• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

"Walk the plank" Mod?

Aye,'ats been talked about before,and I'd be lik'n 'at idear,it be a good way tew rid yerself of some o' those useless officer's an de odd Govern'r :p: :p:

Requires adding a new location with both a plank _and_ a collision mesh to allow falling off of said plank.
But a good idea all the same!

"Walking the plank" is not exactly historically correct - it was extremely rare - David Cordingly, in his excellent book "Under the Black Flag", states cites only one documented case of walking the plank:

"...It was reported in the Times of July 23, 1829 (so well after the end of the Golden Age) when the crew of the Dutch brig Vhan Fredericka were attacked in the Leeward passage by 30 pirates. The pirates began to loot the ship and when the crew protested they "were laughed at by the ruffians, who proceeded deliberately to compel the wretched men to what it termed 'walk the plank'" The men were bound and had shot tied to their feet. One man survived by revealing the whereabouts of some gold the brig was carrying..."

Otherwise, the act first appeared in a work of fiction called "The Pirates Own Book" which was written by Charles Ellms and published in 1840. Many, many books and movies followed Ellms' lead and it was written into pirate history as fact. It is now so commonly a part of pirate lore that it is included in most movies as a sign that you are, indeed, watching a "true" pirate movie. :p:

If you haven't read "Under the Black Flag" yet, you should if you are at all interested in piracy and pirates. It's fantastic. :p: :p:

i shall get in my newly detailed and fixed up mustang (thank god it wasnt totalled from that crash i told ye's about!) and go to barnes and nobles...or somewher's...does it really matter? lol harhar! i shall look into it! thankx cat, ye have great taste in literature, for i have heard bout this book bfor! :cheers I NEED IT! argh!

:cheers Argh!! Me wishes me even ~had~ a mustang... guess fer now I just have t' be content with me `70-foot` `square-rigged` brigantine... har, har!! ...and me subaru ...and me "heap" which I call da "heap" (even doh it be a toyota truck) since it's served near as long as da Russian Mir station.

Cordingly is the guy that is on the PotC DVD - they interview him about pirates? He's got several books out - "Under The Black Flag" is probably the best, but he's done so much research that it's amazing what he knows about pirates and piracy.

Nice to know your Mustang survived the crash and is back in action, CJS! :cheers :cheers

Back