• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Two questions

stethnorun

Landlubber
So I picked medium weapons as my preferred style. But it seems like light and heavy weapons are favored MUCH more by the game. Is this really the case or are there some higher level medium swords I'm just not seeing?

Also, if I have an officer for every post on my ship, other than the flags, what is the point of ship skills for your captain? Should I just overlap my officers? Do those skills even work since I'm not "assigned" as a doctor or cannoneer or whatever?

<!--quoteo(post=332739:date=Jun 25 2009, 07:21 PM:name=stethnorun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stethnorun @ Jun 25 2009, 07:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I picked medium weapons as my preferred style. But it seems like light and heavy weapons are favored MUCH more by the game. Is this really the case or are there some higher level medium swords I'm just not seeing?

Also, if I have an officer for every post on my ship, other than the flags, what is the point of ship skills for your captain? Should I just overlap my officers? Do those skills even work since I'm not "assigned" as a doctor or cannoneer or whatever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are very nice medium weapons. The damage will always be less that heavy weapons, but medium and light don't eat up as much energy to swing.

For a ship perk to work, either you, or an officer in the correct slot have to have a skill. You can prove this to yourself by getting a skill like 'quick turn' and seeing that it still shows up in the action bar when you don't have a navigator assigned. My guess is that your skill don't stack with your officer, but I havn't found a way to prove that to myself yet.

<!--quoteo(post=332739:date=Jun 25 2009, 06:21 PM:name=stethnorun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stethnorun @ Jun 25 2009, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=332739"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, if I have an officer for every post on my ship, other than the flags, what is the point of ship skills for your captain? Should I just overlap my officers? Do those skills even work since I'm not "assigned" as a doctor or cannoneer or whatever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You can save an officer if number of officers (low authority) or money is a problem. Other then that, it helps at lower ranks when your officers do not have all their job related perks and you add a few till they can get them. Cannoneer for example has lots of perks to get.

No, perks don't stack. The reason you have ship perks as well is that they're a vestigial feature from the earlier Storm-based games. IIRC, in the earlier games there was no division between ship perk points and personal perk points. You had to make a choice between investing your points into ship perks, thus being able to sail the ship efficiently without hired help at the cost of decreased efficiency in personal combat, and investing in personal perks, making your more able in combat but requiring costly officers to supply the needed ship expertise.
Now that there are separate point pools for ship perks and personal perks that is no longer the case, you don't make that choice anymore. IMO that's a bad thing. The system's good, but there should be some more ship perks, ones that only the captain can use, so that you had to make a choice between being more of a stuff doing captain who doesn't need officers or an orders shouting captain who relies on others to sail effectively.

Back