• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Wiki Page on Flag Designs

ANSEL

Corsair
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
It will be good idea if there was some information about the background and history behind
the flags. First pirate flags: The red one with the arm and sword is the father of Nicholas Sharp
flag,connected to his dream about a free republic in Caribbean ( the flag of Liberia )but you
have to bee an old Seadog to know that. Then we have "Jolly Roger" but the others are they flags
of well known and famous pirate like blackbeard and Captain Flint or just fantasy flags .
Personal flags: I can see a Russian empire flag ,but there is a red one with the Russian Eagle on
I don't know. An American variant I don't know, and why is there an yellow bird in the Danish
flag? And so on it goes.
National flags: There are navy flags and merchant flags, Royal flags and republicans flags.
I think there are other people than me, who likes to know about such stuff too.
So maybe a " Book of Flags " in the game or something on WIKI, will bee very nice. :read

I like the idea of a book of flags.
As soon as I figured out a way to show images in books (somethings which I would like to add and think is possible :)) we can do that :p.

For the sake of reducing coding effort, I don't think we need it inside the game.
Maybe @Talisman would be up for adding that to the Wiki?

I am happy to put the information on the Wiki. :yes

Unfortunately - I don't know what most of the flags are or represent - most of the national ones I can work out ( but then most people should be able to do that) - but the Personal / Pirate ones are a complete mystery to me - some may be actual historical flags, others I am sure are ones that people ( players/modders) have made up so that they can use a personal standard it the game.

If anyone has information concerning the various flags that they are willing to share, they can put it on Wiki. I am happy to help them,:type1 or to do it for them. :doff

:cheers

I have fixed the swedish flag and pennant.

@ANSEL I intend to fix the danish as well. Move the cross from the middle and no birds.
Is this a correct danish pennant?

Attachments

• dansk vimpel.jpg
    dansk vimpel.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 121
Personal flags:
Row 4: Red Ensign with yellow horn is Hornblower's personal flag
Row 5: Green flag with yellow top and bottom bars plus yellow harp is from "Brave Black Flag"
Row 6: Don't know 1st flag. 2nd is independent Haiti, also personal flag of free-play Henri Caesar if I recall correctly. 3rd is Francis Drake. 4th is Jean Lafitte. 5th is John Paul Jones. 6th is Roxanne Lalliere. 7th is Milady de Winter.
Row 7: First three are earlier attempts at Milady De Winter, John Paul Jones and Jean Lafitte. The other four are duplicates of the last four of row 5.

National flags are three types - merchant, naval and fort. The French naval flag for "Napoleonic" is technically correct in that it did actually exist in the first few years, but it was replaced by the standard tricolour in 1794 because overall white had been the colour of the monarchy and was deemed unsuitable for a revolutionary flag. So for most of the period, including any storylines set after 1794 (e.g. "Hornblower", which starts in 1798), the naval flag really ought to be the tricolour.

Last edited:
So Apart from the National Flags - these are the other flags in the game :confused: ( Personal & Pirate )
PotC Flags_Personal.jpg
PotC Flags_Pirate.jpg

:read

:drunk

These are the flags that often decribes as some of the most (in)famous pirates:

Row 1: 1 Jack Rackham 2 Thomas Tew 3 --- 4 Emanuel Wynne 5 --- 6 Edward Teach 7 Jack Sparrow
Row 2: 1 Bartolomew Roberts 2 Stede Bonnet 3 --- 4 --- 5 --- 6 Christopher Moody 7 Edward Low
Row 3: 1 Bartolomew Roberts 2 Edward England 3 Dulaien and Walter Kennedy 4 John Avery/Henry Every 5 --- 6 --- 7 ---

According to some sources most of this is fiction.

Personal flag: Row 3:2
The father of Nicholas Sharp`s flag ( Flag of Liberia)

Last edited:
This thread has been moved and renamed so it won't be hidding far away in the "Build 15" subforum.

@Talisman: Do you think you have some useful details above to work from or do you need more?

Pirate flags:
Row 1: red flag with raised sword arm is used by the Animists in the "Strange Things Going On" side quest.

Storyline default flags:
"Assassin": Personal is row 2 flag 3, Pirate is row 1 flag 3 (Johan Elting is apparently an Animist xD)
"Bartolomeu": Personal is row 2 flag 2, Pirate is row 1 flag 5
"Devlin": Personal is row 1 flag 5, Pirate is row 2 flag 5
"Goldbug": Personal is row 4 flag 3, Pirate is row 3 flag 7
"Hornblower": Personal is row 4 flag 5, Pirate is row 2 flag 3
"Jack Sparrow": Personal is row 4 flag 1, Pirate is row 1 flag 7
"Standard": Personal is row 3 flag 1, Pirate is row 3 flag 2
"Woodes Rogers": Personal is row 5 flag 4, Pirate is row 3 flag 5
(Mostly from looking in "PROGRAM\Storyline\*.c and doing a bit of arithmetic on the 'sl.(sn).start.Flags.Personal' and 'sl.(sn).start.Flags.Pirate' lines. Row 1 flag 1 is 0 and there are 7 flags to a row.)

Row 1: red flag with raised sword arm is used by the Animists in the "Strange Things Going On" side quest.
[...]
"Assassin": Personal is row 2 flag 3, Pirate is row 1 flag 3 (Johan Elting is apparently an Animist xD)
It's not exclusively an Animist flag, of course; they just happen to use it.

The icon itself is a PiratesAhoy! logo of some kind. :cheeky

Back