• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Weapon Value/Prices

Nethaeru

Powder Monkey
Storm Modder
Now..I haven't been playing this game for that long but when i started i noticed that the value of weapons is so high that it removes any sense of challenge in the early/mid(/maybe even late) game . Trading is kind of a waste of time since you make 10x the money by just running into a dungeon and selling all the weapons you retrieve from the enemies.

I already fixed it in my own game by lowering all weapon prices and now i find myself gambling, looking for valuables on the island, taking loans and (most importantly) trading in order to make any money, it really adds to the challenge and fun of the game (for me atleast;)).

I was kinda wondering how the rest of you feel about it or am i maybe just missing something here?

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts:D

More balancing is always welcome, of course.
Problem with making all weapons cheaper though is that they also become easier to get by purchasing them yourself.
I remember they were already rebalanced at least once before, but it seems we can never get quite the results we want. :facepalm

Wasn't the idea to set the prices high enough so that you could not just buy the better weapons early on? That was to make the early game harder.

In the late game weapons are cheap and one can net far more profit in a smuggling run than by selling captured weapons.

Of course the minlevel attribute can be used to prevent good weapons from showing up too early too.

So far i have never bought a weapon since all weapons can be obtained through combat, so making a weapon very pricy won't stop it from being unobtainable early on. and the difference between a 12/18 weapon and a 18/26 weapon is noticeable but won't make much of a difference in combat since you're practically invulnerable anyways (i play on adventurer, don't suppose the AI gets much smarter on swashbuckler.)

I understand that smuggling is a great way to obtain money in all stages of the game but it's also a risk since the coastguard can show up and pretty much end your game. Would be nice if dungeon delving had some form of risk to stop your from grinding.

You're invulnerable in combat? Hey Pieter, it sounds like the leveling is working now!

You have heard of Sir Lancelot I suppose. Some people call me Sir Diesalot. For me smuggling is safer than dungeon diving.

Ouch, ok :p
But wouldn't your ships be obliterated when smuggling in the early game? or are you able to escape?

I know how to escape! Remember a successful smuggler, by definition, does not get caught. :wp

it seems to me the margins on the weapons etc has to be change. so you still buy them for high prices but sell them for lower.

The most expensive thing about weapons is the cost of repairing the better blades. I always obtain them through combat or quests, so purchase price is irrelevant.

The difference in repair costs needs looking at with a very good sword being very cheap and a similar sword being very expensive.

I understood people also think the weapons get you to much money?

It may seem that way early in the game when money is hard to come by, but later in the game the money gained by collecting weapons in combat and selling them is chump change.

What is $20,000 in weapons compared to $800,000 profit from a smuggling run with no combat?

So if the margin between it be more dependable on the commerce skill in the begin the profit on weapons will be lower.
I will take a look at this when I have time.

Back