
As a tribute to the late Captain Murphy, I've been working on a little something. First, thanks to @Flannery and @Armada for permission to use the tribute soundtracks "Hail Captain Murphy" and "Final Salute" - if you haven't already seen the videos, go and look at them now!
Buccaneers! Original Soundtrack Out Now!
Use of the soundtracks is subject to the strict condition that they are only for NH, not to be copied elsewhere and definitely not to be uploaded elsewhere - but we're all honourable pirates here and none of us would betray that trust or dishonour the late Captain, would we? :no

So now, here's how the tracks go into "New Horizons". Hidden away in one of the pirate bases is Captain Murphy's house. Where exactly? You'll have to find it, it won't be marked... Inside, you'll hear "Hail Captain Murphy", while "Final Salute" will be added to the tracks which can play when you're cruising at sea. The house is based on one of the residences - you can see the original version already, it's Port au Prince town hall. The version used for this tribute has been redecorated a bit:
murphy_house.jpg
There are some obvious signs that this place belonged to a pirate:
flag.jpg painting_shield.jpg

That ship in the painting is HMS Pomone, a Leda class frigate, because I couldn't find a picture of another similar frigate, HMS Unicorn, in her original state as a sailing ship. One of Captain Murphy's projects was a virtual museum of HMS Unicorn:
HMS Unicorn Virtual Museum
So as well as the painting, the house has a floor with a black and white checkerboard pattern similar to the one seen there.

Now I need a bit of help. So this is your chance to make your own contribution to the tribute. First, any suggestions for a replacement for this portrait, currently still the original from the town hall?
portrait.jpg

Ultimately there should be some sort of sidequest which will lead you to this house. Suggestions for a suitable quest, or preferably someone volunteering to write it, would be welcome.

the original from the town hall?
portrait.jpg
Is that part of the famous Rembrandt from the Amsterdam Rijksmuseum??
That looks really oddly familiar.
Nachtwacht.

Otherwise I could use the profile picture, though that shows someone else as well, possibly one of @Captain Murphy's friends:
murphy_profile.jpg
Cut out the Captain.
Painting filter over it.
Swap out the background.
Would that work?

Cut out the Captain.
Painting filter over it.
Swap out the background.
Would that work?
Something like this?
profile_portrait128.jpg

The Captain from the portrait photo is pasted into a standard 128x128 PoTC portrait interface frame, with the text from the video tribute added below. The text can easily be replaced if someone wants to write a replacement.

It will need some more work once I find out what the room model does to it. The picture in the room has the top corners clipped to form an arch, which is going to ruin the interface portrait frame. In any case, this is in reserve in case there is an objection to the screenshot from the video, which is a better picture and has no problem with the arched frame.

When I see the picture of Captain Murphy on the wall, I can't help but think of Gray Roger and remember Gray Roger. I've never seen a picture before, and what's so special about this picture is that it's inside the game and not out in reality like it usually does, this is a fun difference that puts the icing on the cake.

It seems so incredibly right to do this, the art is right, his image is majestic, standing where it should be and not being moved around by people, everything seems right to go in that direction.

At the same time, this helps to keep the game alive for me and certainly for many others as well.

I am also quite sure that we can shrink the memory of Gray Roger into a wooden frame, I am one hundred percent sure that he himself wanted this. There is nothing more romantic than having a grave on the wall where the whole grave reminds us of his majestic craftsman qualities.

On top of this, the game lives on when you see how much honor the game designers demand from the players to keep the content of the game and not replace it with bone scraps and coffee beans. There seems like there are very little that stands in the way of creative honor, it has gone to the edge now.

The only question remains, is there anything the craftsman wouldn't have done and get some credit for it? Learning to find the stop button is art in itself.

My message is not "Thank you for making me think about this" but my message is: "KEEP THE IMAGE, KEEP IT FOR ONE MORE MINUTE PLEASE"

Last edited:
Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated (and misspelled). And this, fellow shipmates, is why you should never trust AI writing tools such as ChatGPT. :g2

You are alive and doing well. The game however is rotting and someday people want to take distance from the game. Having this wonderful ability to have a relief is a blessing to us. You are doing great Grey Roger, keep up the good work and remember that everybody is smiling, and sometimes they complain, but mostly happy and smiling.
:walkplank

Captain Murphy want everyone to remember the game, and then discover Captain Murphy at the end of the game when they are elsewhere. When happiness manifests at full power, nothing beats seeing a good name after that. The last thing I want to see is someone right after I've been in the bar and shot someone, I don't want to see somebody else right after that moment.

Keep up the good work you are doing a lot of great things and I appreciate you, whether you believe it or not. There is time for fun and then there is time for learning.

Signature
Nothing is more poisonous than to spend a full year teaching your child a lesson
Go all in or go home

Last edited:
Back