• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Updates to the 'Jolly Mon'

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Looking through my development folders, I found something odd - an old model for "tartane50_mast4.gm". As far as I can see, the only difference between that version and the current one is that the old one has a geometry locator for "basket", and indeed there is still "tartane50_Basket.gm" included in the folder "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\Tartane50".

Watch the sequence of Captain Jack Sparrow entering Port Royale, either by re-watching the film, searching YouTube, or just watching the game video "RESOURCE\VIDEOS\LegendJackSparrow\jack_entrance.wmv". Or just look at this:
sparrow_mast.jpg
The "real" Jolly Mon does have a basket on the mast. It's a hollow frame, whereas "tartane50_Basket.gm" is solid and has a lid, and appears to be a duplicate of the one which may appear among the flotsam of a sunken ship. So the model is not accurate but it's better than nothing, which is what "Tartane50" has at the moment.

Then there's the flag. It's not an ensign, it's a pennant - it may not be as long and streamy as the pennants seen on some models of larger ships, but it's longer, streamier and forkier than any ensign should be, and more so than some of the pennants seen on older models. Indeed, the standard pennant design does not cut deeply enough between the tails to depict this one, but that's easily handled by playing with the alpha channel. So then the question becomes, where to put the texture? Jack Sparrow already has two personal flags and as we're running short of personal flag slots, he's not getting another. So this one can replace the pennant for either his British flag (St. George's cross plus red bird) or non-British flag (blue flag with yellow bird).

As an experiment, I replaced the non-British pennant, put the original mast model back into place, edited "Ships_init.c" to make "Tartane50" use a pennant instead of an ensign, and this is the result:
tartane50_1.jpg

Very cool, @Grey Roger!

All improvement is better, of course. :onya

Since this pennant is red with white, I wouldn't suggest joining it with a blue/yellow ensign.
For me, it would make sense for the pennants and ensigns to have a somewhat matching colour scheme.

For blue/yellow flag: that's the one assigned to you by the time you're at Tortuga and about to sail to Port Royale.
For St. George's cross: you're supposed to be trying to sneak into Port Royale so it makes sense to fly the British style personal flag.

Either way, both the texture assignment and the 'HoistFlag(PERSONAL_NATION)' go into "Annamaria_dialog.c". For a while I thought I was going to have to do something sneaky with relations so that Port Royale fort doesn't sink you, bearing in mind that you're probably hostile to Britain at this point (you're a pirate, plus Cutler Beckett doesn't like you). Then I realised that it doesn't matter. The moment you enter Jamaica's waters, the video of Sparrow sailing into Port Royale plays, after which you teleport to the dock and auto-hoist a British flag, which ties into both ways that you can leave Port Royale. (Steal the Interceptor or do the governor's sidequest.) And when you leave, you're not on a "Tartane50" any more, so if the fort did get a record of you on the way in, it doesn't have the record when you're on the way out.

The only precaution I've taken was to make the command in "Annamaria_dialog.c" to auto-hoist a Personal flag conditional on your relation to Pirates. If you've done something silly and become hostile to Pirates then you'll be in Tortuga under a false Pirate flag and you don't auto-hoist Personal, so Tortuga fort shouldn't sink you. But if you're not hostile to Pirates then you auto-hoist the Personal flag with the correct pennant texture, so you're flying the realistic pennant for the journey to Port Royale, then you get to watch the video in which you fly the same pennant.

And so, having stuck his flag to Anamaria's boat, Captain Jack Sparrow sets sail from Tortuga:
jollymon_tortuga.jpg

It's going into the next update, while anyone who wants to try it out right now can download the attached file.

Attachments

• Jolly_Mon.zip
    611.4 KB · Views: 151
Back