• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Trinity, Postillionen and more

How noob friendly is maya for someone who has had no experience whatsoever in 3D modeling?
In short: not very. At first glance you wouldn't have a clue what to do if it weren't for the tutorials here. I certainly wouldn't. :wacko:
However, the tutorials I mentioned above do help quite a bit, at least for the export process. If you want modelling tutorials, you'll need to find them on the web.
I've noticed myself that there are many videos and step-by-step guides out there for Maya, and while most of them apply to newer versions, you can still get the general idea.
Once you know that you're doing, though, it's easier to use than you think.

What makes it harder to get your head around is the very strict process for getting a ship in-game.
It's absolutely crucial to use the right materials, textures, settings etc, or you'll end up with a problematic ship.
What you also need to consider is that the higher poly models really put a lot of stress on your pc.
Take the stress the ship causes in-game, times that by ten, and you'll see what I mean. :modding

Anyway, the bottom line is, if you want to learn how to use it, then start experimenting!
Go through a few tutorials, have a look at some of the current ships, and you'll start to see patterns emerging.
If you want any help, feel free to ask some of the modellers. I can help with exporting, but I don't know as much about modelling at the moment.

Yeikes! In that case I think I'll leave the ship converting to those with actual experience.

Hope someone tackles the Christianus soon.

Back