• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Guide What are some of the artifacts for?

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
I know some of the Native artifacts can boost your stats. But some of them don't seem to do anything, but descriptions are hinting they may be of some use. Do they have any special uses? The list are as follow:

1. crystal skulls. White, Red etc. Is there any use for them? Maybe trade them with Natives for items?
2. Pyrite Crystals. Have enough then one can learn the secret of iron? Not sure what that means?
3. Chrysoberyl: Something about 2 stone protect from ghosts. Not sure what that means?

1. crystal skulls. White, Red etc. Is there any use for them? Maybe trade them with Natives for items?
I remember those to be quest items. If you're not on a quest and randomly find them, I suggest you keep them somewhere safe until you discover which quest you'd be needing them. :)
2. Pyrite Crystals. Have enough then one can learn the secret of iron? Not sure what that means?
Enough Pyrite Crystals can give you a boost in your skills. Iron=Cannons, I think. :cheeky
3. Chrysoberyl: Something about 2 stone protect from ghosts. Not sure what that means?
This one is even better. It'll improve two of your skills provided you have enough of it for the boosts to take effect so two I believe is what you said? :cheeky

There is a maximum of 4 point increase per skill using items and of course the 10 max overall - maybe you already have other items giving you those limits?

Actually now the game is much more stable I might think about revisiting the monks to make their contribution beyond that limit in some fashion (and thus extend their usefulness in the game). I doubt anyone bothers with them these days.

There is a maximum of 4 point increase per skill using items and of course the 10 max overall - maybe you already have other items giving you those limits?

Actually now the game is much more stable I might think about revisiting the monks to make their contribution beyond that limit in some fashion (and thus extend their usefulness in the game). I doubt anyone bothers with them these days.
Please do. :bow

crystal skulls. White, Red etc. Is there any use for them? Maybe trade them with Natives for items?
If I recall, those served no real purpose for the longest of times.
Until @Grey Roger worked them into a sidequest of his quite recently.

As for those other two, could be they only give skill bonuses on Arcade Game Mode.
Or they still do but it's a hidden effect on Realistic.
Check iniItems.c to be certain.

They're certainly don't have a specific quest use.

Ah! The No Save ones?
I do generally like that idea.
Even if I'd probably never use it.
I like my Save buttons. :cheeky

If I recall, those served no real purpose for the longest of times.
Until @Grey Roger worked them into a sidequest of his quite recently.
The "Crystal Skull" sidequest sends you to look for a different skull which you will not find anywhere else. (The character who sends you on the quest can also sell you the three regular skulls.)

As for those other two, could be they only give skill bonuses on Arcade Game Mode.
Or they still do but it's a hidden effect on Realistic.
Check iniItems.c to be certain.
Three, not two - there's a blue one as well. "initItems.c" shows no bonuses for any of them.

Ah! The No Save ones?
I do generally like that idea.
Even if I'd probably never use it.
I like my Save buttons. :cheeky
Same here - not wanting to lose the ability to save game, I avoid the monks entirely.

The "Crystal Skull" sidequest sends you to look for a different skull which you will not find anywhere else. (The character who sends you on the quest can also sell you the three regular skulls.)
So, basically...

Three, not two - there's a blue one as well. "initItems.c" shows no bonuses for any of them.
Those items still serve zero purpose?
Other than general "loot=money"?

Quite a bit of money, especially the rare blue skull. But indeed the rose, white and blue skulls serve no purpose except to sell for money.

Quite a bit of money, especially the rare blue skull. But indeed the rose, white and blue skulls serve no purpose except to sell for money.
Hmm... Bit of a shame.
But at least their descriptions don't suggest any special use; do they?

For those other ones that @smrtwhkd, perhaps their description should be made less interesting?
So players wouldn't think there's some special use for them; when in reality, there isn't?

Hmm... Bit of a shame.
But at least their descriptions don't suggest any special use; do they?

