• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Two more questions about gameplay...

bobboberts

Landlubber
First question; I have slots for many officers but I can only have two? I can only assume this means as my rank goes up I will be able to hire more officers right?

Second question; After capturing ships in COAS; I noticed that I cannot issue orders to my other ship?. I could have sworn in other previous games you could do things like; 'Follow me', 'Attack this ship', 'Run away' etc. etc.?
But COAS doesn't have any command options?

Thanks.

Rank has nothing to do with it. The number of officers you can hire is determined by your authority stat, which you can raise only by one point during the course of the game. How much did you put into authority?

Open the command menu (I think the enter key; so that you have those little square icons next to your ship's icon in the upper left), then left/right arrow chooses commands, while up/down arrow chooses ships to issue commands to.

I just left the default values were they were.

As for commands, I did enter enter. There was only things like move my own ship to enemy and thats it, reload canon, etc, but there was nothing to do with issue commands to other ship?

I just left the default values were they were.

As for commands, I did enter enter. There was only things like move my own ship to enemy and thats it, reload canon, etc, but there was nothing to do with issue commands to other ship?

Yuo cannot have an Authority less then 3. Which means you cannot be limited to less then 6 officers. The max number of the officers you can use is 7 so it seems you are 1 officer short... but this limitation (Authority x 2) is working only for the generic officers. The quest officers yoiu can hire are above this limit so you are great with the very min of Authority (3).
PS. Also the officers you park with ships at the ports are not counted too. You can have up to 3 of them in every town (besides Panama, Port Orange and the pirate towns).

Well I didn't check my authority level yet. But all I know is that I can only have 2 officers. When ever I try to hire more it says something like I cannot hire anymore, I'm full right now. Maybe its penalizing me because of my ship is class 2?

Please don't think I'm insulting you, but I'll ask an even more basic question....how much money do you have? No cash, no officer recruitment. I can never afford more than two when I start out. :shrug

MK

Well I didn't check my authority level yet. But all I know is that I can only have 2 officers. When ever I try to hire more it says something like I cannot hire anymore, I'm full right now. Maybe its penalizing me because of my ship is class 2?
If you have red numbers at the stats screen it is penalty indeed. You need to gather some money (about 40k I think it was) and to park the ship at the nearest harbor.

I have about 560,000.00. You mean I should give my ship to port control office then hire more officers that way? Ok I'll try it. By the way I checked my leadership its 10; but beside it is red saying(-9). So I guess that
gives me 1 then total?

P.S.
My computer is dual core, fast video card, but the frame rate sucks, maybe about 15 fps? I think the program wasn't efficiently written or something. I tried to use one core with set affinity in win xp but it crashes everytime I do it. I have almost no sub processes running in the background.

Buy another ship at the shipyard and give that to an officer who is bad or above for loyalty, then press F2 and double click on your companions ship and swap the ships over and tranfer any crew and goods you need for your new ship (crew is a must because they leave the ship for good once its put into parking). Now head to the port control officer and put your old ship in port till your ready to use the ship again. I think the nav stats are as follows.

0 - 25 = classes 7 & 6
25 - 35 = class 5
35 - 45 = class 4
45 - 75 = class 3
75 - 95 = class 2
95 - 100 = class 1

I think thats how it goes for the nav skils, anyway as you can see the Arabella been a class 2 ship requires some where in the region of at least a nav skill of 80. If you have an officer with a nav skill of 80 then you can put him/her in charge of navigation and you can use the Arabella without any penaulties. :onya

I went to the shipyard and bought another ship... but my original ship disappears? It won't allow me to have 2 ships? I'll just have to capture another ship.

I went to the shipyard and bought another ship... but my original ship disappears? It won't allow me to have 2 ships? I'll just have to capture another ship.
You buy ships into those slots on the left. Click on a slot, then buy a ship into it. If you buy a ship while a slot that already has one is selected, the old ship is replaced by the new one.

Too late! I captured a ship. Then moved everybody to the new smaller ship, went to port control put my class 2 in storage, then found a carpenter, treasurer, doctor for my crew. Now I'm debating whether to get back the class 2
since it was so easy to capture other ships with it.

Also my stats went way up getting rid of the class 2. I fought skeletons and was almost invinvible now.

Too late! I captured a ship. Then moved everybody to the new smaller ship, went to port control put my class 2 in storage, then found a carpenter, treasurer, doctor for my crew. Now I'm debating whether to get back the class 2

Also my stats went way up getting rid of the class 2. I fought skeletons and was almost invinvible now.

If you get your class 2 ship again your numbers will drop in the toilet again. And the officers you have over the allowed number will get out of control.
Also except if you are using cheats authority 10 is absolutely useless. Which means you dumbed down your really vital stats to get this useless authority.

It will soon get annoying at how easy you are capturing ships trust me i know. I would seggest leaving your class 2 ship in port and using a smaller ship thats suited to your stats. Hunt for ships, learn how to be more tactical in battle and enjoy the fight as you each try to take the advantage over the each other. Only once you have a nav officer or your own van skill allows you to use the class 2 ship should you do so till then build your character up.

Back