• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What the heck is wrong with this GAME!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

malkuth

Landlubber
This game is ticking me off totally. How the hell do you stop rats from destroying Everything in you freaking hold? I'm trying to deliver weapons and the god dam little brats keep destroying my weapons.

This game is so freaking hard its totally annoying and not fun. I won't even get into how the game decided that It did not like the fact that I captured a Pirate ship. So it thru a storm at me and sunk it before I could even move my ship.

ERRR!!

This game has snuckto a new f**king low. What the HELL!

All my saves from last night ALL OF THEM. ARe ALL gone. GOne. 4 hours of f**king work where I finally got ahead in this CRAP game.. AND THEY ARE GONE.

TOTAL BULL DOODOOt. TOTAL.

Well I did a system restore. And lucky for me I installed East India Company last night after playing this game. ANd it seems to have worked. I have my last night saved games back.

But I think this company needs to look into what the hell is going on with the saves in this game. Game been out for some time in other countries and this sh*t should not be a problem now.

Well I did a system restore. And lucky for me I installed East India Company last night after playing this game. ANd it seems to have worked. I have my last night saved games back.

But I think this company needs to look into what the hell is going on with the saves in this game. Game been out for some time in other countries and this sh*t should not be a problem now.

Ah yes, seems like only hours ago I, too, was ranting. However, I can say this: to compile a list of things that would tick off any mortal would take more server space than this place could afford. I have finally beaten the COAS quest--and lemme tell you, you haven't seen annoying yet!--and am declaring VICTORY! It seems now the developers strategy to get me to quit is to starve out my ships! Oh, and while I was in teh CoaS, the bloody port office where I had stored: get this, the Flying Dutchman AND teh Sea WOlf, apparently decided to have a yard sale with my hard-earned SH*T! I was not pleased, but also not surprised. Now, with a clean conscience, I can toss this game into the can it so richly deserves and move on to something more....developed....:) Good luck! And thanks for those of you who made this remotely playable! Without this board and the playlogic board, it would not have even been possible. We might not agree on the baseline competence of the company that produced this or even the game's merits or lack thereof, but you guys who poured so much work into trying to figure it out anyway have my respect. That was not an easy feat.Bye!!!!

As you know the game is made from amateurs - fans of the prequels... So they know everything about those games and made it for themselves, not for retail sale. They just presumed everyone will know everything about those games exactly like they did so they tried to make it challenging... for themselves.

As you know the game is made from amateurs - fans of the prequels... So they know everything about those games and made it for themselves, not for retail sale. They just presumed everyone will know everything about those games exactly like they did so they tried to make it challenging... for themselves.

What he said. :onya ..............Ehh.......what did he say. :mm Oh well back to the bloody seas for another whupin'. :piratesahoy!

What he said. :onya ..............Ehh.......what did he say. :mm Oh well back to the bloody seas for another whupin'. :piratesahoy!

What do you mean? You didn't know the game is made from amateurs, not by Akella?

What do you mean? You didn't know the game is made from amateurs, not by Akella?

I had no idea! My game came with an actual price tag attached, something I don't associate with amateurism. This confuses me though: did Akella just buy the thing and resell it? I really had no idea. I thought people were just being metaphorical when they said it was developed by amateurs. Whoever made it should get themselves a nice lawyer or two and make sure they get an appropriate cut of the proceeds, because if there's a company out there buying undeveloped games and releasing them with no additional work, that's just messed up to the extreme.

The story is rather long...
Lots of years ago Akella did the first Pirates game. It used STORM engine and had ABSOLUTELY the same graphics. The game was good as sea battles but the story was too short and many peopel started to create MODS...
Several years later Akella started to make a sequel... but at this time Disney launched Pirates of the Caribbean movie so they bought the ownership of the unfinished game and forced Akella to make "something" called at the same way... I say "something" because it was clearly unfinished and rushed game... actually this wasn't a new game but a super MOD for the previous game:)
But at the same time Akella was to blame too - they decided to modernize the STORM engine... Obviously they didn't knew what my grandmother always was saying - "The best way to destroy something good is to try to make it better". Because the only result from the modifying the STORM engine was the game started to crash:-( Of course the graphics remained the same... Besides this game was actually complete mess - as I said it actually was big MOD of the original with some stupid changes in it...
Couple of years later Akella decided to re-release Pirates of the Caribbeas (under another name - forgot the name) as it should be released if there wasn't Disney intervention. But the things got worse... It was completely bugged release with almost no story... AND THERE CAME THE AMATEURS...
They were the russian fans from the www.seaward.ru. They made super MOD for the game which was much better then the original. So after seeing this Akella made an agreement with them to make for them the "next" game - and they made City of the Lost ships. And of course the game is nothing more then the next super MOD for the very first game - with the exception of course because of crashes due to Akella messing with the original (read stable) STORM engine.
The truth is this the best MOD for the game... it has several story lines and offers lot to do.
But modding of the mod of the mod of the mod of the mod of a game made more then 10 year ago is not an easy task. Besides crashes (due to the negligence of Akella) there are lots of small glitches and the main fault - which I wrote earlier - they know everything about the game and made the MOD challenging to them, not thinking at all about the retail sales and the potential complete newbie players.