For those other ones that @smrtwhkd, perhaps their description should be made less interesting?
So players wouldn't think there's some special use for them; when in reality, there isn't?
Perhaps we could do up a quick scenario that if you get all three and place them on their respective pedestals in the order blue-white-red, you become the new monarch of France? :bonaparte

Never mind, that is a ridiculous idea, even for me. Expensive paperweights, then. :p

Perhaps we could do up a quick scenario that if you get all three and place them on their respective pedestals in the order blue-white-red, you become the new monarch of France? :bonaparte
And then get your head chopped off because the tricolour is the flag of post-revolution France. :facepalm

Never mind, that is a ridiculous idea, even for me. Expensive paperweights, then. :p
Thanks for the good laugh!
:rofl :rofl :rofl

Actually, that sounds like something perhaps @Jack Rackham might even be able to pull off!
It's a bit puzzle-logic-ey, isn't it?

And then get your head chopped off because the tricolour is the flag of post-revolution France. :facepalm
Well... Just limit it to a big-band performance of "La Marseillaise" then. :razz

Incidentally, fire up "TX Convertor" and have a look at "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\items7.tga.tx". That's where the interface pictures for the normal red, white and blue skulls are located.

Now look at "items12.tga.tx". You thought there were only three of them, did you? :D

A few years back, I decided to take a break from playing a perpetually drunken pirate at a few different Renaissance faires and tried my hand at playing the 10th Doctor. It was a ton of fun (I positively LOVE the overcoat and still wear it whenever I can), but the most awkwardly delightful unrehearsed moment came when I was at the Tennessee Renaissance Faire and tried to sneak past Her Majesty, Liz the 1st. She loudly announced, "And I see my wayward travelling husband is here!" I slowly turned, gave a small wave and answered, "Oh! Um, well, hello [hard swallow] Sweetie." :oops:

Full disclosure, I'd be over the moon if Jodie Whittaker's Doctor showed up on my front lawn!

tried my hand at playing the 10th Doctor
Fantastic!

What???? That doesn't sound right.

Bloody brilliant then.

How's that?

I do love me some David Tennant!
Still hoping he'll show up for a cameo again one day.
Or Matt Smith.
Or Peter Capaldi.

Bugger... They were ALL so, so good!

It was a ton of fun (I positively LOVE the overcoat and still wear it whenever I can), but the most awkwardly delightful unrehearsed moment came when I was at the Tennessee Renaissance Faire and tried to sneak past Her Majesty, Liz the 1st. She loudly announced, "And I see my wayward travelling husband is here!" I slowly turned, gave a small wave and answered, "Oh! Um, well, hello [hard swallow] Sweetie."
Awesome experience, it sounds like!
Quite the switched-on Lady Elizabeth then too. :cheeky

Full disclosure, I'd be over the moon if Jodie Whittaker's Doctor showed up on my front lawn!
She's cool too.
I like her.

She's actually from the same town as some friends of ours in the UK.
If I recall correctly, she used to live across the street from them.
Back when, of course, she wasn't quite famous yet. :razz

Tampa, Florida's Bay Area Renaissance Festival (yes, lovingly known as BARF) was another fun Time Lord excursion. The Royals for this faire are Catherine Parr and Henry VIII. I strolled in, greeted the king, and held up my left hand.
"Please watch what my hand does, your Majesty." I then used the sonic screwdriver to examine his legs.
"It's not doing anything," he replied.
"And that's why you're the king! Nothing gets past you, does it? Here. Take this. It's called a lollipop. Enjoy."
I went to the Queen, who was trying desperately not to laugh.
"What month and year is it?" I asked quietly.
"December 1546."
"That gammy leg of his... My Liege! Yes, Henry, you. Take the paper off the lollipop first. I should have mentioned it." Turning back to the Queen, "Well, you've got a busy new year ahead of you." I pointed to a member of the Court. "That's Thomas Seymour, yes?"
"Yes, but how do you know--"
"Let's just say I skipped ahead. I know you fancy him, but mind the tickle games with young Elizabeth. Where I come from, that's bloody creepy. Best of luck. Ooh, I smell chips!"

Back