• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help What makes enemy ships surrender?

Larry

Landlubber
Hello,

Can anyone explain (or point me to earlier thred) what makes enemy ships surrender or not to surrender?

I tried searching the forum, but found only vague remarks to reputation and leadership.

I have a reputation of good sailor and leadership is 100. Ships used to surrender earlier in the game, but not anymore.

I'm playing the regular game without added mods.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact mechanics. In earlier versions of the mod pack, there has been a switch for surrender chances. Since this is gone now, I stringly suspect this has been reworked.

If this is done with realism in mind, which is most likely, then there shall be several actions you can do to encourage a ship to surrender:
- immobilze it by firing chains into sails
- decimate crew with grapes
- generally have the superior ship
- perhaps how famous you are comes into account too

But anyway, to my experience, nothing of it will work guaranteed. So a ship may surrender, or it may not. Generally, when you want to take an enemy ship, you may hope for a surrender, but be prepared to board it. Surrendering is sort of icing on the cake. :dance

Unfortunately, I don't know the exact mechanics. In earlier versions of the mod pack, there has been a switch for surrender chances. Since this is gone now, I stringly suspect this has been reworked.

If this is done with realism in mind, which is most likely, then there shall be several actions you can do to encourage a ship to surrender:
- immobilze it by firing chains into sails
- decimate crew with grapes
- generally have the superior ship
- perhaps how famous you are comes into account too

But anyway, to my experience, nothing of it will work guaranteed. So a ship may surrender, or it may not. Generally, when you want to take an enemy ship, you may hope for a surrender, but be prepared to board it. Surrendering is sort of icing on the cake. :dance
OK, thanks for the fast reply mate.

No. There is in Internalsettings.h this:

#define SURR_GLOBAL_SCL 0.04 // FLOAT - Ships will surrender if damage or crew morale become critical
// 0.0 : Stock PotC, no surrenders
// 0.01 - 0.5 : The higher that value the faster ships surrender

Means that ships that loose a certain percentage of hull and crew will always surrender, if it is not set to 0.0. Regardless of whether the player is a baby or the god of war. And regradless of whether you shot them all over or the other participants did. Even if you don't fire even one ball, this will be the situation.

Later I think, when surrendered and the gun decks scene fights are skipped, the captain alone may challenge you to a duel or not depending on how formiddable you look.

Which game are we talking about here ?

I think Larry means Age of Pirates 2 - City of Abandoned ships. - without mods:)

The unmodded COAS does not have an Internalsettings.h file in the Program folder. :no

:drunk

I seem to remember Jonathan Aldridge doing extensive coding on this in AIShips or AISea or Sea....don't remember off the top of my head. I also remember a lot of tweaking happening. We found that after a certain rank/level that every ship surrendered. This was a bug in the original AOP1 unmodded game as well. So I think above level 35 or something...(don't remember) that surrendering stops working so that you can keep having fun fighting and taking ships. JA marked his changes well and even explains what he did with notations, so look for his initials and notations in the files I mentioned.

MK

Yeah, I mean AOP2 unmodded.

Now at level 48, and changing ships from battleship to smaller ie. brigs seems to have some effect.

Weird. Opponents wont surrender to 1100 crew, but they do to a 210 crew :rumgone

Back