• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

We Have the Storm Engine!

Email sent to Pieter :yes

I do think that we want the source code for 2.8 as it is a better engine but the mod pack is on 2.0 so we might want them :shrug

Email sent to Pieter :yes

I do think that we want the source code for 2.8 as it is a better engine but the mod pack is on 2.0 so we might want them :shrug

Well I was thinking if we have the source code for both then we can literally swap bits we like about storm 2 into storm 2.8 to create storm 3!!

amazing!!!

thanks

First of all, I'd like to know engine maximu capabilityes, such as maximum polycounts in loaded at the same time (swords, locations, characters... all at the same time).

And something to support more eseast way of character modeling... If it is possible...

OK guys, Edward has finally got in touch with me and has asked what exactly we looking for. Now being a non programmer, I'd say "everything" but to look like I'm more articulate than i really am, could I get some more intelligent input ;)

Hello Keith.

I am sorry for your waiting. Now I ready to discuss about request. But first I want to understand exactly, what for you necessary CoAS engine.

Best regards,

Edward Zaitsev.

Not really any of my business but might this be just a misunderstanding? To me it sounds like he's asking what for (for what) precisely you (we) need the engine... :shrug

I have recieved a reply from Pieter :yes
Hello Cap'n,

What do we need in regards to the game engine?
If possible:
- Source code for ENGINE.exe and MODULES folder for Storm 2.8 engine (CoAS)
- Source code for ENGINE.exe and MODULES folder for Storm 2.0 engine (PotC)
- Any possible tools required to compile the source code back into EXE and DLL files

If possible, we could really use that PotC source code too, because:
1. It'll allow us to see the differences between Storm 2.0 and 2.8 and that'll help a lot with porting
2. We can move adjustments from Storm 2.8 into Storm 2.0

Kind regards,

Pieter Boelen

That's a very good point Inez, I think I may have been a bit hasty in reading it. I'll put Pieter's reply second but a explanation first in my reply.

OK guys, Edward has finally got in touch with me and has asked what exactly we looking for. Now being a non programmer, I'd say "everything" but to look like I'm more articulate than i really am, could I get some more intelligent input ;)

Hello Keith.

I am sorry for your waiting. Now I ready to discuss about request. But first I want to understand exactly, what for you necessary CoAS engine.

Best regards,

Edward Zaitsev.

Not really any of my business but might this be just a misunderstanding? To me it sounds like he's asking what for (for what) precisely you (we) need the engine... :shrug
That is how I read it (translated the writer's meaning) - Good catch Inez. :onya

Tody I got a PM from Eddy asking who Keith Wallace is.
I told him that he's our webmaster and has been in touch with Akella about the source code for us.
It seems the wheels are in motion. :onya

All good day.
Whether probably to download updating for Storm Engine? If it is possible, where it is possible to download?
Thanks.

All good day.
Whether probably to download updating for Storm Engine? If it is possible, where it is possible to download?
Thanks.

we dont have it just yet ,besides if we will well have to some how secure it from leakin out of the community ,so i dont think regural members will have access to it sry

Sorry Guys, been busy at work.

This just came in from Edward.

Hello Keith.

I am ready to give Storm engin. Non-distribution guarantees are necessary to me.

Best regards.

Does anyone here have an idea of how to handle this? While I think we will all try our best to make sure the engine does not get out into the wild, PA! will not take any responsibility if it does.

Thank you Keith! :bow 

That wonderful news! :woot :dance :will

Unfortunately I don't have any good idea right now. In case of tools from Akella we just put encrypted file with a password sent by PM but now it's much more serious. Even if we (hopefully) get access to engine source with a clear statement that PA! won't take responsibility for any "leak", such thing would completely "destroy" our contacts with Akella (and Seaward.ru as well)...

pirate_kk

I think in this case the only people who should get the access to it need to go through a progress of discussion. It wouldnt be good if we gave someone access to the source code only to have them disappear not knowing what they are doing.

We might even need to have a topic in the MOD/ADMIN section where we go through a process of who we think should have access and only the ones we really trust not to leak it.

I agree with kk in the fact that if it was leaked it would seriously hurt the relationship between PA!, Seaward.ru and Akella. Therefore we NEED to make sure it isnt leaked!

It's a matter of a great importance indeed, as for the way we should technically supervise it's keeping an it's access, special ftp? Password on an ftp folder? Encrypted archive?

Wow, such a short notice... Edward didn't even mention which Storm Engine he was going to give us?

I agree with what have been said previously. Indeed, we need a full topic in which we'll discuss who will be able to get it or not. Obviously, new members won't be able to get it. As for how to host it, where it'd be the most secure to store it, yeah. Good question. Maybe we could just host it for a short period of time, the time for all of our chosen modders to get it. By removing it after that, we'd be sure that any leak wouldn't come from PA!.

I guess, that all the moderators should be given the info how to attain it. And that only certain people (pirate_kk, Pieter) have actual access to the source code, so no one can just go about and do what ever they want with it.

This is what I said to Pirate_KK on the subject:

That's some seriously good news!

Of course I understand that non-distribution guarantees are important.
For the Akella tools, I basically just gave the password to anyone, since it wasn't too much of an important thing
and we really needed people to work with them and get the modeling going.
But the game's source files are a different thing altogether.

To ensure proper security for the files, firstly we can put a proper password protection on the archive.
As you say, the protection can be broken, but it's better than no protection.
Then we can put the file somewhere on the internet, but not freely distribute the link.
Alternatively, we could distribute the file through e-mail only.

One thing that we definitly do need to do is to only distribute it to seriously trusted members and nobody else.
That would, at the moment, probably by you, Captain Maggee and me and I'm not sure who else.
Maybe Hook, Maximus and Aconcagua when/if they become active again.
In any case only people who are
1. dedicated to the mod
and
2. have got proper coding knowledge (I don't, but I want them anyway! :razz )

I think if we can keep the "circle of trust" small, we should be good.
Anyone who wants to get his/her hands on the source code must first prove dedication and trustworthiness and knowledge of coding,
eg. we wouldn't give it to a newbie who says he's an experienced programmer, but we will give it to him once he's done some fixing for us
or made some good new mods or something.

Does this make sense to you?

Back