• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Video Conferences

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
When we tried to take PiratesAhoy! to the next level in the Hearts of Oak days, we held regular video conferences with a group of members.
I believe that was a great help to keep ourselves on the same page; and to get balls rolling and keep them rolling.
In other words: I believe this is something worth bringing back.

It is my intention to really start reorganising our forum structure, our membership AND our online presence.
This is going to require help and some real dedication from multiple people.
So: WHO WANTS IN?

And what kind of tool should we use to talk to each other properly?
Back in the days we used Skype; but that might be a bit old-fasioned by now.
Other options these days:
- BlueJeans (I use this for work)
- Starleaf (supposedly good at privacy)
- Zoom (can this be used for free)
- Discord (we already have a community server there anyway)

Am I forgetting anything?
Anyone got any pros/cons to mention?
Most important criterium that I see is for as many people as possible to be willing to use the same tool.
If we are to get organised at all, we really are going to need one main centre for primary communication.
If not, it's going to break my brain keeping track of all the separate elements scattered all over.

So pretty please...
Responses...? :rolleyes:

Discord seems like the easiest to get into, as we already have quite a few active users there.

Discord seems like the easiest to get into, as we already have quite a few active users there.
That does seem like the obvious candidate.

But will we be able to convince, say, @Grey Roger and/or @Jack Rackham to join in?
It doesn't seem to make sense to me to leave them out of the big things that I'm hoping to put on the table...

Also, WHO ELSE would be up for a video meeting on Discord one of these days?
Probably won't be immediately; but maybe in a few weeks or so?
There's still all sorts of preparatory forum posting that we could be doing in advance...

But will we be able to convince, say, @Grey Roger and/or @Jack Rackham to join in?
It doesn't seem to make sense to me to leave them out of the big things that I'm hoping to put on the table...
Maybe, maybe not. They have to want to participate in such an event. So @Grey Roger and @Jack Rackham, would you be interested in this?
For now Discord seems like the most widely used option, and thus the most logical option.
But if anyone has a different idea then feel free to share it. Perhaps it will be better than what we have now.

Maybe, though for now I have only used it for education and have had mixed feelings.
I probably am behind on this, but don't you need to be a part of an organisation to use it? Unless if it is free and for everyone.
Also is it better than Skype which is also owned by MS?

Skype is quite old.
It is also updated though. Still I don't really like it either. Especially if you want to use it from your phone, where the app basically doesn't work for me.

Teams and free for all for 1 or 2 months. When there are them the first version of the new windows (11).
Well 1 to 2 months means we will have to pay after that.
As for it being with W11 I guess it is a bonus, less programs to install. Though I have no idea how many people are, or will use W11.
I for example will probably wait a bit before switching, and even then I can't officially install W11 on my desktop. But I can on my laptop, in theory at least.
@Pieter Boelen probably can't install it anywhere. I am getting off track though, W11 is not needed.
The problem I see is it being a trial.

You can plan meetings well in advance which is not the case on discord.
True. Though for the small number of people we are here I am not sure how big of a difference it would make.
We could probably just plan it ourselves, announce it, and manually start the meeting without much hassle.
Or maybe there are bots available for this on Discord?

Ah I got you now. No problem, happens to everyone from time to time.
It may be an option worth considering then.
I wonder what other people think about it.

We can try and help you here, happy to hear you will be joining.
Do you have the link for the PA! Discord server?

Bringing back video conferences sounds like a solid plan to get everyone on the same page. It's a great way to keep things rolling smoothly. As for the tool, you've got some cool options there. Discord seems pretty user-friendly, and a lot of communities use it these days. Zoom can be used for free, but there are some limitations. BlueJeans and Starleaf also have their perks, especially if privacy is a concern. One thing I came across during my browsing is MightyCall. It's not exactly for video conferences, but it could be handy for other communication needs. You can check it out at this link: www.mightycall.com if you're interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: fjx
Bringing back video conferences sounds like a solid plan to get everyone on the same page. It's a great way to keep things rolling smoothly. As for the tool, you've got some cool options there. Discord seems pretty user-friendly, and a lot of communities use it these days.
If you haven't already, join us on our discord! We are much more active over there these days and our community is experiencing quite the growth :)

If you haven't already, join us on our discord! We are much more active over there these days and our community is experiencing quite the growth :)
That said, we could this year decide to set up the occasional periodic conference on there...

I suspect the account of being a bot. Something with the same name has posted similarly semi-appropriate messages on several other forums.

Back