• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unconfirmed Bug Turks fort

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
Dunno if this is actually a bug or not but.....

On my 2nd visit to Turks my Polacca was intercepted by an English fleet and I had to swap flags around in order to buy time to make it into port. By the time I made it into range of the fort I was flying a friendly flag and was already neutral with the Pirates anyway, and the fort let me in.

On leaving the fort fired on me so the only way to leave was to go immediately to the world map. This has been the case on every visit there since. The fort lets me enter port but does not let me leave normally. I have tried talking to the Governor but there is no dialog.

Is there any way to remedy this?

So it's fine going in, but not going out? That is REALLY weird!
Could you post your compile.log from when that happens?
There should be some details in there that will hopefully explain what's going on... :shock

That can happen if you start outside visual range, sail-to port, and the flag detection doesn't have time to kick in. But it checks you at once when you leave port.

I'm more worried about the lack of dialog from the Turks Island governor. @Hylie Pistof, could you post "error.log" from after you try to talk to the governor? And "system.log" as well; sometimes the cause of the problem shows up there instead.

That can happen if you start outside visual range, sail-to port, and the flag detection doesn't have time to kick in. But it checks you at once when you leave port.
True, that could be.
I think the false flag chance is checked every minute, but I imagine it would be possible to bypass it with a quick Sail-To.

I'm more worried about the lack of dialog from the Turks Island governor.
No dialog at all, or no dialog about sorting out the flags?

I did not "sail-to" but direct sailed in all the way. When I tried to talk to the Governor the dialog was the standard one about not having anything to talk about as all was well.

If I recall, the Turks "governor" is usually assigned some sort of "relation agent" dialog by default.
That only changes once you join the pirates. Maybe that is something to be changed at some point?

The Governor there is an agent. He asked me if I had any problems with Pirates and I replied that I changed my mind.

I went to Turks again. Going in all was calm and the compile log said my ship was out of range of the fort so it could not do the friend or foe check. When it came to leaving all was once again calm. The compile log said the fort remembered me as having a Polacca, which I no longer have, so it reset itself to friendly.

So it appears that the problem solved itself.

I do still wonder what happened in the first place.
Any chance of a compile.log from when the problem did occur?

No chance at all of that as I have gone through hundreds of saves since then. I did just complete the Animist quest last night and berthed the square rig ships needed for the final battle and am once again sailing that same Polacca, so it might trigger the fort again. But if I am not frantically swapping flags around again it will probably not trigger the fort.

Yes, you should be safe now, provided the fort doesn't see you again with a non-Pirate flag. It previously remembered you as hostile in a polacca. If, last time, it saw you without the polacca, it won't have recognised you, and that breaks its record. The fort shouldn't remember you at all, or if it does, it should remember you as friendly and in something else. So it won't recognise you in the polacca on your next visit.

If I recall, the Turks "governor" is usually assigned some sort of "relation agent" dialog by default.
That only changes once you join the pirates. Maybe that is something to be changed at some point?
Turks Island's normal "governor" is indeed an agent. It gets a proper governor during the "Jack Sparrow" storyline. Otherwise Nevis Pirate settlement is the home of the pirate boss. (This, I believe, was the intent behind the Pirate "nation". If you're hostile, you must first go to Turks Island to make peace, then go to Nevis to join the Brotherhood.)

Turks Island's normal "governor" is indeed an agent. It gets a proper governor during the "Jack Sparrow" storyline. Otherwise Nevis Pirate settlement is the home of the pirate boss. (This, I believe, was the intent behind the Pirate "nation". If you're hostile, you must first go to Turks Island to make peace, then go to Nevis to join the Brotherhood.)
True. It does mean that if you upset any pirate fort by accident, you cannot possibly fix it without joining the Brotherhood.
While on the hand, any regular nations allow you to fix the forts as long as you aren't an enemy...

True. It does mean that if you upset any pirate fort by accident, you cannot possibly fix it without joining the Brotherhood.
Or by capturing another ship, hiding the one you had while you upset the fort, and sailing into the pirate port in the new ship under a pirate flag. ;)

Back