• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Why is the rum gone?

Captain Armstrong

Shipbuilding Coordinator
Storm Modder
Okay so I have been having problems with running out of rum and not being able to resupply. while it will almost always show up as being available for purchase in stores, I can rarely buy it. this happens with food fairly often too. I can normally load my ship with it and be good for long enough to take some from a prize or find a port that actually sells it, but my luck ran out and I am stuck in a spiral of mutiny. :facepalm this wouldnt be so bad except for the fact that after I defeat the mutineers (for the second time, because cozumel wouldnt sell me any rum) the compass icon appears in the corner but wont work so I am stuck on the boarding deck and can't get out to sea. so yeah this thing about not being able to buy rum has been really annoying me for awhile now. :modding Has anyone else had this problem?

About the rum, yes, it is annoying. It happened to me aswell to be stuck on the deck on a munity. I can suggest only restarting, but you should post that in the Bug Tracker; there you will find better help :nk .

:j3

Anyway, like Akella Fan said, you would have better off putting this in the bug tracker if you believe it to be a bug.

Good Captains take care of their crew. :drunk Bad Captains get sent to Davey Jones's Locker. :walkplank Try to keep a 3 month supply of food and rum on board for those inevitable lean times.

I think we have the mutiny fixed for the next patch, so that's coming.

Unable to buy has been reported before, but I'm not sure how that one gets triggered.

You can always disable the requirement for Food/Rum in the Advanced Options menu.

I disabled food and rum, since I had a fleet of 4 1 rate ships of the line, and having to pay for food and rum for like every 2 trips got annoying, and eventually the shops were running a bit thin, so then I disabled it. Next time though, I'm thinking of playing on that Iron Man mode with Swashbuckler difficulty and double food and rum rations :dance

Is this Rum/Food issue just a menu issue(as in you can see the goods in the trade store but the buy/sell buttons won't transfer the stock) or just that the supplies are not available as the player has bought them all up previously?

If the later then we could/should just increase the base starting amount of these trade goods maybe? If a menu issue then maybe it is related to the same issue you sometimes get in your personal inventory screen when you move items between yourself and other officers or lockers/chests etc. Usualy the 'fix' for the 'arrow' transfer icon being 'greyed out' is to scroll to another item and try that, then if that works scroll back to the previous untransferable item and try again.

I'm wondering how much of this food and rum issue is caused by the Black Pearl? :nerbz When you talk to the townspeople they are talking about this ghost ship and how they are staying ashore until such time as it is dealt with. In my travels I notice how gradually there is less and less goods available to

sell, with the smaller colonies having empty cupboards. At the same time most players are getting more and bigger ships which demand much larger supplies. You can see the conflict here. In the game I am playing now I sunk the Black Pearl and the economy is slowly recovering. :j2 Methinks I

saved Bonaire last night. They were down to almost no money and no goods. I took a big loss on several shiploads of goods, but will get it back later. :xmas

In games where I know I won't be going after the Black Pearl I start off getting the biggest ships possible. Then when the economy fails I downsize to ships that the economy can support. The greyed out buttons are not a bug. The merchants will not sell all of their food but will only sell you their excess food.

wow, thanks for all the fast replies everyone! I do try to keep rum and food in stock, but I took some prizes at the end of a long cruise (this problem with the rum not really being available had stopped me from resupplying for awhile) and went into port to sell them and repair my own ship, which took a few days, so before I could do anything my rum was almost gone! :facepalm i guess I could have ressuplied first but as I found out later that wouldnt work. Yes the store officially had it in stock, showing how much they had and with the little red arrow on the icon and everything, but the 'buy' button was greyed out. strangely this didn't really happen when I startred this storyline, but the problem has grown over time. I have tried ending the conversation with the shopkeeper and restarting it, leaving the shop and re-entering, buying shot and powder and scrollng back to the rum, you name it. but none of that works. Interesting to learn abot the Black Pearl thing, can you actually effectively blokade an island by destroying the coastal trade and the like? I am playing my own free play storyline modified from master and commander and I have 2 unite/ boussole class frigates, which I guess are fairly large, but this bug (I think it is one, sorry I didnt put this in the bug tracker) has happened very often on islands and towns that I have never visited before, so I dont know what it is :? I think it has been too frequent at times for shopkeepers to just be holding on to their food, I have hit 3 or 4 islands in a row with this problem. Good to know about the rum option in the advanced options menu though, I shouldve looked there first! Another thing that I think is becoming a problem is I get stuck in boarding screens and cant advance to the next deck once I have defeated the enemy boarders. the icon to go to the next deck appears, but I cant use it. again I am not sure about this one, but it has happened a few times in a row now. I will try to confirm it soon. :keith

The boarding bug is a known problem, and even has a fix that has been posted somewhere(try the bug tracker forum maybe?) that will be included in the next patch/update. As for the Food/Rum thing, it sounds like the point Hylie Pistoff says, when a colony won't trade beyond a certain limit because they need the food+rum themselves. If that is the case we need to better ensure that supplies of food and rum are re-stocked more often or in greater quantities if the re-stocking already happens.

It might be part of the 'Food and Rum mod' already, and it is on my list to look at as i want to add Fruit to this mod(to stop scurvy/illness of the crew) at some point, and the whole balance of quantity i will try to address also to see if we can stop the problem. It may take me a while as i'm on plenty of other things currently! :nk

Another point. Some colonies will not sell you rum. Ever. :rumgone They are the Dutch colonies of Curacao, Bonaire, and Aruba. Also Eleuthera will not sell you rum. :j3 So if you hit 2 or 3 of those colonies in a row you can get yourself in trouble.

About the boarding problem, the solution is in the FAQ right above this thread. :mm

Thanks, I will check out the boarding bug fix right away. :keith I should have read through things properly! Adding the fruit and changing the stock of food/ rum sounds like an interesting Idea, though I agree, probably not of the highest priority. If/ when you or someone else do get around to creating it, it would be interesting to see grog, as a combination fruit and rum, which it really was, more or less. so it would keep morale high and stop illness, but naturally would be a more pricey choice. just a thought, but it could add more variety. :shrug

*Edit*
I tried the boarding fix, but it didn't work, I already had the line in there that you are supposed to add for some reason, but when it didn't work, I copy pasted the lines directly from the FAQ post, and it still doesn't work. :modding I did adjust the advanced options, so I no longer have to worry about rum :onya I also pressed f11 to apply the code changes severeral times, and f12 as suggested in the FAQ but still nothing :shrug any suggestions?

Okay, sorry about the double post, but the boarding bug happens every time now and is disrupting gameplay so much that the game is becoming impossible to play, I have tried everything suggested in the FAQ thread multiple times and I am still stuck, Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Try finding the Patch 7 WIP file that I've got posted somewhere; I recall putting the boarding fix in there.

Have you recently changed ship? It might work again with a different ship type.

Always start a new game, that's my rule of thumb, even if the changes you make are very small and you get told you won't need to. PotC is just that odd that i don't trust not doing a new game while we are still in beta :keith

good to hear :sail And just in time for the new patch, that might do odd things :doff but it's all in the name of science, and building a better build mod.

Back