Lots of years ago Akella did the first Pirates game. It used STORM engine and had ABSOLUTELY the same graphics.
You sure about that?

seadogs_screen003.jpg

AOP2COAS05.jpg

Well, slightly better:)

But I would prefer the old graphic if this is the condition to play without crashes. At some boarding the crashes are every few seconds. I sometimes don't loot the ship at all - just click to go to loot screen ASAP and praying...

those first graphics look a lot like the ones they use in PotC online

I think when the POTC appeared the engine was already somewhat modified.

As a matter of fact I didn't quite remember how exactly the graphic of the first Pirates game was but remember the sea looked great and the ships were very decent.

So were does "Sea Dogs" come in?

As far as crashes in AOP2, I have had VERY few, like one every thirty hours of game play. Maybe its my computer or that I have the newest edition of the game ver. 1.3.0, heck I don't know. The crashes I'm not complaining about but the other................. :modding

So were does "Sea Dogs" come in?

As far as crashes in AOP2, I have had VERY few, like one every thirty hours of game play. Maybe its my computer or that I have the newest edition of the game ver. 1.3.0, heck I don't know. The crashes I'm not complaining about but the other................. :modding

The crashes are not computer dependant but are cause from some internal problem in the game. Sometimes I play many hours wichout a crash and sometimes they are every few seconds. On the same computer of course. The worst is the crash samotimes happens during a save game. This can kill lots of playing:-(

Edit: Sea Dogs was the first game in the sequel.

As a matter of fact I didn't quite remember how exactly the graphic of the first Pirates game was but remember the sea looked great and the ships were very decent.

i sead POTCONLINE, you know, the game that disney made

The only real thing that REALLY bugged me was when I tried to play "Peter Blood" I used to get the "Blue Screen of Death" ( might as well be a crash ) ever 15 to 20 minutes of real time. I gave up on ole Pete.

This is the blue screen of death.

DeathScreen.jpg

i sead POTCONLINE, you know, the game that disney made

Disney don't make games - at least did not make neither POTC online not POTC.

Lots of years ago Akella did the first Pirates game. It used STORM engine and had ABSOLUTELY the same graphics. The game was good as sea battles but the story was too short and many peopel started to create MODS...
Several years later Akella started to make a sequel... but at this time Disney launched Pirates of the Caribbean movie so they bought the ownership of the unfinished game and forced Akella to make "something" called at the same way... I say "something" because it was clearly unfinished and rushed game... actually this wasn't a new game but a super MOD for the previous game:)
But at the same time Akella was to blame too - they decided to modernize the STORM engine... Obviously they didn't knew what my grandmother always was saying - "The best way to destroy something good is to try to make it better". Because the only result from the modifying the STORM engine was the game started to crash:-( Of course the graphics remained the same... Besides this game was actually complete mess - as I said it actually was big MOD of the original with some stupid changes in it...
Couple of years later Akella decided to re-release Pirates of the Caribbeas (under another name - forgot the name) as it should be released if there wasn't Disney intervention. But the things got worse... It was completely bugged release with almost no story... AND THERE CAME THE AMATEURS...
They were the russian fans from the www.seaward.ru. They made super MOD for the game which was much better then the original. So after seeing this Akella made an agreement with them to make for them the "next" game - and they made City of the Lost ships. And of course the game is nothing more then the next super MOD for the very first game - with the exception of course because of crashes due to Akella messing with the original (read stable) STORM engine.
The truth is this the best MOD for the game... it has several story lines and offers lot to do.
But modding of the mod of the mod of the mod of the mod of a game made more then 10 year ago is not an easy task. Besides crashes (due to the negligence of Akella) there are lots of small glitches and the main fault - which I wrote earlier - they know everything about the game and made the MOD challenging to them, not thinking at all about the retail sales and the potential complete newbie players.

Ha! this is funny, because it's close to what I said when I first got into the game about someone throwing something together around a cool wave engine. I remember the release of PotC and how bad it was when it came out. So in the end, the truth is that this is a game that actually needs a real developer. And that's not disresepctful to the mods who are certainly entitled to their hobby. But when commerce is involved, the music changes. I got seriously ripped on for saying that, btw. No biggie.

Apparently what's needed is really a good pirate game from a good developer and designer not named Sid Meier (the last Pirates game was awful. The first is still the best there's ever been).

I'd like to see someone buy that engine and put it into better hands with some healthy cash that can afford to test properly etc. Akella's obviously the culprit here, and playlogic is apparently simply leeching for fun and profit.

thanks for the response and the story.

The same group of fans and Akella some times ago started working on Pirates 4 (working title) but the work was frozen. Don't know the reason and if it is connected to possible weak sales of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back