• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion What is the Point of Boarding

Ralof45

Landlubber
So whenever I fight an enemy ship I never board it, because it seems unecessary. I find that pounding the ship with round shot until the enemy surrenders is a way more effective way of winning a battle. If you do this you only have to fight the enemy Captain (When he dosen't just surrender aswell).

While if you board it you have to face the enemy's crew and risk losing members of your own crew and even your bodyguards.

You might say that if you just pepper the enemy with grapeshot you don't damage the ship (In case you want to capture it) and you will fight less of their crew because they are all dead, but most of the time the enemy strikes their colours before the ship is damaged enough to not turn a profit. (I do play on Sea Dog difficulty).

So yeah basically what is the point of boarding? (Besides fulfilling your taste for blood)

Perhaps you're up against several enemy ships. If you wait until they all surrender, they might win the battle due to there being more of them. So you board the nearest one to get it out of the enemy's fleet and into yours.

Some ships might not surrender. Warships are significantly less likely to surrender than merchant ships. And some quest ships will never surrender, such as the Mefisto - if you want that ship for yourself, you have to board it.

Of course, you want to be prepared. Don't try any of this unless you and your officers have good melee skill, good swords and good armour. For preference, stock the weapons locker with good swords and armour too, then the crew will use it. Properly equipped and skilled, you have a good chance of boarding something significantly larger than your own ship, unless you're already in a 1st rate ship of the line - which you probably got by boarding.

I guess that does make sense, to be fair I never knew you could stash weapons for your crew so that probably explains my crew getting destroyed every boarding.

Back