• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Worth it?

Klund

Landlubber
I'v seen the horrible reviews for the game, incredibly buggy etc, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Is it worth buying right now? I loved Sea Dogs, but did not like Pirates of the Caribbean very much at all until I replayed it with the build mods from here then I loved it. I suppose what I really wish to know is what kind of review would the game have gotten if it shipped with the mods installed that are in the mod section here on the forums? The "supermod". Does it alleviate many of the bugs and crashes? How does it stack up with the modded POTC?

With Akella's track record in the last several years, I would think they would be much better off if they began developing these games then just sent it here to Pirates Ahoy for the modders to fix everything they did wrong before release. Here I thought Disney getting involved with Sea Dogs II was a terrible thing, maybe it was the best thing.

<!--quoteo(post=167832:date=Oct 17 2006, 10:17 AM:name=Klund)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Klund @ Oct 17 2006, 10:17 AM) [snapback]167832[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I'v seen the horrible reviews for the game, incredibly buggy etc, but I figured this would be the best place to ask. Is it worth buying right now? I loved Sea Dogs, but did not like Pirates of the Caribbean very much at all until I replayed it with the build mods from here then I loved it. I suppose what I really wish to know is what kind of review would the game have gotten if it shipped with the mods installed that are in the mod section here on the forums? The "supermod". Does it alleviate many of the bugs and crashes? How does it stack up with the modded POTC?

With Akella's track record in the last several years, I would think they would be much better off if they began developing these games then just sent it here to Pirates Ahoy for the modders to fix everything they did wrong before release. Here I thought Disney getting involved with Sea Dogs II was a terrible thing, maybe it was the best thing.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the reviews would have changed much. Even with the Supermod there are still CTD's, and the areas the mod unlocks don't really do a lot. Yes, you can now visit the bank and brothel, and buy a house in Guadaloupe. You can also go in some houses, but there is nothing to do in them. Same with the jungle. You can now visit it, but there's nothing there, aside from some brigands who will just stand there and do nothing while you kill them.
There's just a lot of missing content, and the game is indeed "half-baked" as Gamespot put it. As the game is now, I wouldn't recommend paying full price for it; look for a bargain on eBay or something. Right now the game seems to me very much like PotC was before the mods. Maybe after a bunch more modding AoP will be worthwhile. As for me I've shelved it for a while and am playing PotC with the latest build...

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know. I guess I'll wait til the mods begin filling these empty areas. Probably be in the bargain bin by then. I'm just not willing to shell out money for another half made game, just bought The Guild II which sounds very similar to this game (half done, extremely buggy, CTD's all the time).

Back