• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Would there be a way to make a nobility title section

Lord Horatio Nelson

1st Duke of Bronté
Storm Modder
Hello, does anyone think that there would be a way for me to make a nobility title slot and as a title that is similar to the navy title? Like does anyone think there would be a way to have the noble titles show up as a type of title but not part of the character's name?

In PotC:NH, you get either a navy title or a nobility one.
Depends on whether you play as a Naval Officer or are promoted as Privateer.

Navy officers do get "Sir" appended to their name at some point though.

Easier that way than having two separate title systems for the same character at the same time.

Actually I did do what I wanted, but at the very low expense of having no way to see what exp rank rate. This will be included in me mod, but at the moment the nobility title has to be set manually.

You can add any new constant to the game by attaching it to a character object/node. You can then set this constant and call upon it in character dialogue, based on which character the player is talking to.

I'll have to refresh my memory, but I'll see if I can give you direct pointers.

Edit:
Code:
// Add the NPChar object to the dialogue file:
ref NPChar;

// Create a "nobletitle" constant, by setting it:
NPChar.nobletitle = "Count";

// Then, to call upon it in the dialogue text:
dialog.text = "Welcome" + NPChar.nobletitle + "! We've been expecting you!"

// To clear/remove the "nobletitle" constant:
DeleteAttribute(NPChar, "nobletitle");
Take care not to overwrite existing nodes/constants. Choose a name that is unique/unusual/unorthodox. (You can even append your own name or initials to it.)

You can also set a range of titles to use in text, programmatically, by making "nobletitle" a node with children:
Code:
NPChar.nobletitle.count = "Count";
NPChar.nobletitle.prince = "Prince";
If you want this set to follow you around, no matter what character you are talking to, attach it to the player character object, "PChar", instead of "NPChar".

Last edited:
Oh I know what your talkingabout.. I already have a whole new NTitle thing going on but no character addresses my character like that. Thanks for helping. Where do I add that kind of thing in?

Last edited:
I already have a whole new NTitle thing going on but no character addresses my character like that. Thanks for helping. Where do I add that kind of thing in?
You would need to define that way of address in the dialogue files for the characters. In the text that is used to address the main character. If they are still in the same location as in CT, you will find the dialogue files in: Program/dialogs/[your language]/

For example:
Code:
"Glad to see you, " PChar.ntitle + " " + PChar.name + ". If you need my services, feel free to ask."
Provided that "PChar.ntitle" holds the word/string "Count", and the default "PChar.name" holds "Olaf", in the game this will display in dialogue as:
"Glad to see you, Count Olaf. If you need my services, feel free to ask."

If you programmatically change "PChar.ntitle" to hold "Prince" instead, when this line is reached in the dialogue it will say:
"Glad to see you, Prince Olaf. If you need my services, feel free to ask."

Of course this does mean that if you want to support mutliple languages, you will need to make this change to the same file in more or all language folders.

If "PChar.ntitle" is empty, it will be equal to nothing ("") in the dialogue's text.

Last edited:
Ok but can you read my post about deleting the start game tutorial, so that can be solved and this title thing can proceed. Please? Also CT is a bit different than COAS.

Last edited:
PotC has a GetMyAddressForm function.
That is used in all dialogs.
Then you only need to tweak one piece piece of code to add this.

Back