• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP - HMS Shannon (1806) 38 guns

In Maya, all you have to do is uncheck a box labelled 'double sided' and if the faces are flipped the wrong way, the normals must be reversed.

FBX would be great :)
Which version(s) of FBX can SketchUp import, do you know? I can export to any version between 2014 and 2006, but I'm not sure which is most suitable.

Looking good! :) Just remembered looking at an earlier pic: If you haven't yet, be sure to align the head gratings with the curve of the top headrail, they shouldn't be flat. You were probably planning on doing that anyway, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sketchup 8 came out last year, so perhaps the 2011 or 2012 version of FBX?

Captain Armstrong, do you mean lower down and following the red line here?

OK, I've exported a carronade (made by Captain Armstrong) and two different size cannons to FBX 2012 format.
They're scaled in metres, and if you're using different working units, they may show up as 100 times too small or something. Should be easy to rescale them if that happens.
Look for CannonsPack.7z HERE. Also included the textures for you. ;)

Shannon has her teeth :D

Still working out how to get the textures to import with the meshes, but I'm not the patient type xD

Did you see this picture, or are the spar lengths still incorrect here?

My initial error was including the studding sail booms into the spar dimensions, this is now corrected, and to me the spars appear accurate to the plan.

I should have said positions instead of proportions. My apologies.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks as though the individual mast pieces are almost touching each other in the portion where they run parallel,called the doubling. There should be some pretty good separation in between them. The doublings also look extremely tall to me, although it could be an optical illusion. All the yards appear too close to the doublings above them, where applicable.

I've moved the lower edge of the doubling up to align with the top, added a few inches of separation between mast pieces and given the overall mast a rake of 2 degrees.

Overall appearance (I've only adjusted the lower doubling on the mainmast until you confirm this is the right direction)

Do you have any typical examples of mast and spar diameter for a ship like this?

Looks good! But no carronades? no chasers?
Still trying to import the carronades, currently Sketchup returns an error message for a missing material. I've tried putting the tgas in a folder called textures, but no luck yet.

Oddly enough the cannon will import, minus the textures but otherwise functional, so I've just painted them brown and black for now, will have to replace them all when I figure out the texture import.

As far as I know the chasers are just the first and last pair of topdeck guns, moved between ports as required, so I've left the chaser ports empty for now. Will have to add the chasers since games don't support this.

That's weird about the carronades not importing. I've just checked the file and might have fixed the problem, but I'm not sure.
Try the attached version anyway and see if it works.

Attachments

• Carronade1.7z
    133.6 KB · Views: 136
The doubling looks right on the mainmast/topmast. I probably have some examples somewhere, but at the moment, I don't have any time at all to dig them up. CA may be able to help.

Thanks, but still no luck importing the carronades. :(

Found a list of mast and spar diameters for the USS Constitution, I've used those with an inch or two taken off each.

Anything I should be doing differently with the shroud placement and tops?

for diameters, so long as they match the sparplan of the trincomalee they should be fine. I'm not familiar enough with spar diameters to know if taking an inch or two off the constitution's diameters would give an accurate size for a leda class frigate. the shroud placement looks good, but it seems to go a little too far up. they would loop through the very bottom of the doubling above the top, but it might so to just have them end there. For the length of the doubling itself, just follow the sparplan.

Thanks, I moved the shrouds down a fraction :)

Constitutions diameters should serve, no one will be able to spot the difference between a 22in mast and a 20in mast :D

I suspect you already know this, but modelling rigging is a pain...

It looks like there might be some stays missing or out of position... I'd have to look at a rigging plan for that specific class of frigate to be sure. Unfortunately, I'll still be extremely busy for at least another few weeks. Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment.

Back