• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Trinity, Postillionen and more

NIIIICE there SeaNorris the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Perde too now AWSOME. :woot The build mod is just gonna rock with all these new ships to come.

Wow ANOTHER PotBS favorite of mine I'm about to get re-aquainted with cool. :cheers

Rock On SeaNorris. :onya

Hi,

To whoever is doing this model.....I'll have it all separated into parts ready to work on in Maya 5 some time tonight.
That should just leave whoever does it,....cannons to fit, textures to apply , locators & walk patch to do coz I'm back to my character work tomorrow.
BTW....is there a texture file for the rest of the ship or do we have to make one?

:cheers
damski.

Ah gotta love misbehaving computers....NOT! A few good whacks with a big wrench should do the trick so says the holywood movie "Armageddon. <AMERICAN COMPONENTS, RUSSIAN COMPONENTS, THEY'RE ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!>

But seriously I wish you well in getting it to behave again there Demski. :yes

Any new developments here? Have you been able to re-establish contact with remus77? If not what ARE your latest developments there SeaNorris? :hmm

Hmmm. I wonder what has happened to Remus77 there. Well if things don't pan out with Remus there I also have the plans for the ship the Trinity was based on in my FTP folder as a potential Plan-B as I REALLY want my Trinity back.

Good news!

The Christianus Sextus (Trinity), Postillionen, San Fernando and a variation of the HMS Unicorn by Remus are now in my folder on the PA ftp, they are all in Maya format so I can't open them but would someone do me a favour and upload a version I can import in 3ds Max so I can take a look? I would appreciate it :) Also has anyone made a start on converting Kris Wood's ships yet?

The Christianus will need its size looking at as its the scaled down version Remus submitted to FLS, here are a few size comparisons:

Raae (Raa frigate) Length = 110ft
Postillionen = 94ft
Christianus Sextus 180ft

I assume the Unicorn variant is Chapman Plate 55 so is 122.5ft between Perpendiculars, not sure if the other ships are measured between perpendiculars or overall but the info I got for them came from this site: http://koti.mbnet.fi/felipe/Denmark/Denmark_ships_1700-1850/denmark_ships_1700-1850.html

Enjoy,

That's great news! If I find time I'll convert the ships for you. Does OBJ format work in Max?

As far as I know, no-one has taken on Kris Wood's ships yet. I would have a go myself, but I have a lot going on already. Hopefully someone will soon. :shrug

EDIT: It seems you're still using the old FTP to upload your files. Please see this thread for the new login details: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/10288-piratesahoy-ftp/

OBJ format would work fine, thanks Armada. :)

I have also uploaded the files to the PotC files FTP so thanks for pointing out I was using the old ftp details.

Regards,

There seems to be a problem opening the Maya files you provided. :facepalm
I've just tried the Christianus, and a message appeared saying: "Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss".
I'll see if any of the others are the same, and if they are then you might need to let Remus know.

EDIT: Yep, the problem affects all his ships.

Armada,

Was it Maya 5 you tried to open it with? I tried with Maya 5 and got the same errors so it may require a newer version of Maya to open or maybe a Maya file converter. I also get the same errors when trying to open the Packet Boat and Yacht that comes with the PotBS shipwright guide.

Regards,

Yes I'm using Maya 5, so perhaps it is a version compatibility issue. I'll have a look around for any plugins which might help. :mm

EDIT: After some snooping around, I think I've found the solution! The trick is to use a HEX editor to open the file first, and to replace the '7.0' on the second line with '5.0'.
You can then view the model in Maya 5, even though the same error message still appears. I think that can be safely ignored.
It's all because of a lack of backwards compatibility, since the models were clearly made in Maya 7.

Do you still want the files in OBJ format, or can you now open them yourself in Maya?

Good news!

The Christianus Sextus (Trinity), Postillionen, San Fernando and a variation of the HMS Unicorn by Remus are now in my folder on the PA ftp, they are all in Maya format so I can't open them but would someone do me a favour and upload a version I can import in 3ds Max so I can take a look? I would appreciate it :) Also has anyone made a start on converting Kris Wood's ships yet?

The Christianus will need its size looking at as its the scaled down version Remus submitted to FLS, here are a few size comparisons:

Raae (Raa frigate) Length = 110ft
Postillionen = 94ft
Christianus Sextus 180ft

I assume the Unicorn variant is Chapman Plate 55 so is 122.5ft between Perpendiculars, not sure if the other ships are measured between perpendiculars or overall but the info I got for them came from this site: http://koti.mbnet.fi/felipe/Denmark/Denmark_ships_1700-1850/denmark_ships_1700-1850.html

Enjoy,

Well I'll be... :woot You managed to get these ships after all. NICE WORK SeaNorris. :cheers I must admit I was a bit worried there. Glad it finally worked out.

Now all we have to do is get em in game ASAP. Heck I'd tackle the trinity myself if I knew even the 1st thing about making or converting ship models for this game (which I don't sadly) so we'll need the other shipbuilders to convert them.

Hope to see these ships in game soon. :yes

As far as I know, no-one has taken on Kris Wood's ships yet. I would have a go myself, but I have a lot going on already. Hopefully someone will soon. :shrug

I've never done any modding for this game at all but am willing to give conversion a try. I have VERY little free time but will fiddle with it here and there indefinitely until someone with more time and experience can take over. Now to decide which one to start with. I suppose the Medway longboat (while the least interesting) would be the easiest hmm...

If you want to have a go yourself, there are some tutorials around which should be of some help. They all involve using Maya 5, I believe (which you can get from our downloads section).
This tutorial gives a detailed step-by-step guide on preparing your ship and exporting it,
while this tutorial covers applying the textures and a few of the important settings needed to export correctly.
I think they offer somewhat conflicting information at times, but with some experimentation of your own, you should hopefully figure out what works and what doesn't.

If you manage to successfully export any models to GM format, then upload them to the FTP and I'll handle the coding for you. ;)

After hex editing the files they now open in Maya 5 so I can export them to max now, thanks Armada. :bow

Yes I'm using Maya 5, so perhaps it is a version compatibility issue. I'll have a look around for any plugins which might help. :mm

EDIT: After some snooping around, I think I've found the solution! The trick is to use a HEX editor to open the file first, and to replace the '7.0' on the second line with '5.0'.
You can then view the model in Maya 5, even though the same error message still appears. I think that can be safely ignored.
It's all because of a lack of backwards compatibility, since the models were clearly made in Maya 7.

Do you still want the files in OBJ format, or can you now open them yourself in Maya?

Back