• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Why is the rum always gone? (may contain some spoilers)

Fitzy

Sailor Apprentice
:gday

Is it just me or does a single pirate drink more than a hundred weight of rum per day? It's either really weak rum I've been getting sold, or really tough pirates I'm hiring hehe :drunk I'm going to go ahead and asume that this is something thats happening to everyone and not some weird bug thats happening to me, it just seems like no matter how much rum I have it's gone within a day or so.

I played alot of POTC especially with build 13 and was last on these forums about 3 years ago, I played POTC again the other week and came back here to try out build 14 but then noticed everything thats been getting done for CoAS so went ahead and bought it from Game online.

Apart from the rum question theres a couple of other things I'm going to ask about.

I've not downloaded any mods for it yet as I'm still enjoying the stock game

The three characters we get to choose (unless we edit a file for more), Is there actually any difference between them, well the blood guy starts different and can only be English but the other two seem to be the same, the different character types seem to be pointless considering you can change the start stats of each to suit your play style or is there something I am missing with them?

Captain blood.

The game claims this guy is for experienced players so why is it that I find this to be the easiest start to the game? Not only are you given good weapons, alot of loot and a great frigate to work towards sailing, your also given a stack of cash and two officers, contrast this with say Ian Stance (or whatever his name is) who starts out plonked on an island with a little ship and not enough cash to repair it never mind hire crew etc (again unless you edit a file and give yourself a bit of gold to start) it just seems like a harder game than Captain blood, nothing difficult in any of the starts but Blood seems the easiest by far :ixi

I will admit my first play through with Captain blood was tricky, I left the start area hostile with England and with bounty hunters chasing me due to robbing the money lender it meant that as Jeremy Pitt says my only choice was to sail to a french port but it didnt take long to make enough cash to sort out the reputation with a diplomat, but after thinking things through, I've managed to get what I consider the perfect start for Blood.

During his quests at the point where you have to go back to the plantation to rescue Mr Pitt, I found out that its possible to reach Pitt and speak to him in order to update the quest without actually killing any English soldiers then run away from them back to town which means your still neutral with England add this to not stealing from the money lender means that there is no bounty hunters chasing you. Despite what Pitt says about not being able to go back to England as soon as you capture the frigate and escape you can turn right round and sail back into port, store the frigate and pick up the quest for the bluebird and from then on I've got two of the best ships around, I've no reputation troubles and can pretty much do what I like :cheers .

This seems like a flaw in the blood quest as it seems strange to be able to sail right back into the port and speak to everyone like your not an escaped slave, there seems to be no mention of the fact that me and my two officers are fugitives which leads me to my next question does anything happen further down the line to do with Blood being an escapee? I'm going to go ahead and say that there isnt considering that I've worked for the governer of port royal and been given a privateer licence.

There is a few other questions I was going to ask but now must head out to work so I will leave them for another time.

Summary.

Rum, Why is it always gone?

Character's, Any real gameplay difference apart from visual look?

Character types, Again any point to them?

Blood, Not really an escaped slave then?

I'm sure some of these question have been answered in other posts here, I've managed to find the answers to alot of my questions already but thought I would take the opertunity to make a post and maybe bump into some folk I knew from before at the same time.

p.s forgive me if I am wrong but it seems like alot of things in this game were once mods for POTC found in the build mod, is this true or am I imagining things? if its true did anyone get paid for their work? lol

Ahoy Captain Fitzpatrick, welcome back mate! :dance

I there are a couple of the reasons the Blood story line is considered the toughest, one is because it is so easy to make mistakes because there are a lot of things you have to do, and the fact that some of them are a bit bugged helps too! :wp

Also, when you get that frigate, your navigation skills are no where close to being able to handle her properly. I can see that beeing very difficult to overcome for someone who had no previous experience with Akella's pirate games. For people like you and me though, it really isn't that difficult of a challenge.

But you are correct, once you finish the escape, it is the most rewarding! That's an interesting note about the bug for the starting reputation with England, I had never noticed that myself, or seen it mentioned here. We should definitely look into trying to fix that one! It makes absolutely no sense at all to be able to sail right back into port and be treated like nothing ever happened. :facepalm

As far as I know, once you fix your reputation with England, Bloods past is never mentioned again, that was a bit of an oversight on Seawards part I think.

I believe all the different character types do is affect your starting skill points, but I have only ever played the game as one type. :shrug

They do have a habit of "acquiring" some of our ideas, and forgetting just where they came from. :wp

That's an interesting note about the bug for the starting reputation with England, I had never noticed that myself, or seen it mentioned here. We should definitely look into trying to fix that one! It makes absolutely no sense at all to be able to sail right back into port and be treated like nothing ever happened. :facepalm

As far as I know, once you fix your reputation with England, Bloods past is never mentioned again, that was a bit of an oversight on Seawards part I think.

I believe all the different character types do is affect your starting skill points, but I have only ever played the game as one type. :shrug

They do have a habit of "acquiring" some of our ideas, and forgetting just where they came from. :wp

Thanks for the reply I had kinda hoped that something would be later in the game about blood but alas it was not to be hehe

Killing the English guards to save Jeremy Pitt is not a requirement to update the quest its possible to either try sneaking past them or just blatantly running through them talk to pit even though there are two guards around him and then run back to town where the door is not locked, "fixing" this would mean either making the guards a requirement or locking the door if your in combat the way some other fights do. As soon as your in town theres no more English guards to mess up your rep. I think its even possible to kill a couple of them if need be before your rep is changed two or three is the limit i think.

The last time I escaped I turned around from the map screen and went back into port, the two luggers where there still but so where a couple of other English ships and a fully armed English fort needless to say the lugger's didnt last very long, everyone speaks to you like your their best friends and hadn't been a slave two minutes ago, its not very realistic I'm sure it wasn't meant this way maybe I've just discovered a bug/glitch, not all of them are bad hehe

I will just need to think that those responsible for my slavery were killed in the spanish attack this is why no mention is made of it.

At the very least I wouldve expected a duel with the guy who was responsible for your capture as a kind of end to the story before your allowed to go sailing, sort of tie up the loose ends, but I suppose we can't have everything xD:

All you need to do is store the frigate visit the store and your on the quest for the bluebird so it's even easier than the other starts if you can manage to escape with your rep intact.

At least there are some folk that know where these additions to the game started xD:

Back