• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tropico 3

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I purchased Tropico 3 Gold Edition a few weeks back in the December sales (i know they normally start in January but they was started in December as a way to get more shoppers into the stores to beat the inflation increase) anyway after playing the game as much as i could i soon started finding it very repetative and boring. I have all the Tropico games but this was the first i had ever installed and played. Tropio 1 and 2 are still sealed and to be honest i still can't work out why i purchased them. :shrug

I got annoyed by the fact that creating a random map would leave you with a difficulty value of 11% for large maps so i searched for way's to edit the files and soon found what i was searching for Advanced Challange Editing this was the second game i had purchased of their's and edited. The other game was Pole Position (a Formula 1 management game), but that too got boring and repetative. GPW was the best F1 management game i had ever played but it had its down sides in that the game ended after 10 seasons which puit me off since i like games that either offer you the option to continue playing or don't have a end date and if they do have a end date that it can be edited to a date of your choosing.

The things i picked faults for Tropico 3 was no fire crew, what is a city building game without the fire station?

Public transport, yes you can place garages where ever you like and some buildings already have a garage but you soon see high traffic levels which in turn coursed the game to crash. Why no buses, trains etc.

Why transporting goods to the dock has to be done via car's why can't they have freight trains that collect the goods from a warehouse and deliver it to the docks for transportation?

The consept of the game is fine but their are so many holes that require something doing that it makes the game some what unplayable for the more advanced city builder in us. For example if you build a residental zone and a commercial zone near each other and the industrial zone is some distance away the people will move into shacks near the places of work so you are forced to place garages near the homes which in turn coursed to much traffic and the game to be unstable. I personally think adding busses to the game and making it so the tropicans will use public transport over car's if near their places of work and homes then they would fix this problem and add more injoyment to the game.

Don't get me wrong i had day's of fun playing the game, but its not till you've played the game for so long that you start picking way's to improve it Or maybe thats just me) but i'm sure if some sort of things was added that improved transport of goods to the docks and the way tropicans can get to work places then people wouldn't moan about those new features but more or less accept them as a step in the right direction as long as they worked in the way they was said to work. Now i have Patrian 4, i have installed it but i haven't played it. I will no doubt play it when i next take a break from working on COAS, but that will not be for some time so it will just collect dust till then.

Thanks for the heads up on Tropico 3.

I had Tropico 3 in my hands but instead purchased, (forgive me), Grand Theft Auto Trilogy for an xmas gift to myself, oops!!!. Unending violence, fun driving, good music, still having fun a month later but not a very deep game or thought provoking for sure, high on action though. Not a game for children or even some adults way to violent.

If anyone likes city builder type games American Conquest or American Conquest Divided Nation are rather good city builder and civil war simulations. The prior is an older game and probably the better of the two simply because of the time span that the game recreates, both are equally good though. Start with a few men and build your shack into a fortress. Buy, sell, negotiate, and of course mine for gold, coal, ore and harvest crops. Then build a ragtag army and defend your thriving fort or capture other settler villages or relive an actual civil war battle. Very good but time consuming the pace is slow. It is good for the strategy fan or anyone interested in the civil war and it has pretty simple controls and hot-keys. I enjoy these games from time to time they never disappoint.

Minecraft anyone?
Try Manic Digger, it is a clone of Minecraft and open source.
The Minecraft people don't like this one so it must be good. Very strange concept but fun. 
For information go to: http://manicdigger.blogspot.com/ 
Who would of thought digging a mine could be fun ?

I just had to jump in, I have been wondering about Tropico for a while now, thanks for the review / opinion.

Lord Fauntleroy, hold up in dry dock.

Back