• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Wind so slow I can't move?

dualhammers

Landlubber
Maybe I don't understand the purpose of this mod, but I remember even playing the build mod in POTC I could generally move my ship when I threw up my sails and set my back to the wind. I started a new game and trying to sail out of barbados took me literally 45 minutes just to get out of the harbor - it would have taken maybe a minute in POTC. I read in another thread someone was trying to create a direct sailing mod so you could sail from one island to another without stopping but there must be a problem with my game because I would assume you guys don't actually want to sit for days on end in front of your computer waiting to go a couple nautical miles.

So what am I doing wrong?

The wind speeds was set to be more random because they was unrealistic, in real life the wind played a very important factor. Look at the Spanish Armada, the English had to wait on the wind. I personally like this touch it adds much more realism to the game and makes the battles more strategical because you don't want to get courght between enemy ships when the wind drops leaving you at the mercy of the enemy ships around you.

The direct sailing mode will take a long time, we can't figure it out at the moment and when we do it will be implemented. I have sailed from Saint John's to Charlestown in direct sailing mode millions of times testing direct sail out. I've never sailed there and the town has been there but one day it will be. Look at the wind direction the chances are the enemy alway's has the weather gage on there side or when you've got a quest to deliver goods to a town or a quest from a AI hero the wind is alway's blowing against you. I have sailed a few times from Saint John's to Charlestown with the wind blowing against me for most of the journey, its frustrating as you watch your speed slowly creeping up as the wind direction changes a little but its what happened in real life aswell.

I remember even playing the build mod in POTC I could generally move my ship when I threw up my sails and set my back to the wind. I started a new game and trying to sail out of barbados took me literally 45 minutes just to get out of the harbor - it would have taken maybe a minute in POTC.
In Arcada Game Mode (stock game default), even when there's no wind or the wind is against you, you'll still move forward.
However, if you switch to Realistic Game Mode (Build 14 default), you will move backwards if the wind comes from ahead.
It all depends on the settings. :shrug

I remember even playing the build mod in POTC I could generally move my ship when I threw up my sails and set my back to the wind. I started a new game and trying to sail out of barbados took me literally 45 minutes just to get out of the harbor - it would have taken maybe a minute in POTC.
In Arcada Game Mode (stock game default), even when there's no wind or the wind is against you, you'll still move forward.
However, if you switch to Realistic Game Mode (Build 14 default), you will move backwards if the wind comes from ahead.
It all depends on the settings. :shrug

I think the major problem I have is unlike build mod when the wind is going 5 knots and I'm making 1.5 not having 30x mode is not fun at all when I am just trying to sail around an island.

I have not yet played the latest patch due to a corrupt file resulting in my need to reinstall the whole game (which I have yet to get to). But...

In the previous version 3.1.5 when I entered a battle with the wind behind me, you spawn in with the wind against you. This got VERY annoyed and threw the tactical benefict of approacing a hostile ship/fleet with the wind on the Caribbean Map, as soon as you got to the battle map the wind was now against you... :/ Has this been "fixed"?

You can use the weather from 3.1.5 if you wish, just go into Program and copy the folder called Weather and past that into your game directory saying yes to overwrite files and folders. We can't please everyone and if we did try we would annoy more than we pleased. You can use arcade in COAS which will do what POTC does, and you can use the + key on the numpad which will increase the game speed up to X6 when in a battle and X8 when not. The games wind speed changes every hour so its not like your sat sailing with no wind far half the day. at 1am there might be a slight wind up to .5 knots and at 2am it could be 9 knots, i don't see what the problem is to be honest. :shrug

@ Captain Hog
No sorry bud we haven't been able to find the course of that yet.

You can use the weather from 3.1.5 if you wish, just go into Program and copy the folder called Weather and past that into your game directory saying yes to overwrite files and folders. We can't please everyone and if we did try we would annoy more than we pleased. You can use arcade in COAS which will do what POTC does, and you can use the + key on the numpad which will increase the game speed up to X6 when in a battle and X8 when not. The games wind speed changes every hour so its not like your sat sailing with no wind far half the day. at 1am there might be a slight wind up to .5 knots and at 2am it could be 9 knots, i don't see what the problem is to be honest. :shrug

@ Captain Hog
No sorry bud we haven't been able to find the course of that yet.

The problem might be that some don't like to stay sitting and doing nothing for hours in front of their computer waiting the wind to change! It's true that in real life, sailors sometime had to wait for days for wind to come! But he! they had nothin' else to do of their day than wait ;-) see my point. sometime it gets frustrating to wait 30 minutes or more in front of your screen because the wind change from 0.5 to 0.1 and back to 0.9 and you have to sail against it...

