• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

US users of PA: read this!

Stallion

Sea Dog
Public Relations
This is something unimaginably bad the US Congress has intentions of sneaking through under the public's eyes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-segal/stop-the-internet-blackli_b_739836.html .

Welcome to the New World Order, folks. The last bastion of (sometimes) free speech is about to be yanked out from under all Americans! This may look like it only targets those who file share and take part in what are truly illegal activities, but be warned! All is not as it seems!

*climbs down from soapbox*

Yeah, I have been reading about this crap! I was just to damn depressed to post about it. This is all being paid for by big name entertainment company's, and they are buying votes left and right, and not even trying to hide the fact. This country has been heading straight to hell for a while now, and Obama is doing his best to get us there as fast as possible!

Not to pile on here, but since you guys are talking doom and gloom anyway, have you seen this???

I understand why, but it scares me. How far will they go?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/government_programs/july-dec10/wiretap_09-27.html

Whatever your politics are, (I'm a little right of center) you can't blame the big-O for everything. He can't be in charge of, or pay attention to everything. It's just too big/ too much, and he has to trust those below him to make good decisions. Many of those folks have been in govt since big-O was in diapers and they need to die or retire. I personally believe that responsibility sits more with a very inefficient Government model(the ship of state). A bad ship design will sink in a storm. Lets hope that the good guys can bail her to keep her from sinking and redesign and rebuild her before we get marooned or eaten by sharks.

MK

** Sigh **

Doom and gloom

yet everybody forgets the concept of "unconstitutional"

Banning sites without reason would result in Supreme Court decisions . . .

and this could be in place to force such a decision

And you thought Miranda was just a mixed drink.

MK, I don't blame Obama for everything, I blame almost every politician who has been elected or appointed to a national office over the past 25 years or so in the US. Although you could probably go back a lot farther than that for the actual start of America's decline. Obama, and all the people behind him, have just done there best the past two years to make sure we get there as fast as possible. Bush did the same before him. In short, I blame all politicians in general. All they are interested in anymore is getting what they can for themselves while they can, for as long as they can. I am not saying there haven't been a few good ones here and there, there are some who actually still believe in America and it's founding principles, but those are a very rare breed anymore mate. They have forgotten that they are supposed to be working for the American people, instead, they are working for the mega-corporations and lobbyists who flash the most money in front of them!

The original founding principals of the US constitution are just as strong and relevant today as they were 250 years ago, they have just been chipped away and added to and changed so much over the past few decades, that the current form of government bears very little resemblance to the original form.

Thagarr, I'm totally with ye Brother! :yes

I've seen too much of it first hand working inside for 22 years. I'm actually writing a book....won't be published until I'm safely retired in a couple more years. :sail

You said it. Corporations and lobbyists are the problem. We have more millionaires than anytime in our history. The propaganda is that if we raise the taxes on energy and rich that we will lose jobs. The real thruth is that folks will hire the amount of people it takes to keep business moving and to maximize their tax breaks. In recent years, energy companies have seen their highest profits in history. Exxon's quarterly profits alone were greater than the GNPs of many countries.

I don't like paying taxes, no one does, but I know it's my civic duty and goes to the running of the country (if you can call it that). I have friends in Europe that pay over 50 and even 60 percent of their incomes in tax. I say in these times everyone needs to do their part including companies and fat cats, and everyone needs to hold government more accountable.

When Eisenhower said beware the military industrial complex, he wasn't kidding. I see the far right complaining so much about the poor getting welfare, but the worst form of welfare I've seen is the do nothings that steal oxygen all around me and get six figure annual welfare checks for their trouble. The handouts to big companies is even worse with no serious oversight or liability. Even worse, no repurcussions for the knuckleheads in government management overseeing the programs the big companies are under contract to deliver - that continually produce little or nothing year after year. Senior leadership rotate in and out like musical chairs on to their next job or retirement and never get the time or chance to see the ugly underbelly in detail of what they're actually in charge of.

One good thing about this economy is that we are about to start looking at things with a microscope as far as spending goes. This means tons of fat will get cut and the guys that actually deliver serious value will compete all that harder to stay there.

@ Rupert, I'm no nancy boy, but I'd love to see more silk stockings, wigs and hemp (in it's rope form of course) in vogue again. :cheers

MK

Well.....If I could pick someone historical or from fiction or a combination, here's my pick:

- General Maximus (Russell Crowe in Gladiator)

- Bertrand du Gueslin

- Johan De Witt

- William Pitt the Younger

- Benjamin Franklin

- Darth Vader: "I'm here to put you BACK on schedule"

But since they're all dead or don't exist.....

And...I'm limitted to modern times, I'd like to see a well educated unknown with a good conscience, fair mind, and huge balls o steel. But it will never happen because our system only allows those with lots of money to run....and if they don't have lots of money they're beholding to someone that does.

I would seriously vote for Colin Powell if he would run, but I don't think he wants anything to do with it. He knows how things work and how difficult it would be to actually change things. Serious change will involve huge dramatic pain. I'm talking massive reorganization, mass firings, and big changes in how they deal with lobbyists and special interest. BUT, it would need to be done smartly and with thought....not like the mob mentality in the Tea Party is suggesting. Tea Party screams the sky is falling and everything's broken, but they don't actually have any solutions.

I guess I'd pick DOG THE BOUNTY HUNTER :rolleyes: :woot :doff

MK

Very similar to Australia in that many voters now really don't care for the major parties, the problem with our last election is many turned to the looney left.

I think one day there will be a bunch of people who will just buy and island and start a new country.

the problem with our last election is many turned to the looney left.
Because of a cross dresser who dressed in black & white . . .

and was 'named' "Nun of the Above"

California passed a law that all candidates must run under their real names.

California has obviously lost its sense of irony

Back