• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Where to get base game?

CapnSunk

Sailor Apprentice
I remember this mod from when the game released, and previously with Sea Dogs which I loved. I couldn't believe this mod is still being developed and want to give a play through for nostalgia.

Unfortunately I threw out all my old PC game boxes years ago, where can I get this game now days? Is it possibly available as a digital download?

My best guess would be Amazon or Ebay.
That's where I got my copy from.

If you are having trouble finding it PM me, and I could either help you out, or guide you to someone else who can.

It's not available for sale anywhere except second hand physical copies. You'll have to track one down or just pirate it. I wouldn't generally advice piracy but in this case, you're not really hurting anybody financially because nobody is selling the damn thing.

Thanks, I found a copy. I don't feel bad not buying it since I did in fact buy the original game, and if not for this mod POTC would have been a complete bust for me anyways. If I remember correctly, I played a mod from this forum for Sea Dogs and was so hyped about Sea Dogs 2 until Disney ruined it.

But lots of fond memories of playing this mod in early development, installing now and excited to see what it's become.

Funny enough only reason I found this mod is because I was trying to find a game similar to the mod, a sandbox pirate game with little to no fantasy elements. As far as I can tell, there still is nothing.

Funny enough only reason I found this mod is because I was trying to find a game similar to the mod, a sandbox pirate game with little to no fantasy elements. As far as I can tell, there still is nothing.
Well it depends, some storylines have fantasy elements; like Tales of a Sea Hawk or Hoist the Colors.
But some storylines don't, and depending on your settings; you will not find much fantasy. As you said.

Good luck at sea! :cheers

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them. I don't mind light fantasy, but I'm really looking forward to the Hornblower quest series, that was always the series that motivated me to play this game genre so nice to see the two together.

True, it's about at the same level as stock PotC.

Except, CT which I think has no fantasy. But someone who has actually played it has to confirm this, @Cerez for example.

If that's what you're into, you might also like Buccaneers! when it releases. It's a similar kind of pirate game with no fantasy elements, but with a low-poly art style.
It's not quite as historically accurate as the New Horizons mod, but it's more grounded than most other pirate games released in recent years.

In the meantime, New Horizons is pretty much as good as it gets, especially in terms of content. :dance

True, it's about at the same level as stock PotC.

Except, CT which I think has no fantasy. But someone who has actually played it has to confirm this, @Cerez for example.
Stock CT has no fantasy elements indeed. It is much like Sea Dogs 1 in themes and gameplay -- it follows in its footsteps. I'm even hesitant to classify it a pirate game. It's a sailing game, more than anything else. But set in the Age of Sail and in the Caribbean, with battles, of course. What you choose to do is up to you -- so, yes, a Hornblower-style personal adventure story can very much work here.

Back