There's a sloution to this then, a switch. This way everyone can choose which they want, the realistic feel or not.

I personally like this touch it adds much more realism to the game and makes the battles more strategical.
I disagree with that. I think making the wind speed random only serves to make the battles more random. I had the exact same problem as the OP trying to get out of the harbor and since the battle is pretty much impossible to survive except by running away I had to reload half a dozen times until I got a favorable wind. Strategy, that ain't.

Edit: Yes, it is definitely just more annoying, nothing more. I just got into a battle and just as I needed to get away with my prize the wind died down and I got shot to bits. Now yes, in reality the wind can die down as well, but it does so gradually. Here it went from 10+ to 0.something in a second. Blatantly unrealistic and incredibly infuriating. Waiting for strong wind and maneuvering around the enemy to a favorable position in relation to the wind direction, that is IMO done on the overmap.

Therefore, a question: How can I turn the wind strength randomization off?

From what I've seen, go to programs\weather\init, and change Weathers[n].Wind.Speed.Min = 0.0; to something else in all the files except common.c and special.c (and daystorm.c, since in that one wind.speed.min is set significantly higher).

But that's just a guess, since I don't have installed vanilla to compare with CMV3.2 and no time to play with it at the moment to test it out. Alternatively you can enable debugger and use F11 -> F9 to switch wind speed to 9.5 in emergency situations :)

Thanks for the reply, but that just set the minimum wind speed, the randomization still happens within that range. It's better than nothing, but what I'm really interested in is disabling it completely. Even in vanilla if you waited long enough the wind speed would change, but it seems to me it's happening significantly quicker here. That leads me to think there's a value somewhere in the files that determines how often it changes.
And while we're on the subject, how do I turn the day and night cycle off? IIRC vanilla didn't have that, and I much preferred it that way.

From what I've noticed it's still the same, it changes each full hour (when minutes get to 00), but range was much smaller i think - lowest wind speed was 5.0 (or maybe even 5.5).

Anyway, I think I noticed in one of the weather files part of the code where frequency of weather/wind changes is defined. Will take a look tonight when I get back home, maybe I can find it again.

Awesome. I really appreciate it, as it's driving me nuts. I wouldn't mind the change itself, it's the way it comes with no warning and goes from a gale to total calm or vice versa instantly. If we can't have it gradual, I'd rather not have it at all.
On a tangentially related point, anyone know what exactly the wind speed number represents? Meters per second or something else?

Awesome. I really appreciate it, as it's driving me nuts. I wouldn't mind the change itself, it's the way it comes with no warning and goes from a gale to total calm or vice versa instantly. If we can't have it gradual, I'd rather not have it at all.
On a tangentially related point, anyone know what exactly the wind speed number represents? Meters per second or something else?

My opinion would be that it represents the knots... Or the Km/hour. But more realistically the knots. It's only an opinion!

My opinion would be that it represents the knots... Or the Km/hour. But more realistically the knots. It's only an opinion!

Hard to tell. For kph/mph speed would be too slow (20 kph wind would be nothing more than a breeze) :wp I guess same goes for knots, tho from ship speed point of view they make sense (for ship speed it could also be kph). Meters per second I guess for wind, tho that 20.0 max would be no more than 67 kph or about 40 knots (a bit less than 40 I think).

Anyway, back on topic. In "\program\weather\" there's whrweather.c file. Anyway, there is one function I suspect that is affecting the weather changes - on line 1167 there's Whr_WindChange . Though I can barely read C code, so I could be miles off target.

EDIT: Just took another look at that part of code, looks like it only randomizes wind direction when entering "sail mode"...

From what I've seen, go to programs\weather\init, and change Weathers[n].Wind.Speed.Min = 0.0; to something else in all the files except common.c and special.c (and daystorm.c, since in that one wind.speed.min is set significantly higher).
Okay, I did that, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Do I need to start a new game for it to work? I hope not.

Okay, I did that, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Do I need to start a new game for it to work? I hope not.

I don't know, probably - still haven't got a chance to try it out

Nope changing the wind speed value's doesn't require a new game, i have replaced the inter weather folder in the past without having to start over, i did use the reinit button to be on the safe side but i don't think its programed to update the game of changes made in the weather folder but could be wrong. I used it anyway just in case.

Well I did start a new game just before reading your post and the wind still goes all the way to zero. :?

Back