• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP - 24lb Cannon Model

Captain Murphy

Actually a Captain
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Programmer
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
Working on a Blomefield pattern 24lb smoothbore cannon. Here are a couple renders of iron and bronze variations. Using a few different versions (more Walker and Co than Carron Co style) for the look and markings.

7xYnuLM.jpg

NbW4UiI.jpg

qQUi5Gt.jpg

sxgOXYS.jpg

TOL4Zri.jpg

As I get it closer to complete I will post some more progress pics. As it is, I think I am around 40% done. Still have to create animations and the other 5+wood colors as well as finish up the detail dirt and dings to be more like a 'used' gun.

C5FfJUn.jpg

Updated the model a bit. Remolded the rope ring to higher poly because the old one looked rather out of place. Ended up redoing the UV's again so I could get higher texel near the detailed and engraved sections. Also testing it with the USS Constitution as the backdrop for a bit more authenticity.

Almost fooled me with that backdrop, I thought you modelled that too!

Did you paint all that tarnish by hand, or it is generated somehow?

A lot of the wear is generated based on the height and world normals, with a bit of grunge and perlin thrown in for random wear here and there. After that there are masks to keep the wear from occurring in the areas where AO is more prevalent. After the generators are run through a few different variations I will then go through and add layers for more wear or grunge that is more specifically placed. I like working in Substance Painter due to all of the layers you can put onto the meshes, similar to using Photoshop.

Today it is all the fun of animating the gun and building the actions that get tied into the Mecanim in Unity.

First pass on the animation. Still trying to get the wheel timing to look right while still ending at exactly 360 degrees when complete. Will keep tweaking the distance it recoils until I can get it pretty close.

Time for the math to begin with lots of trial and error! I am aiming for a max range of around 4200m and a muzzle velocity of ~510m/s. I got pretty close after a while with the 24lb gun. Not sure if it is 100% accurate to the real flight of the ball, but that will do for game purposes.

upload_2018-4-4_14-56-14.png

Waiting for Unity to publish it on the Asset store. In the meantime here is a demo video of it.

If not for the geometry edges appreciable in the barrel in those close-up shots, I would have thought it was a photograph. Well done, sir!

Back