• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Waterline help....

CaptainHepp

Landlubber
Hello Everyone!

I've been playing Age of Pirates off and on for years (since about the time AoP1 came out, I waited anxiously for AoP2!). I've also played Pirates of the Burning Sea quite a bit as well, and just about flipped over backwards to see some PoTBS models ported into, and working in AoP2 GoF 1.2. So I downloaded GoF 2.0 and started playing.

I got to around level 30 before I started toying with the coding again (I'd done this previously as well). At this point I discovered that several boats from GoF 1.2 that I was looking forward to had been left out of 2.0. Bummer. So I figured, I'll save myself some programming and borrow the assets from 1.2 and substitute the ships I wanted for a couple I didn't care for. So I went through that whole process (SoleilRoyal over the BattleManOWar, and SanFelipe over the normal ManOWar) and am overall fairly pleased with the results. The models show up, the Sailorpoints are subbed in, as are the interface pictures. I just have two problems:

Ships_init.c is giving me fits. It's not that editing it is especially difficult, even in Notepad. But I don't see my changes in-game. For example, the Soleil Royal only has 102 max guns. But in my file, it shows the correct 112. :nogood

Then for the San Felipe, the waterline is about one gun deck too high. Meaning that the main (lowest) deck is awash at and above the gunports. It doesn't take a genius to figure exactly what would happen to such a ship in real life.... but even in game the lower guns can't properly fire due to their submersion. I found and played with the waterline variable, but can't see any difference in game whatsoever. I can't find any syntax errors anywhere, even using Notepad++.

I've tried saving, then doing a full Reinit via the mods menu, and also fully exiting the game, saving the file, then rebooting the game. No Joy. :shrug

So what am I missing?

Thanks!

Ahoy CaptainHepp, welcome aboard mate!

Glad that you are enjoying our mods! Yeah, we have a couple of PoTBS moddelrs hanging around that have been quite invaluable to us, their work is simply awesome! I believe there were some issues with some of the ships not working properly with GOF, but I don't remember the whole story. Unfortunately, the way that CoAS is scripted is much different than POTC, it relies much more on DLL and other support files, some of which we never did learn to work with properly. You will probably have to look in several other files other than Ships_init_c.

I am not much of a modder, so I can't really be of to much help, but you might have a look through the /SEA_AI and /Quests files, and some of the various utils files too. Things are not always where you would expect them in CoAS! This is one reason we decided to concentrate our efforts working on a new engine and create our own game. The Storm engine is just really starting to show it's age.

Yes, those ships were left out of GOF2. GOF2 was a start over from scratch rebuild because GOF 1.2 had become unstable. We spent a lot of time testing each ship and making sure it was stable before putting it into GOF2. We never did get around to testing them all.

About your changes not showing up in game: You have to get rid of your ship and get a new one of that type to see the changes. I copied my GOF2 install and started a generic storyline, then went into the options and found a menu that allowed me to give myself $5,000,000 Dubloons. Then I would go to the shipyard and buy the ship and sail it around. Exit without saving. Make some changes. Start GOF2 and buy the ship. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Thank you both for your responses!

I used to mod Flight Simulator X (and every other generation before it!), but that was downright simple and easy by comparison! There are SO many interlocking files it's like working on a Unix cube or something... you change one thing in one spot then discover you also have to change it in SIX OTHER spots! Not sure Akella ever meant for these to be especially mod-able.

As for my process of procuring the new ship in question:
I've been using a modified F11 debug menu. For me to make a San Felipe buyable this early in my game I would have to do even more coding to change the chance percentages it will show up, etc. It wasn't all THAT important to me. It would be cool though, since I'm also a Burning Sea player still and I sail just about all the ships you guys ported over from there.

Hearts of Oak:
I was (and still am) very excited by what I see you guys doing. Long ago, I made a list of everything I wanted to see in a sailing game, and so far it looks like you guys are making exactly what I had in mind. Outstanding!
Obviously, I'm not too much of a modder anymore, but I would love to be involved in the creation of your new game. Even if all I do is testing for the engine or whatever. I've also done some 3d modeling using Gmax (a 3ds Max spin-off) and Blender, but that's been years. I'd have to re-learn everything.... which would be rather slow going. ;-)

Back