• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Two characters, one ID

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
What happens if two characters have the same ID?

There's a woman in Cayman port who uses the "Fanielle" model and whose walking animation doesn't quite match her movement, so she seems to slide along the ground. I was trying to figure out how to fix this (still don't know what's wrong, she's using the same "woman_sit.ani" which drives other female characters without the same problem). Her name is Ginny Weasly. (Presumably whoever put her there is a "Harry Potter" fan. xD) Her ID is "Gillian Atterbury".

I know the real Gillian Atterbury. She's one of the oldest characters in the game; she's a permanent resident of Port Royale port, and was there in the stock game.

One effect is that 'CharacterFromId' doesn't work properly. If you try to get 'CharacterFromID("Gillian Atterbury")', you actually get Ginny Weasly, which is going to be a problem if anyone tries to write a quest involving the real Gillian Atterbury.

Obvious fix: Ginny Weasly is going to get a new ID.

What happens if two characters have the same ID?
If they both exist at the same time: The game gets confused and probably always returns one of the two, while the other ones barely exists.
If a storyline character file contains an existing character ID, I think the storyline version overwrites the regular one.

Obvious fix: Ginny Weasly is going to get a new ID.
That is definitely wise! Two characters with the same ID active at the same time = :thumbsdown2

Back