• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP - HMS Ontario

I feel like I'm missing something. What is that?

Is it a simulator where you can adjust all sails and masts individually?
And with the lateral point and sailing point changing accordingly?
And with the effect of rudder angle being considered as well?
After the past few months, I'm finally beginning to understand that and it's sounds doable in a simulation.
I could probably find a whole bunch of people now who would be very interested!
You hadn't heard of the HMS Surprise sim? Wow, you are in for a treat.

You hadn't heard of the HMS Surprise sim? Wow, you are in for a treat.
Now that you mentioned it and @Bava showed it, it does ring a bell.
I must've seen it at some point, got immediately confused from all the numbers and forgot just about everything about it immediately after.

Now that I see it again, it makes far more sense than it used to do.
Worth investigating at some point.
Or, better yet, wait for your vastly improved version!!
How much development time would you need for that?

I am currently taking the source code of it apart to see how he is doing the slip calculations which is the only thing in ToW I didn't really do as well as I wanted. I was using Froude for drag/slip, Archimedes for buoyancy, and a mix of Newton and Bernoulli for the sail pressure, so if the same applies in his source then it will be a matter of creating the UI for it, which I don't know will be terribly intensive, but I know will take more time than it should, lol.

UI could quickly become very confusing.
Are clickable sails on the 3D model itself an option?
And then have a toggle to show all the physical points and numbers displayed in 3D on top of the ship?

(I feel like I may be asking the kind of stuff @Post Captain has been strongly hinting for years.... :oops: )

Actually, my goal would be to make it completely VR. Skip making the UI flat for 2d and force all interactions to be 3D from the deck.

Excellent, that's what I was hoping for!

(Assuming it'll work without VR equipment too. ;) )

Well, VR meaning more that the UI will be displayed in 3D space instead of as a 2D overlay on the view. I just want to have the player as a character that can walk around the deck and look at things for the 'UI' rather than have a persistent display over the view. I have a new char controller that works PERFECT on boats and should be good for the first person view, so it won't be hard for that one. I would like to make each part of the UI 'compartmentalized' so that it will be as simple as adding a sail component and that does all the actual work as far as sail settings, UI, physics, etc.

upload_2018-4-18_14-28-7.png

@Bava These are the only decent rigging references I have found in my books. This is from Harland's, and shows most of the rigging like a snow but nothing specific for snows other than general diagrams. I still can't find exactly where the sheet attached for the Ontario, so I went with a double sheet (one on each bulwark) design instead of a block and tackle in the center. Mostly for aesthetics since the tackle would be right in the players way at the helm.

What did you do in those 41 years?
I'm curious now!

off topic: I went through many phases. First I mostly worked with welders, then did rigging for many years and ran 2 cranes a few times along with many problems involving large pipes going into small holes. Then moved to instruments and controls, and finally pressure testing completed piping systems. But mostly I was a Steel Walker whose boots only touched the ground during lunch and to go home.

on topic: Everything I saw in my searches showed that sailors were very energetic with a lot of time on their hands so they came up with some insanely complicated rigging even in the 1400s. For frame rate purposes it is best to leave 3/4ths or more of it off.

Finishing up the last bit of work on the ship model and readying it for the asset store now.

I ended up reworking the entire ship hierarchy to make it cleaner for the dynamic lines and guns so it saves me time on the backend for later changes.
Everything I saw in my searches showed that sailors were very energetic with a lot of time on their hands so they came up with some insanely complicated rigging even in the 1400s. For frame rate purposes it is best to leave 3/4ths or more of it off.
I have 4 books with lord knows how many variations of rigging in them. I am just trying to make a 'basic' version of the rigging at this point. Something that is plausible and functional. As for the performance, with that single ship and all of the lines I sit easily over 400-500fps with or without the lines, so it seems they are pretty performant so far. I don't want to push it too far as the model is only around 42k tri and those lines add more on.

That looks awesome.

Just wondering, is the Spanish coat of arms visible in the texture tab used for anything or just some kind of placeholder? Because that coat of arms is the modern one, only exists from 1978 onwards.
Sin título.jpg
The coat of arms for the period would be, depending on the exact timeframe, this
330px-Flag_version_of_the_Coat_of_arms_of_Spain_%281785-1873_%26_1875-1931.png
or this

That looks awesome.

Just wondering, is the Spanish coat of arms visible in the texture tab used for anything or just some kind of placeholder? Because that coat of arms is the modern one, only exists from 1978 onwards.
View attachment 32211
The coat of arms for the period would be, depending on the exact timeframe, this
330px-Flag_version_of_the_Coat_of_arms_of_Spain_%281785-1873_%26_1875-1931.png
or this
Yeah, that was for testing the sail shader. It allows for placing a logo on the front of the sail and manages the translucency of the light through the logo. The sail system is now a 2 sided shader that does light translucency much better and very cheap. It also can manage using a opacity map for showing holes and damage.
upload_2018-4-20_8-19-23.png

Also handles a detail normal map so up close it has more cloth look to it.
upload_2018-4-20_8-20-58.png

Back