• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

We Have the Storm Engine!

Sad it takes news of this magnitude to pull a lurker such as myself out of seclusion but wow... What news! Congratulations and well done. If I were a beting man I wouldn't have backed this horse.

In terms of the engine dispute, what are the differences between the games in terms of specs? For instance, max texture size, draw distance, poly limits, AI differences, bump-mapping/normal mapping etc.

I wished I knew. :facepalm
Surely Storm 2.8 will be basically better and newer than Storm 2.0. :shrug

One thing I have noticed while looking at the directory and file structure, those are of course different, While CoAS still uses .c and .h and .sha files. It has a new file type with the vssver.scc. Not sure what those are, but it has one for each of the directory's in the \modules\techniques tree. They are pre-compiled files and can't be edited with just a text editor. The biggest of these is just a couple hundred bytes.

There are also a few .dat files, not sure what those are either, but by the file names, it looks to have something to do with the copy protection. These are of course pre-compiled too, and several meg is size. :rolleyes:

I am really curious to find out the actual spec deference's in the engine!

You think your bad as a luker.... im just as bad!!!

This is great news indeed.
So does this mean that my cannon effects could finally be augmented with actually "lighting up" the hull itself as the cannons do in AoP and CoAS?

Welcome back fellas :)

Just quick update to stop anyone guessing.

I have emailed Edward at Seaward regarding this and have not yet had any reply. I put this down to being Christmas and hopefully I'll hear back next week.

I also emailed again off to the PR at Akella and got an auto reply they they are off until the 11th of Jan so nothing until then at the very least...

Thanks for the update, Keith! :woot

This is great news indeed.
So does this mean that my cannon effects could finally be augmented with actually "lighting up" the hull itself as the cannons do in AoP and CoAS?
If everything goes the way we want it to, then yes. :doff

OK more updates......Akella have finally got back to me, they are talking with Edward of Seaward and hopefully in the next couple of days everything will be sorted out.

Thanks for the update Keith! :dance

Not sure many will remember me as I've been gone for so long. Long story, long stupid story... However I am hoping to be around here more often.

Wow Cat! So good to see you ! And how I miss the old times ...

Was just passing through, and of course the topic caught my eye. So I just wanted to say hi to you all and to Cat in particular. (Not making any promises to be around but I do stop by here once in a while ..)

:cheers

Wow talk about bringing legends back from dark caverns of their hideouts, first Cat now Inez Diaz :woot

Hey, Inez! What an unexpected pleasure to see you drop by again!
Be assured that we're always happy to see you and other old-timers make their way back here again.
Even if it's just for a little bit.

Greetings ladies and gents,

Although it’s been while since last time I posted here I never really stayed away for to long.

Regularly I visited and it must be said that every single time after a period of relatively long absence I’m amazed at the development you people have made and are planning to make in the future.

And now this, truly something else!

You should all view this as a token of respect, one that is well earned.

Bravo!

Guys I'm sorry to say, Akella are simply not returning my emails now.

I'm pretty disappointed at the level of unprofessionalism displayed on their behalf. From the last communication there was do doubt the ball was in their court and it was to be resolved with a week or 2 (this was a few days before my previous posting) Since then and despite my email to get further communication even to the point of asking, just to put an end to it, if it was not possible to get the storm engine, this too was ignored.

Svetlana (Akella) Jan 18th - Apologies about delay in feedback: we’ve been on Xmas vacations till the 10[sup]th[/sup] Jan, which has been followed by a short trip that I had to make. We are in touch with Edward on the point and hope to follow up with the news soon.

Cheers, mate. Of course we're still waiting for them to come through on their word.
We've got the promise, but not the files.

OK guys, Edward has finally got in touch with me and has asked what exactly we looking for. Now being a non programmer, I'd say "everything" but to look like I'm more articulate than i really am, could I get some more intelligent input ;)

Hello Keith.

I am sorry for your waiting. Now I ready to discuss about request. But first I want to understand exactly, what for you necessary CoAS engine.

Best regards,

Edward Zaitsev.

This is excellent news, I will send an email to Pieter telling him about whats going on and see what he says we need ;)

Great news Keith! Everything does sound a bit greedy, but that is what we are after. It's kind of tough to know exactly what we need when we don't know exactly what they have. :shrug

I am a non cocer too, but I think we would like to have the complete engine and the knowledge on how to compile and decompile the dll's to get them working. We don't know what to do with it yet, we really want to experiment with it.

In my opinion as we want to use it for POTC we really want source code for engine.exe and all .dll libraries for storm 2.0 and storm 2.8 (am I correct that it is 2.8 for COAS??)

this way we wont need to make any changes to existing code files to fit the engine we can make to engine fit the code files.
me.gif

check with Pieter but I think he will agree

thanks

Back