• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Where to find PoTC now?

andrewtopguns

Landlubber
Hi all,

I have been having consistent waves of nostalgia hitting me every year for the past few years over this game. I had it when I was a kid on my Xbox but the disc got a scratch and I was never able to finish it. I have been looking repeatedly time and time again for the PC version of it and tried to buy it from GOG (after finding a link to it through the wiki page) but turns out it wasn't the russian version 'Sea Dogs' but the original Sea Dogs from 2000 that I immediately recognised was not the 2003 version I wanted.

I stumbled upon this website after finding references to the mod and really, really would appreciate any help.

I can't seem to find anywhere to purchase a PC version of it, does anyone know where I can find a legal version to buy? ... or ... my conscious is clean considering I purchased Sea Dogs 1,2, and 3 from GOG and that I have looked at every possible site legal site for a digital copy of the PC version so I am happy to accept the 'non-official' sites if that is allowed here.

Thanks in advance for any help, just an older kid trying to enjoy a game from his childhood.

Thanks

Welcome aboard! :cheers

The game unfortunately isn't available digitally through legal ways. Only way to buy it is to get a used copy.
As for "non-official" sites, it's not allowed on the forum.

Thanks for the quick response :ahoy

I managed to get a copy, this is now just a question if anyone has had trouble running it. When I start the game it opens the menu, I click "New Game", loading screen comes up for a moment and it crashes. Does it every time. Any ideas?

Since you have two GPUs there's a better solution for you.
Guide - Installing New Horizons for Laptops with two GPU's

And since this is also a guide on how to install New Horizons, I advise you to check it out if you want and haven't already.
If you pick the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline it's the same one as in the stock game. Only with new ships, side quests, a bigger map more like the real Caribbean, new gameplay features, etc.

I've been trying to get in contact with people involved to make the game officially available again, but no luck.

This message to UbiSoft Support (on Facebook Messenger) doesn't even get through at all:
Ahoy there! I am writing you in regards to a 2003 game that, according to my copy of the manual, you have the legal rights to. This game is obviously quite old and hardly available anymore; but there is also still a very definite demand for it. Therefore I was hoping to write/speak to someone on your end about this and see what kind of future, if any, might be feasible. Thank you for your kind consideration. I hope to hear from you soon. Best regards, Pieter Boelen

Then there was this with GOG.com:
Ahoy there!

I am writing you in regards to the 2003 "Pirates of the Caribbean" PC Game that, according to my copy of the manual, is legally owned by UbiSoft and was developed in collaboration with Bethesda Softworks and Disney.
Technically speaking, this game is also known as "Sea Dogs 2" in the same line of games that you already have available on your platform.

This game is obviously quite old and hardly available anymore; but there is also still a very definite demand for it.
Therefore I was hoping to be able to write/speak to someone on your end about this and see what kind of future, if any, might be feasible.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Pieter Boelen
Dear sir/madam,

This request does require your personal follow-up.
However, if you agree this is worth pursuing, me and my community would be very happy to support you in this whichever way we can.

For your additional information, the game I'm referring to is listed several times on your Wishlist:
Pirates of the Caribbean - GOG.com
Sea Dogs 2 - GOG.com
Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) (Sea Dogs 2) - GOG.com
Sea Dogs 2 Pirates of the Caribbean - GOG.com
Sea Dogs II\Корсары 2\Пираты Карибского моря - GOG.com
Pirates of the Caribbean 2003 ( Nathaniel Hawk ) - GOG.com
Pirates of the Caribbean 2003 Pc - GOG.com
Pirates of the Caribbean 2003 game - GOG.com
pirates of the caribbean (2003 version) - GOG.com
Pirates of Caribbean - GOG.com
Pirates of the Caribbean (video game) - GOG.com

As you can see, the demand is very real.
So in the meantime, I have made a first attempt at contacting the current rights-holders myself in the hope of easing the process of making this game more available again to the general public.

The current situation is that all those who want it are basically forced to pirate it and that does seem quite silly to me.
Even though, admittedly, it IS a pirate game, of course!

Best regards,

Pieter Boelen
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us.

I'm afraid that we can't comment on any upcoming deals and releases (or lack thereof), since this depends on many different factors.
However I'd like to assure you that we're doing everything possible to get our hands on the best content possible.

Kind regards,

Ross
GOG Customer Support
Dear St.Ross,

Thank you for your rapid response.
We understand you are doing the best you can and that is exactly the reason we are after a more definitive answer.

My community athttp://www.piratesahoy.net has created a major mod for this 2003 "Pirates of the Caribbean" PC game.
The independent PC Gamer article about our work has been met with overwhelmingly positive response:
This 17-year mod project makes the Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in game one of the best pirate sims around This 17-year mod project makes the Pirates of the Caribbean tie-in game one of the best pirate sims around | PC Gamer
The text itself even claims it is "the deepest colonial Caribbean simulator ever made", which is high praise indeed.

