• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What if....POTC without Disney...

Officerpuppy

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
What would POTC had looked liked hadint Disney bought the rights etc?
What would of been the actuall storyline, much different from the POTC perhaps? Same but without the Black Pearl maybe.

More features? Playable Danille of course, would she of had her own `mini-storyline`?

Blood?

How would the game of ended? Game ends at temple? Or perhaps went a tiny bit further?

officer you read the interview i had with akella, they dont go into much detail but they do talk a bit about what was planned for it. check the main site out for the link if you havnt seen it yet

Here are some links showing what Sea Dogs II should have been. Bethesda is just as responsible for turning POTC into the watered down, sanitized, Disneyfied game it was when it was released. I have posted way to many ranting topics about this so I'll just leave you with a look at what might have been xD::

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/seadogs2/news.html

sig_rat.gif

Bethesda_Sold_out.gif

xD:: :?: i hate disney...you know, the only movie i like of disney is POTC, and this has been ALWAYS, even BEFORE i learned about them taking over Sea Dogs 2...makes me hate them more :cheers

Personally I find the `anti-Disney`, `anti-Bethesda` `carry-on` to be rather childish.

I don't agree with some of Disney's methods (especially the way they are buying up a lot of Asian films, butchering them and denying people the original, uncut versions), but it's all just business.

As a "`for-profit`" business, when you see an opportunity, you take it. Besides, Akella is coming out with their new project soon, and you've enjoyed your time playing PotC (I know I have anyway). Sure it could have been better, but it's hardly important in life; just a bit of fun. If anything, fixing up the game and adding new features has been a lot of fun for many people, and it's also fun anticipating those mods.

As far as Bethesda is concerned, I have played and enjoyed a lot of games associated with them: The Elder Scrolls series (including `spin-offs` and `add-ons`), the System Shock games, and the Terminator games. They were well worth the purchase compared to a lot of other games on the market at the time.

You can rarely blame a company for acting in a manner that will take advantage of consumer trends. Forcing the early release of the PotC game (with the name change and all) to coincide with the movie was a smart move. There are a lot of people who will buy this game because they liked the movie. That’s not Disney’s fault, they are just relying on the predictability of stupid people.

Can any of you guess how many sales would have been achieved if they were to rely only on the fans of the Seadogs (and a few newcomers), compared to how many they got by hooking people in with such a great movie (plus the Seadog fans)? It’s all about marketing to the common denominator. Loyalty to fans is rarely the best business decision, and making games is business.

Yeah...if you need proof of loyalty to consumers, just take a look at Battlefield Vietnam. Those of you who played the game no what I'm talkin about.. xD:

Sampow, I can't recall, did you ever play Redguard? I loved that game. And I know that the other Elder Scrolls adventures were very different. But was there one you could recommend to someone who loved Redguard? It was such a great game and I often wondered why they didn't go further with that concept of gameplay. I love the 3rd person viewpoint in games.

There was another Elder Scroll spinoff to do with mages, it was called Battlespire but it was 1st person and looks more like the mainstream Elder Scroll games.

Another game, nothing to do with the Elder scrolls but a hell of a lot of fun and came out a similar time to Redguard, was called "Die by the Sword" and that was quite unique. It was also 3rd person point of view. Using the mouse you actually had 100% control of what you wanted to do with your sword arm. Quite difficult at first, but you could cut off limbs etc based on you controlled swing of the sword and blocking wasn't a simple case of holding down the right mouse button. :? Actually Cat, I think you'd love that game based on the speech alone. The guy you controlled was quite a character xD: Yelling and screeming at goblins and whatever. :cheers

I agree with Sampow it's over and done with. All's well that ends well I guess and with the mods that we have and the ones that are in the works the game plays great and I have no regrets buying it. In fact I think it might have even brought Sea Dogs to the attention of new people that hadn't played it before. Akella is free to put a Sea Dogs II on the market sense the name was changed so I doubt anybody lost money on the whole deal. Although I too don't agree with the way Disney has always sanitized it's movies and products some of that is because of the society we live in. Anybody that has read the old original Grimms Fairytales knows exactly what I mean.

Can any of you guess how many sales would have been achieved if they were to rely only on the fans of the Seadogs (and a few newcomers), compared to how many they got by hooking people in with such a great movie (plus the Seadog fans)?  

maybe ur right about that...disney was helpful for that, but still screwed up the game, so i dislike them still

<!--`QuoteBegin-sampow`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sampow)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Die by the Sword"[/quote]

Wow, sounds fun, I should look for that. THANKS! :p: :p:

When I have time (later this week) I'll `re-install` it and give t a second glance (it's been years since I last played it) and let you know if the graphics etc are still tolerable (before you waste any money on it). :p:

<!--`QuoteBegin-KevO44`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevO44)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah...if you need proof of loyalty to consumers, just take a look at Battlefield Vietnam. Those of you who played the game no what I'm talkin about.. :p:[/quote]

KevO, me matey, what does ye be meanin'? :? Fred Bob be totally confused by yer cryptic statement! :p: Fer dose o'us dat hain't played BFV, please speak plainly an tell us what ye be meanin'! :no Be BFV good or bad in yer opinion? An' how does dat demonstrate customer loyalty or lack thereof? :?

I aint played BFV but it meant to be good and is added to my list of games when i have some money lol! the list is getting bigger and bigger :p:

<!--`QuoteBegin-Fred_Bob`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fred_Bob)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--`QuoteBegin-KevO44`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevO44)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah...if you need proof of loyalty to consumers, just take a look at Battlefield Vietnam. Those of you who played the game no what I'm talkin about.. :p:[/quote]

KevO, me matey, what does ye be meanin'? :? Fred Bob be totally confused by yer cryptic statement! :p: Fer dose o'us dat hain't played BFV, please speak plainly an tell us what ye be meanin'! :no Be BFV good or bad in yer opinion? An' how does dat demonstrate customer loyalty or lack thereof? :?[/quote]

No its not that. BFV is a good game, it just has some bugs that need to be addressed...and everyone expected a patch to be released in about another week. Turns out EA is probably not going to release one for a couple of months. :(

DICE is probably taking a long break while dreaming about what a great job they have done on BFV.
turns out the new and cheap vegetation rendering technique isnt so great, coz at long range u cant see them.
DICE cheated on us, instead of a new engine they just modified the old one. ;)

I dont mind that disney pays akela well ....... but just hoped that akela could have used the money to finish and perhaps make a better sd2 ......
:gday

Well, they are working on a new pirate title, JSJ - it's in the "infancy" stages, but looks like it will be what SeaDogsII should have been! 8) :cheers

Back