• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Various Side Quest Fixes

Reason 1 is that you need to be at peace with France, which in most storylines I play, I'm not. Technically that's not a requirement for "Smuggling" but it is a requirement for "Cargo for Thomas O'Reily", which is a requirement for "Smuggling".
Allowing that quest even if you're hostile to France would be a simple change to make.
Any reasons why that might not be a good idea?

Reason 2 is that it's so tempting to help Turpin Cabanel bust the smugglers, which breaks "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily". Hostile or not, Martinique is a nice place to visit early in a game, with several side quests which can be completed on the spot and a couple of longer ones which start there. And 5000 gold early in the game when 5000 means something is more useful than whatever Thomas O'Reily pays later on when 5000 is loose change.
Why does that quest break the Thomas O'Reily one?
If possible, it would be nice if that could all work without breaking the extra quest.

As for smuggling in general, I've just never been all that interested in it. So for me personally the new system is at worst an extra inconvenience, at best to be ignored entirely. Other people like smuggling and presumably enjoy the new system, which is fine! That's the nice thing about this game, anyone can play it whichever way they like. :)
Not being all that interested is fair enough.
But please explain where the "extra inconvenience" comes in, because I really don't know. o_O

Well, I just wanted to point out, that I now have finished all side-quests, so I'm good with everything that has been fixed over the couple of days :)

Thanks!

Well, I just wanted to point out, that I now have finished all side-quests, so I'm good with everything that has been fixed over the couple of days :)
Good to hear!

I've moved it to the Bug Tracker, because I think there were some console fixes mentioned here that I still need to add to my game.
Some other time.... So I'm using this as a reminder. ;)

Allowing that quest even if you're hostile to France would be a simple change to make.
Any reasons why that might not be a good idea?
I can't think of one. Getting into St. Pierre is your problem, not Thomas O'Reily's.

Why does that quest break the Thomas O'Reily one?
If possible, it would be nice if that could all work without breaking the extra quest.
I'm not sure if Raoul Calmes, the man you report to Turpin Cabanel, is involved with the quest. Anyway, if you've just broken the smuggling ring then there's presumably nobody for Thomas O'Reily to smuggle to. As I recall, you were in favour of player actions having consequences, this is one of them - if you help break up the smugglers then you can't do a quest to the smugglers. xD Or there are still smugglers there but they know you worked for Turpin Cabanel and won't trust you. (I'm not sure what happens if you try to do them the other way round - smuggle for Thomas O'Reily and then help Turpin Cabanel.)

Not being all that interested is fair enough.
But please explain where the "extra inconvenience" comes in, because I really don't know. o_O
I did say "at worst an extra inconvenience, at best to be ignored entirely". If you talk to the smuggler, he says you need to do stuff to get the patrol schedule, which I took to imply that it was compulsory. But you've told me it's not. So either I ignore the new material entirely or smuggling is longer and more inconvenient.

I can't think of one. Getting into St. Pierre is your problem, not Thomas O'Reily's.
Thanks! That's what I figured. :doff

I'm not sure if Raoul Calmes, the man you report to Turpin Cabanel, is involved with the quest. Anyway, if you've just broken the smuggling ring then there's presumably nobody for Thomas O'Reily to smuggle to. As I recall, you were in favour of player actions having consequences, this is one of them - if you help break up the smugglers then you can't do a quest to the smugglers. xD Or there are still smugglers there but they know you worked for Turpin Cabanel and won't trust you. (I'm not sure what happens if you try to do them the other way round - smuggle for Thomas O'Reily and then help Turpin Cabanel.)
True point. One thought would be to put a "timer" on it, so that after a while smuggling eventually returns and you can do the quest after all.
On the other hand, NOT being able to do everything in the same play-through is also fine by me.
Actions should indeed have consequences. :yes

I did say "at worst an extra inconvenience, at best to be ignored entirely". If you talk to the smuggler, he says you need to do stuff to get the patrol schedule, which I took to imply that it was compulsory. But you've told me it's not. So either I ignore the new material entirely or smuggling is longer and more inconvenient.
The smuggler does tell you to do stuff, but that isn't mandatory.
You can immediately talk to the smuggler again and tell him to proceed and not worry about it (or something to that effect).
So then the only extra inconvenience is that you have to talk twice instead of once.
In return, you get the chance to be able to put in a bit more effort to decrease your chances of being caught, if you choose to do so.
A bit less convenient then, perhaps. But by a negligible amount.

Yep, I don't think that would be a problem at all; just get on shore somewhere, run to the town and speak to him. Should work (as it has in other quests).

Man, that makes so much sense!
It's true, I did do the this quest beforehand: Opium Smuggling - A Smugglers Life for Me | PiratesAhoy!
And I guess that is against smugglers; opium ones in particular...

So yeah, it probably makes sense not to be able to work for smugglers afterwards, but I'm a completionist and I can't stand not doing all quests there are :D
Maybe it would work the other way around as you mentioned though... might be a good idea to mention this in the walkthroughs, as I worked with them... (as will do others)
BUT: I did pay the smugglers guild as they asked of me, so that actually should make it possible to not only sell to them, but also make the Reily quest!

Of course if you can't complete something on one play through in consequence of your actions, you can always do so next time.
There are plenty other storylines plus Free Play available and the sidequests are available in almost all of them.

Back