This makes it especially unfortunate that there are no legal ways in existence to find the base game.
Every person who is interested, we have to either disappoint or point towards the wrong kind of piracy.
This silly situation has lasted long enough by now and needs to be addressed one way or another.

If it were easy for GOG.com, this release would have happened a long time ago.
In other words: clearly it is not going to happen.
Not by itself.
This is why we offer our combined support to help you.

Please let us know if there is anything that we can do.
If there is nothing we can do, please at least let us know if it is on your "under active consideration" list or on the "tried and deemed too difficult/impossible" side.

We ask for no promises of success from your end.
We also ask for no set-in-stone release dates.

We do ask for clarification on the status for this specific game.
We also want to know if you wish to make any use of our active support.

If it is of any help, I have a hardcopy of the original game discs that I would be happy to send to you at my own expense.
The provided manual is in Dutch, but I can translate this to English for you too.

Best regards,

Pieter Boelen
PiratesAhoy!
I understand your desire to help, however there's nothing else we can add to what has already been stated.

I would recommend contacting the direct publishers of the game at this point if you have any additional questions or requests.

Best,

Ross
GOG Customer Support

And this to dimg.communications@disney.com (see Contact Us - The Walt Disney Company):
Ahoy there!

I am writing you in regards to the 2003 "Pirates of the Caribbean" game that, according to my copy of the manual, is legally owned by UbiSoft and was released in cooperation with Bethesda Softworks.

This game is obviously quite old and hardly available anymore; but there is also still a very definite demand for it, as well as an active player-base.

Therefore I was hoping to be able to write/speak to someone on your end about this and see what kind of future, if any, might be feasible for it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Best regards,

Pieter Boelen
Zero response.

Well you can do whatever you want, especially in this case. :shrug
It's just that sharing such links publicly is not allowed.

It's just that sharing such links publicly is not allowed.
Funny thing, but...
I'm having a quick look at our Notice - Welcome and Forum Rules! and...
I'm not seeing that rule.
Unless we file it under #6...

Does anyone else think our rules could do with an update?
They've gone pretty much unchanged for a good few years now.
And that "list of topics..." hasn't proven much of a problem in a good long while.
Maybe time has rendered those warnings superfluous.

Sorry for digging up this post - but I gotta say, it's really a shame that we can only find these kind of options.
For me, as I live on Brazil, buying anything with foreign currency is unthinkable. I hope someday I can actually buy the game again... (bought a copy years ago and have no idea where it might be nowadays)
Here's hoping it will. Have you contacted Akella?

Funny thing, but...
I'm having a quick look at our Notice - Welcome and Forum Rules! and...
I'm not seeing that rule.
Unless we file it under #6...
Our current rules only go to 5. ;)

Does anyone else think our rules could do with an update?
They've gone pretty much unchanged for a good few years now.
And that "list of topics..." hasn't proven much of a problem in a good long while.
Maybe time has rendered those warnings superfluous.
There is also the "Terms and Rules" link at the bottom right of any page of the forum:
Terms and rules
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.
(The emphasis is mine, not on the original page.)

Our current rules only go to 5. ;)
Of course it referred to rule #5 at the time of writing.

(The emphasis is mine, not on the original page.)
Does this link risk copyright infringement?
As far as I'm aware, "archive.org" has a perfectly good reputation.

Sorry for digging up this post - but I gotta say, it's really a shame that we can only find these kind of options.
For me, as I live on Brazil, buying anything with foreign currency is unthinkable. I hope someday I can actually buy the game again... (bought a copy years ago and have no idea where it might be nowadays)
Here's hoping it will. Have you contacted Akella?
I contacted GOG.com, but they could say nothing.
My message to UbiSoft seems to have never reached them.
I sent a message to the Disney games division, which I never heard back on.
I suggested a thing to someone at Steam; and also dropped a mention with the Valkyre Initiative (this is where former Akella hangs around now, based on my understanding).
So far, no useful responses from anyone.

Sorry, I didn't notice that some of the posts on this thread are from 2021. :oops:

So I was responding to the points that sharing links to the stock game isn't allowed, and that our rules don't seem to forbid it. The new "Welcome and Forum Rules" certainly don't prohibit copyright violation, but the "Terms and Rules" do. As to whether a link to "archive.org" counts as "risks copyright infringement", I'd guess probably not. Whether UbiSoft or Disney agree is another matter, but apparently they don't care anyway.

Does this link risk copyright infringement?
As far as I'm aware, "archive.org" has a perfectly good reputation.
This should probably be fine. There's no link for download or anything
I contacted GOG.com, but they could say nothing.
My message to UbiSoft seems to have never reached them.
I sent a message to the Disney games division, which I never heard back on.
I suggested a thing to someone at Steam; and also dropped a mention with the Valkyre Initiative (this is where former Akella hangs around now, based on my understanding).
So far, no useful responses from anyone.
It really is a shame. But as op stated in the post above, it's very nice that you tried, indeed. I tried doing something like this with Alpha Protcol, a hidden gem from Obsidian Entertainment. Nothing useful either. And to be honest, in moments like that I am grateful for those kind of websites.

Back